Home General Fishing

Time to respool

XafXaf Posts: 1,105 Officer
I need to respool the reel I use for bottom fishing. I want to use 65 lb hi vis braid. What brand/line would you recommend and why (cost, strength, etc.) Any input appreciated.

Replies

• bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    I use Moss Green 65# Powerpro on my bottom reels. Don't need "hi-vis" line for bottom fishing.:nono
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,061 Moderator
    Jerry Brown, white, cause it's the best. Also hollow so you can splice a mono topshot with no knots
  • spydermonkeyspydermonkey Posts: 765 Officer
    Chinese ebay stuff. Not as nice as brand name stuff but a heck of a lot cheaper.
    "Insert intelligent sounding quote here"
  • John MannJohn Mann Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    I love spectra !
    Commercial buddy turned me onto it and I 've never seen anything hold up so long. Problem though,
    Try to pull out a hang up and you may lose fingers.
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    John Mann wrote: »
    Try to pull out and you may lose fingers.

Interesting concept. It was never my fingers that I thought were in jeopardy.
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    "XAF".....

A buddy of mine would re-spool each and every year....and I would do it for him....though I told him that it really didn't need to be done...

With great big Fin-Nor reels he would go though thousand of yards of braid every year.

I would back wind it on my reels.......maybe you can do the same?
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,822 Captain
    I'm guessing since you want hi-vis for bottom fishing you are going to be around lots of other fisherman on a charter?

I would guess you don't want cheap performance but don't want to spend top dollar on line you may lose a whole lot of unexpectedly in that possible tangle mayhem situation that comes with that style fishing.

So for that application I would say the best bet for strength and performance plus a great cost point is Tuf-Line XP braid in yellow.
    It comes in 300, 600, 0r 1200 yard spools. Sold many places, even on Amazon and ebay.

I think it is head and shoulders above the other lower price point offerings for this application.
    I am talking bottom fishing here and not considering "cast-ability" or tip wraps or any of that inshore type stuff into the choice, just to clarify before all the inshore guys pile on with their comments.

I wouldn't know of any of that stuff because I don't even use "braid" unless I am fishing 27 fathoms and deeper, shallower I use mono.:wink
  • MateauMateau Posts: 268 Deckhand
    Pilchard wrote: »
    Interesting concept. It was never my fingers that I thought were in jeopardy.

Well played
    :applause:applause
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,105 Officer
    Bonephish - I need the hi-vis so I can see the line to get out of tangles and see where my line is at night. I've used moss green in the past and could not see my line at night.
    Schmidt - it's been well used and already been reversed.
    CountryBumpkin - you hit the nail on the head. I'll take a look at the Tuff Line. I also use mono unless I'm fishing deep water even then I usually use a mono topshot.
  • SullyKeysSullyKeys Posts: 92 Deckhand
    I have been using Seaguar Kanzen braid lately and i love it. It is fairly cheap, and quite strong. I recommend this line for anyone who is looking for a cheap, reliable braid, hope this helps! Happy Fishing!