Home General Fishing

What's the difference between Fluorocarbon LINE and Fluorocarbon LEADER?

Specifically the Red Label Seaguar.

I bought the 20# LINE at Walmart for $12 for 175 yds.

The 20# LEADER is also $12 but it's only 25 yds.

Is there a major difference? Can the LINE be used as a LEADER for inshore fishing for reds and snook?

Replies

• JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    enough reading here for awhile>
    https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&gws_rd=ssl#hl=en&q=What%27s+the+difference+between+Fluorocarbon+LINE+and+Fluorocarbon+LEADER%3F

Remember Google is your friend so is our search feature... oh don't get me wrong you will get all kinds of
    personal feedback> Some will think there is no differences while others like myself know that nothing beats
    the real stuff... Nothing!!! :grin

Bottom line> just like with anything we use.. YOU have to have faith in something or it wont work for you
    no matter what anybody said... :wink
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • jsrodguy1jsrodguy1 Posts: 552 Officer
    The main difference between the leader and the line is the abrasion properties built into the leader. If you’re fishing on the flats with little or no structure go with the main line. The other option is to look or ask for Seaguar STS leader it comes in 100 yard spools at a much better cost the only limit will be it only goes up to 50 lb. test. Probably won't be able to find STS at Wal-Mart ask for it at a tackle dealer.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Leader materials, whether mono or fluoro is just flat out tougher and more abrasion resistant. Can you get away with running plain mono or fluoro main line as your leader? Sure. But it isn't as tough. Whether or not the cost is worth the benefit is personal preference.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    I buy 20# Vanish (100% Fluorocarbon) "line" for leader material and have never had a problem. I have used every brand of Fluorocarbon leader material and notice no difference in performance. I feel the knot strength is better with 20# Vanish than 20# Seaguar. But maybe that's just me.:wink
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,174 AG
    Savy anglers know when to use mono leaders...... and when the ADDED COST OF FLURO IS WORTH THE COST.
    There is a difference as there is in Hammers or saws or any other tool.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,833 Captain
    Is there a major difference?

Of course their is a "major" difference.

A 41 cent per yard difference.:hairraiser :rotflmao :grin
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,425 Admiral
    What are the differences between Seaguar fluorocarbon Leaders and Seaguar fluorocarbon Lines?

a. Strength - While both are strong and will withstand the lb test listed, leader and tippet are stronger over shorter lengths and are not designed to be a long, main line product. The main lines are designed to take the impact load over a much longer distance, transferred throughout the line.

b. Double Structure Technology - Our TATSU line, Blue Label (FC) and Fluoro Premier leaders, and Grand Max, and Grand Max FX tippets are all Double Structure, a Seaguar exclusive process that injects two different molten resins through a special die. The resins are extruded as one solid piece. The harder, inside resin contributes to the Tensile Strength, while the softer, outside resin creates greater Knot Strength.

c. Price - Leaders and Tippets are more difficult to produce because of double structure and the resins involved, therefore line is less expensive and leader/tippets cost more.

d. Resins - Since Seaguar is the only fluorocarbon brand in the world that makes its own resins, different exclusive resins are used for all of our products. The resins in our line are different than the resins in our leaders.

http://seaguar.com/applications/faqs.html

For the record , I hardly ever splurge for the good stuff. Most of my fishing is done with Ande mono leader material.