Home General Fishing

Alberto knot vs FG knot

michauxiimichauxii Posts: 54 Deckhand
I forget which FS member (Gowge or Bonephish) turned me onto the Alberto knot... with three locks!
It has served me very well for several years when tying braid to fluorocarbon leader. And is pretty easy to tie after a tad of practice.

Recently started playing with the FG knot... anyone know what "FG" stands for?

Tougher for me to tie,but it's an interesting knot that I will purse.

Anyhow, have any of you fellers compared the two or have experience with either?

Again, what does FG stand for?

Thanks!

Replies

• 1simplemann1simplemann Posts: 200 Deckhand
    "FG" I have no idea. For me, I have no reason to tie it. It takes me too dang long. I can tie it but not quick enough to suit my needs. The new videos help but still too long to tie and I can't tie it reliably especially in a kayak. Now the "Alberto", that's my go to knot. Plenty strong for my needs. If I properly set my drag, I never have to worry about that knot breaking. In fact, it never has. I'm with you though, you have to tie a lock or your asking for trouble if your casting it thru the guides. I have had it unravel twice because I didn't tie a lock. "Crazy Alberto" lives in FL now I'm told but he's a well known Striper fisherman from the Northeast. Never had the opportunity to meet him but I'm told he has wealth of knowledge and a very nice guy.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    Al gore invented it right before he made the Internet :rotflmao
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,406 Captain
    You really can't compare the two. The Alberto is a modified Albright that gained popularity long before it was ever called an Alberto, it's been around for a long time. There are better knots out there, but the Alberto is more or less idiot proof. I laughed the first time I saw the FG, I couldn't imagine a knot that was less practical (turns out the PR knot is was at less practical). Anyway, did some testing and the FG is the real deal, as long as it's tied correctly.
  • 1simplemann1simplemann Posts: 200 Deckhand
    Ol DC , You said a couple of thing that are true. 1st The Alberto knot is idiot proof which is why I tie it. 2nd FG knot is the real deal as long as you tie it correctly which is why I don't tie it. I can't seem to get the hang of it on smaller diameter leaders but that ok because I don't need the extra strength and the Alberto goes thru the guides just fine with smaller diameter leader.
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    The FG is great if you have time and daylight... but these old eyes aren't what they use to be and if you are fishing late at nite...
    simple is always better IMO... don't get me wrong I tie the FG before I leave the house, but if I need to retie... I don't trust myself
    and I would need a spotlight and reading glasses to get it right..heh heh..
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • John MannJohn Mann Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Wow.....
    I feel behind the times..... I still use a bimini twist to an Albright special or bimini to bloodshot if
    the lizard closer in diameter.
    Think you should use whatever knots you can tie in the dark. Confidence catches fish.
  • linhlinh Posts: 327 Officer
    Fg and Pr knot is really popular with the jigging and popping crowd. I would not tie these at night thats for sure.