Home General Fishing

What is your favorite lipped/diving plug?

Snookman77Snookman77 Posts: 1,099 Officer
What is your favorite lipped/diving plug? I fish for Snook around inlets:

Examples:

X-rap
Bomber Long A
Yo Zuri Crystal Minnow

And, the not as popular Unfair Lures Stickminno.

Thank you!

Replies

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,455 AG
    500-14.jpg
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    Xrap black with red neck for snook
    xrap 3- on blue mackerel for grouper trolling
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    Offshore: I'm still looking for the best one to troll behind my kayak when I'm heading out to deep water. I have a Live-target lipped sardine, and that caught a Mahi one time, but has seen no action since. I guess one can't go wrong with Yozuri Crystal Minnow. Going to try this one next time:

Inshore, I have a Yozuri 3DS minnow that seems to be trout candy, but has yet to catch anything larger.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,023 AG
    Mrichardson posted my choice -- old school Rapala floating minnow.

If I were fishing snook, however, I'd probably go with the Bomber Long A -- it's a more durable lure.

I've never been a fan of the Yozuri lures -- they simply haven't produced for me and it's not for a lack of trying.

I've never used the Stickminno or the Xrap.

All of the above said, if I were fishing for snook near an inlet, I'd be using a jig and not a diving plug.
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Tarponator wrote: »

All of the above said, if I were fishing for snook near an inlet, I'd be using a jig and not a diving plug.

This.... or this:
  • Snookman77Snookman77 Posts: 1,099 Officer
    I've tried those Storms, but have had better luck with the Berkley Powerbait Shads.

I am using the diving plugs because of the rough surf we've had the past week. I hooked a couple yesterday on the Long A, but lost it. I'll be picking up another.
  • Silent snookerSilent snooker Posts: 378 Deckhand
    xrap in ghost. tried them all and always go back to it. make sure if you buy the smaller models you change out the hooks.
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    I only throw lipped plugs for tarpon and used the long a bomber exclusively until recent years. I have been experimenting with some plugs designed for Muskie and others designed for striped bass that I picked up on cape cod a couple years ago on a tuna trip.

However, 99% of the time, I believe there are better options than lipped plugs.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,536 Captain
    There isn't a fish on the west coast that I haven't caught with a floating big lipped rebel.
  • humblerhumbler TampaPosts: 131 Deckhand
    Old school floating Rap #11 or #13 or the X-Rap in olive are always with me when I'm throwing divers. I have thrown long A's a lot but get no love with them.
  • Zaraspooker123Zaraspooker123 Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    I'd Redtail hawk it around the inlets but lipped plugs like the Yo-zuri crystal minnow get the job done too. I've always had great luck with the crystal minnow especially in that pattern where it looks purple-ish or light blue on the top and shiny silver on the sides. It's great for working around shallow to mid-depth structure like seawalls, right in the break at the beach, or in your case along the jettys or other holding spots in the inlets. Good luck catch em up!
    1997 Egret 18'9'' Proud owner and caretaker. Fly and light tackle enthusiast. Rip lips! :USA :cool: :hail:wink

HSL Love my town
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,406 Captain
    I like a wide cadence on lipped swimmers. Healthy bait swims with tight, efficient movements. A bait that's been jacked up swims slow and wide. The Rapala fmag 18 is probably my favorite, but it doesn't cast very well. If I need distance I use daiwa SP minnows, or xrap14's.
  • captkylekelsocaptkylekelso Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Bomber windcheater!
    Capt. Kyle Kelso
    All Water Charters
    Key West, FL