Home General Fishing

Protection From The Wind...

haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain
For fishing, and even more importantly to me, safe, comfortable boating. For whatever reason this concept is something I can't get right. The way I understand it is if the wind is blowing SSW , then your best bet is SW, and anywhere close as possible to land on the west side. What am I missing?

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    Have you gone out and found wind coming from the opposite direction or something?

I usually try to find protected areas from wind if it's really windy or don't go bc it can be a hassle to be out in really strong winds. Sometimes it doesnt matter bc the wind is strong enough.

Any kind of open body of water will have wind regardless of side unless you have something to block it, ie trees or buildings
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    If you are looking at a forecast and it says S-SW winds that is the direction it is coming from and it is blowing N-NE. So your calmer waters would be on Northerly side of a landmass
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,171 AG
    If the question is..." where is the wind shadow" It will be along the shoreline that the wind is forecast OUT OF...a SW wind will protect the SW ( west) shoreline of a river etc.

That said, when the wind really rips...the wind shadow will be so small as to be almost non existent...the wind will swirl and eddy like water and then you must try and use whatever high cover you can find.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain
    Swamprat wrote: »
    If you are looking at a forecast and it says S-SW winds that is the direction it is coming from and it is blowing N-NE. So your calmer waters would be on Northerly side of a landmass

But you would have no protection there, correct?

>L(protected) (unprotected)L
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    I think u got it????? Sarasota Bay for example

If there is a strong West wind, Im fishing the west side of the bay. Calmer side
    If there is a strong East wind, I am fishing the east side.....
    If its North or South.... I avoid fishing Saras Bay, Ill pick the SE shore of Palma Sola... Wind at my back, coming off land
    so forth and so on.
    This is what I mean
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    love the drawing swamp!!
    Thanks....

I think everybody is on the same page just wording it different.
    Jackson Cuda 12

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,171 AG
    love the drawing swamp!!

Yep...He should start doing portraits right away... :grin
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 725 Officer
    On the East coast the bad winds are SE, and NW. The wind blows up or down the river with no wind break, other than islands. The river or flats will be very rough. I pick my launch sites by wind direction predictions, so I have the wind at my back on the way home. The wind is almost always stronger in the afternoon than in the AM. I always go up wind in the morning, more so up wind of the afternoon prediction. At times there will be a SW, or SE wind in the AM becoming calm, then a NW wind in afternoon. On those days I will go North in the AM so wind at back on way home. Evan a bigger boat will be a rough ride in a strong NW, or SE wind. There are many places to launch in FL.