Hobie Revolution, 2014 vs 2015

OK guys, it looks like I am Mr. Question this week.

After a lot of thought, my thinking is to pull the trigger on a new Revolution.

I had the opportunity to look at a 2014 and a new 2105 Revolution side by side and of course the new seat looks terrific. Also, from what I have read, Hobie has also improved the pedal drive/ fin assembly for 2015.

In shopping online I can buy a new but leftover 2014 for less money than the 2015 but do not want to be penny wise and pound foolish by making the wrong decision, so I have some questions.

When I compared both kayaks side by side, the new seat would seem to considerably raise the center of gravity in the 2015 model. For those of you who have paddled both, do you notice the difference and how stable is this boat with the new seat?

Is the new drive system a significant improvement and is it worth paying more for a 2015 model to get the upgraded pedal system.

Lastly, I read on here often about upgrading to the turbo fins. I know nothing about them and am wondering how important that upgrade is.

Thanks so much everyone in advance. I am always glad to help folks when I can and always try to "pay it forward" but in this case, I am at your mercy.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Replies

• JoeyHotFizzleJoeyHotFizzle Posts: 225 Officer
    Bass, I have owned a Revo 11, used an outback before the vantage seat and now own a 2015 outback.

The seat is definitely a great upgrade. At the lowest setting it is on the same plane as the old seats. Hobie made the deck lower to make this happen.

Now for the drive, which I think is the best upgrade of all. It's really smooth and efficient compared to the older ones. To me it seems to pedal effortlessly compared to my old PA and Revo. 4-6 miles of peddling is a breeze.

Turbo fins, I asked LT Firedog here if it's worth investing in the turbo fins and he said it's really not that much better than the ST's so I'm not going to bother with the upgrade.

For the cost of a 14 or 15? Now that's up to you. For me it was worth paying more to get a better overall experience.

Goodluck on your decision!
  • Nick561Nick561 Posts: 339 Deckhand
    Acyak on here Austin is selling a 2015 revo. Hit him up. He could at least tell you about it
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,707 Captain
    Basstar wrote: »
    do not want to be penny wise and pound foolish by making the wrong decision, so I have some questions.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Based on the hobie website, it appears that the new Revo comes with the new upgraded turbo fins standard. I don't own a revo, but tested the 2015 at the canal next to nautical ventures...it was a good knot faster than the outback and PA. I upgraded my PA14 to the new turbos and it is only a slightly subtle difference in ease of peddling for me. I don't feel it was worth forking out the doe, but if I had the smaller fins and was upgrading to the new turbos, I would definitely recommend that. There seem to be alot of people selling their old hobies to get the 2015 version because of the new seat. If you want to stay drier and spend alot of time sitting in your kayak, you will be thankful if you buy the newer model. Think about what you said above before you make your decision, good luck.
  • r00kieAnglerr00kieAngler Posts: 258 Deckhand
    Try to demo both at your local retailer to get a hands on experience. The new seat is a nice upgrade and if you can afford the newer version then why not.
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 478 Deckhand
    It would have to be at least $500 plus less for me to consider buying the older model. The new and drive itself is that much better.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
  • WhelanWhelan Posts: 193 Deckhand
    Agree with Android - would have to be substantial less. Even then not sure I would do it. Think about how many hours you will spend sitting in a less than comfortable seat for the life of your ownership. I think any extra money spent will be forgotten sooner than the regret of not kicking in the extra for comfort.
    2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Urban Camo
    The new hulls do not come with "turbo" fins. They come with "ST" fins which uses the same mast as the standard fins. The turbo fins uses a longer mast.

I also doubt the Revo is a knot faster. I have read a side by side comparison and if I remember correctly it is around 0.5 knots on the GPS.

My reasoning is the same as Android. I ask the dealer how much for the leftover 2014's and they wanted full price. If I was able to find a 2014 for $1500 used or new it would've been a done deal. Well I'm glad I didn't because I can't explain how much easier the new drive is.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,305 Moderator
    I got to try the 2015 Revo13 and I'm buying one. The seat is remarkable and doesn't affect stability in the low position. The new drive is noticeably smoother, but comes with the mid tier St fins, not Turbo fins.

It's just going to come down to what you can afford. The 2015 is worth it to me if you are looking to buy a Hobie anyway. If you already had a 2013 or 2014, then it is only worth it if you get good money from selling your old one.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    Jcan, are you selling your Revo11 also? I wish I kept mine. That little kayak was awesome and very portable.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,305 Moderator
    Jcan, are you selling your Revo11 also? I wish I kept mine. That little kayak was awesome and very portable.
    No way man, I love that kayak! Plus I also have my Revo 11 rigged up for sailing the bay when the trout bite gets blown out.
    The Outback I did not love so much, so it went to a new owner in Orlando. The $ from that plus tax refund will fund the new Revo13.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 508 Officer
    jcanracer wrote: »
    I got to try the 2015 Revo13 and I'm buying one. The seat is remarkable and doesn't affect stability in the low position. The new drive is noticeably smoother, but comes with the mid tier St fins, not Turbo fins.

It's just going to come down to what you can afford. The 2015 is worth it to me if you are looking to buy a Hobie anyway. If you already had a 2013 or 2014, then it is only worth it if you get good money from selling your old one.

Thanks for the first hand info on the seat and stability. The money really isn't a major factor, especially considering the affordability of these kayaks in comparison to a boat, and if the 2015 upgrades are worth the extra expense, and it appears they seem to be.

I think, based on what I've read, that I am going to work towards a 2015.

I have learned so much from this entire site and appreciate everyone's help more than anyone might imagine.

THANKS!
    Haha, that's what I thought Jcan. I'm going to need to purchase one later "for the wife". Hopefully get the 2015s used when the 2016s roll out. The Outbacks hull slap is pretty annoying but I'm getting used to it and the fish doesn't really seem to care, haha.

You'll love it bass! Post it up when you get yours!
  • uno--masuno--mas Posts: 346 Officer
    i didn't read all the replies, so forgive me if i double speak. the 2015 has those ST fins, which are shaped like the Turbo fins, but shorter. they use the same mast as the Comfort fins, but have more surface area. those fins are surely more efficient than than the dismal Comfort fins. someone mentioned speed-- having had the 2014, 2015 Outbacks and the Revo, i can give you this insight. the 2014 and 2015 Outbacks are obviously the same speed with the Turbo fins (all I've ever used), and will do an easily sustainable 4.5kts, and sprint to about 6kts. the Revo is a rocketship, with a sustainable 5.5-6.0kts, and a 9kts sprint. this is all measured on GPS with different pedal'ers.
    i use Outbacks for guiding all the time with Comfort fins. it wears out a client, so they go home tired and happy.
    i personally wouldn't own either the Revo or Outback without the ST Turbo fins. its a valuable upgrade. i use the sailing rudder on these as well. always have. it does make them more nimble, but I'm not sure precisely how much.

Orchid Island Bike and Kayak in Vero Beach is closing out a bunch of 2014 models and like all of their demos and rentals. I'm not sure the inventory they have, but it'd' be worth a look.

cheers
    drew
    Cathedra Mea, Regulae Meae.