Everglades 2/2-2/4/2015

We got a few hours of fishing in Monday and got to fish all day Tuesday and Wednesday. I caught 10 Bass Monday, 21 Tuesday and another 21 Wednesday. All three days deep in the swamp. I caught five Toads but didn't have a scale with me. For reference the cork on the rod is 18" long. If you have an opinion on the weights I'd be glad to hear it. I've never been good at guessing the weights of fish or women, so I quit trying.

Tuesday 3 fish

Wednesday 2 fish

Replies

• Nice uns Rollin!
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,193 Officer
    Good catch, did you notice what the water temperature was.
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    Great catchin Great Pics any details lure, water depth, time of day, what you ate for breakfast, the color socks you wore, etc etc

Tight Wurk
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,532 Captain
    I used Zoom Toads all three days. Mostly I was walking along the bank, with the wind at my back. I would throw down the canal ahead of me and close to the bank. How far out from the bank depended on water depth, where it was deep close to the edge, I threw real close to the edge. As close as twelve inches, sometimes six. Where it was shallow I would throw out as much as five feet. Sometimes I would be standing in the water where it was real shallow.

Where there were weeds or pads I would throw at various angles to keep in the structure as much as possible. I love pads and slop and will pitch Toads right in the middle of it. Where I could, I would throw across the canal. It certain areas, I like to bounce it on the opposite bank so it just plots in the water.

I generally fished the Toads on top this trip and pretty slow. Where the wind was blowing pretty good, I fished faster to make a little more noise.

The five biggest fish all were caught in a 1/4 mile stretch of canal. It was deeper water with structure, pads, trees and some grass.

Zoom makes the Toads in a wide array of colorers. My favorites are Black,Junebug and White. I've caught fish on every color they make and on this trip I used at least eight different colors.

I was using Suffix 832 braid in 8 pound green on a Shimano Stradic 2500. The Rod was a 7' two piece Gander Mounttain Guide Series casting rod. It's been modified to be used as a spinning rod and is a very light rod. My favorite hooks are the Owner 4/0 offset, but I've been using others just to see how they do. In addition to the Owners I like the Gammies, the Bps and Cabelas house brands. You can save a lot of dough on hooks. Lately I've been using lighter hooks as I think it gives better penetration.

I generally drive and then walk,Kayak, or bike to the most remote areas I can find. I like to start early, a lot of times it's still dark. I will fish all day till I run out of light. I'm old, so sometimes I take a break in the middle. After lunch I might sack out in the truck, boat or curl up on the ground. I can and have slept in all kinds of places. It's an old mans secret weapon.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,460 Moderator
    Rollin , that's awesome ! A great way to stretch your legs AND catch fish. Straight up walking just for exercise is boring to me.

Thanks for the toad tips.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    Great report Rollin

it proves my opinion that you do not need a boat to catch huge fish

your forgot to list what you ate for breakfast an the color of your socks

Tight Wurk
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,098 Officer
    Best write up I've read in a while
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,532 Captain
    Best write up I've read in a while

Thanks Angler, the Kings English is not my strong point. I have to work pretty hard to present a coherent message.