Home Egret Boats

Gel coat repair experience

13»

Replies

• polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    anything as small and fluffy as that animal in the avatar looks is nothing more than a barking cat.

...and the need to cut access to remove some hardware is a true deficiency in my humble. I have also had water in my Racor bowl, not sure if it was the fill cap or the marina, but it has been there twice in small amounts. All issues I can deal with as every boat I have owned has had them (and more than my two Egrets thus far). My only concern is that Frank is only one man and can only do so much in an industry notorious for making small fortunes out of large ones. Yup, one day, one day too soon, all this fun is going to end. No more kooky Martin with his daily discovery of defects, no more Old Hewes to tirelessly police the Egret Cult, no more poorly structured thought (and grammar) from Tired of Klingons. Think I'm going to start watching The Real Housewives with my spouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPXVGQnJm0w
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    kerlee wrote: »
    I guess a picture is worth a thousand words. After reading these posts, having just picked up my boat a few months ago, I had to check under the rod locker lids, front compartment lids, seat compartment hatch to see the "workmanship". I never really looked when I picked up the boat as everything looked great. Here is what I found.

I did not clean up any glue, it is how it was delivered. I may get bashed for drinking the Kool-Aid.
    I can only say my experience in buying a boat from Frank was great. He was and continues to be very easy to work with regarding any issues on the boat. During the process, there were times when we would discuss a requested option as to the pro's and con's. He would give me his honest opinion on what to do and how we could accomplish the task. Heck, he is the boat builder and has built way more boats than me. It is unfortunate you have had the experience you have had.

Same experience here bud. Picked mine up 06.01.2014. I have logged almost a hundred hours on it and other than a couple of gel coat injuries by operator, have had zero issues. Frank has been first class in every aspect. I cant see me ever wanting a different brand. Call it kool aid or whatever you want but if you do, Ill be glad to save you a mug of my own special brand...spiked with a little kiss my ***!!:wink
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Well glad to hear you are very happy. I couldn't see ever buying anything but Egret after my first one. On my second Egret, I've let the factory know 4 times that I'm not happy with the gel coat repair but I have not heard anything back about a plan to fix the gel coat in 16 days.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    It's been 18 days and I still have not heard from the factory about my gel coat and motor mounting issues.

I took a picture of one of the screws that FL Frank insisted I install in the poling platform top when he helped with the hinges. I still didn't remove the rachet straps which were really holding on the top. :) The FL Frank screw is on the left and the NC screw is on the right. If anyone knows an expert in the construction field, ask that expert if they would use 1/2" #12 screws to fasten a structural load.

If any owners are passing near PSL, I whole heartedly recommend Trader Frank's Marine to help you out. He really has a shop at the house and really knows about quality boats. He'll even help out a guy like me for the price of 3 Kalik Gold:

20150212_081031-1.jpg