Home Egret Boats

For those that have been asking....FMT.... now in final production stage...

2»

Replies

• FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    Do you have a close up of the broad river entrance that you can post?
    No! Gotta buy it or run it on a negative winter low to see it... :driver:
  • OldHewes18RedOldHewes18Red Posts: 308 Deckhand
    No! Gotta buy it or run it on a negative winter low to see it... :driver:

Yup, it's crunchy out there... I always do a good job chipping something running around the choko rivers.

Last negative I fished out that way... Almost lost some ***** on a nice petrified tree.

KouhAP5.jpg
  • OldHewes18RedOldHewes18Red Posts: 308 Deckhand
    Egrets Landing, it absolutely looks like a great tool. As you mention, it should work well for experienced boaters.

What's your final price point for the full package?
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,919 Captain
    Spook wrote: »
    I wonder if he still has suckers taking him fishing under the guise of him showing them spots.

Does the MHP Forum still exist?
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    I forget a lot of things as I get older. It's interesting how I can recall every little submerged bar, etc...
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,919 Captain
    I forget a lot of things as I get older. It's interesting how I can recall every little submerged bar, etc...

Every mudflat, every manatee. . .
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer

I was going to comment but I forgot what I was gonna say!:cool:
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 553 Officer
    I'm new to this thread, is this chip for a certain brand of electronics? My boat will have a Garmin GPSMAP 840xs or 1040xs. Is this something I can or should use with that system? I know Garmin doesn't always play well others when it comes to mapping.

Ok, nevermind. I just saw the earlier thread on this that tells me Garmin doesn't get to play.
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    I'm not really positive how tis works - but if I get a new Lowrance unit, is all I need the FMT chip - or do I need another chip as well? Does it have all the depths on the chip?
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    It has all the depths in Feet that NOAA provides on their maps along with the basic Contours. About 40,000 sounding records and they are working fine now. The last release had a depth bug and some were not showing.
    If you want recent hi res color imagery for FL with no holes and you want to know how to get from point A to point B in the shallows there is no other product that offers that. The alternatives have crappy imagery that is practically useless in many critical areas (and old too) and there are no tracks other than major routes and channels on their maps. Plus the markers on their maps are direct Noaa downloads and for most records are not accurate and don't include the park service markers. I moved the markers on my map to their exact location and I include all those park markers and lots of PVC stakes as well. I am sure I missed a few day markers since there are thousands but most should be spot on including the Buoys and Signs. Mapping edits are still in progress but it's complete up to approximately Tampa and Stuart now and the rest of the State should be done next Summer along with the rest of the imagery. I am updating chips for free until the rest of the State is complete for anyone who wants the S. FL edition. There is a third version of S.FL that is going to press next weekend that will update a few things for the GPS and provide enhanced coverage of Biscayne Bay.

If you have not purchased a new GPS yet, remember that if you get a Garmin, you will have zero alternative mapping options and be stuck with their maps. They provide no option to tap any other mapping products that work in most other mfg. units. The last I saw their imagery was about as poor as the Navionics. It seems I run in to one or two people per week now that wish they had purchased something other than a Garmin for a variety of reasons including the lack of mapping options or shallow water sounder issues. I know of no clear and obvious advantage in any area that Garmin has in the marine units today when compared to most alternatives so I would not recommend Garmin for the boat.
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    Ok - Thank you, Glenn. My sled is up for sale and I plan on getting a new ride, so I need to look into and decide on the gps. It appears to me the Lowrance HDSGen 2 touch is about the best value going and will work with your chip, correct? Also, I fish in the Boca Grande area once a year - does you chip operate there, specifically in the Bull Bay area?
    It has all the depths in Feet that NOAA provides on their maps along with the basic Contours. About 40,000 sounding records and they are working fine now. The last release had a depth bug and some were not showing.
    If you want recent hi res color imagery for FL with no holes and you want to know how to get from point A to point B in the shallows there is no other product that offers that. The alternatives have crappy imagery that is practically useless in many critical areas (and old too) and there are no tracks other than major routes and channels on their maps. Plus the markers on their maps are direct Noaa downloads and for most records are not accurate and don't include the park service markers. I moved the markers on my map to their exact location and I include all those park markers and lots of PVC stakes as well. I am sure I missed a few day markers since there are thousands but most should be spot on including the Buoys and Signs. Mapping edits are still in progress but it's complete up to approximately Tampa and Stuart now and the rest of the State should be done next Summer along with the rest of the imagery. I am updating chips for free until the rest of the State is complete for anyone who wants the S. FL edition. There is a third version of S.FL that is going to press next weekend that will update a few things for the GPS and provide enhanced coverage of Biscayne Bay.

If you have not purchased a new GPS yet, remember that if you get a Garmin, you will have zero alternative mapping options and be stuck with their maps. They provide no option to tap any other mapping products that work in most other mfg. units. The last I saw their imagery was about as poor as the Navionics. It seems I run in to one or two people per week now that wish they had purchased something other than a Garmin for a variety of reasons including the lack of mapping options or shallow water sounder issues. I know of know clear and obvious advantage in any area that Garmin has in the marine units today when compared to most alternatives so I would not recommend Garmin for the boat.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
    FMT is a great product and their customer service is exceptional.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    I will be putting mine to the test this weekend!
    I will follow up with a report comparing the stock maps in my Lowrance and my Navionics Platinum Plus chip.
    Having compared it with Plat+ I see no need to use PP at all.
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    I will be putting mine to the test this weekend!
    I will follow up with a report comparing the stock maps in my Lowrance and my Navionics Platinum Plus chip.

Take note of the accuracy of the location of the Navigational Markers. We have endeavored to make them all precise so they are within a very tight tolerance of the actual location. In my experience with other maps, weather they be Navionics, Garmin or Stock Navico maps, the navigational aides (although the icons may appear different) are all direct NOAA downloads just as are the depth soundings, and basic depth contours. The NOAA locations for a large percentage of the day markers and other aides are not accurate. Most just accept that as the way things are but I have tried to correct that. I am sure I missed a few but most all of them should be spot on. Some of the NOAA markers are 20' feet off and some are hundreds of feet off and some are missing all together or show markers where none exist. It's nice when running around, particularly at night when its black to be able to see where the marker is actually located so you can find it with your light and not be paranoid you are going to run into it. As the Tracks move up the coasts, the markers are being moved from the NOAA locations to their exact location if they are wrong. You will also find PVC markers on my map as well as the Park Service Markers which is unique and quite helpful for many areas.
    I have had the chance to use the FL Tracks over the holiday season in 10K.
    What a game changer this is for mapping. The maps are night and day better than my Navionics Platinum which was the most current updated stuff available. It also blows away any Garmin blue chart g2 or Lowrance base map for sure. The routes that are given are great for areas of uncertainty to navigate thru. Seeing bars and how points of islands stick out which are non existent on other mapping chips is where the FL Tracks really shines. Being able to see I can really go thru there was impressive and never ran out of water or bumped bottom!

If you own a Lowrance or Simrad chat plotter you need to get this chip. Money well spent for sure!
    :thumbsup
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    I should have listened to FlatsBoy. Garmin sucks. Maps load slow and no FL Tracks for me. Yes, Phil, you told me so. I'll be going a different route next time.

Congrats on a great product in the Fl Tracks chip, Egrets Landing.
  • FreshFresh Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Egret Landing - Do you plan on making available east and west central FL aerial map images anytime soon? Understand lowrance insight product will be available soon but interested in your chip as I fish glades as well.
    I should have listened to FlatsBoy. Garmin sucks. Maps load slow and no FL Tracks for me. Yes, Phil, you told me so. I'll be going a different route next time.

Congrats on a great product in the Fl Tracks chip, Egrets Landing.

pc_zps5ab50e1d.jpg
    Two PCs each with 32 GB of RAM + four ext. Hard Drives now working to process the rest of the imagery for FL.

Sell your Garmin. There is not a single advantage to a Garmin for a boat today compared to the alternatives. And it looks like they are doubling down on their zero mapping options policy too. Even still my neighbor can't wait to get his new one even though he hates his current one with maps that show him on land when hes in the water and a radar that never seems to operate properly and no one can figure out why. Go figure.

I'll be selling my near new HDS 12 gen 2 touch soon to get the Gen 3 that just came out or the new Simrad. I'll make you a good deal (chip included) if you want.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    I just upgraded to the Lowrance HDS 12 touch on my bird. Lowrance has finally got it right. So much easier to navigate all the options, you don't need the seperate black box (which was problematic) for the structure scan any more. The structure scan is actually very useful now (not for the flats). The unit works great with Glen's chip. And I feel no need for a windshield even fishing the NC winters...it's big but man it's nice.

Glen what are the advancements in the Gen 3 Lowrance HDS? (Please don't tell me something I can't live without)
    91tiger wrote: »
    I just upgraded to the Lowrance HDS 12 touch on my bird. Lowrance has finally got it right. So much easier to navigate all the options, you don't need the seperate black box (which was problematic) for the structure scan any more. The structure scan is actually very useful now (not for the flats). The unit works great with Glen's chip. And I feel no need for a windshield even fishing the NC winters...it's big but man it's nice.

Glen what are the advancements in the Gen 3 Lowrance HDS? (Please don't tell me something I can't live without)

Well it has some improvements. They are like Iphones.. Always adding some extra stuff to get better. Probably be a Gen 4 next year.
    Screen now can go even brighter with LED backlighting.
    Now has built in Chirp Sounder. They came out with the Chirp ability first on the Elite Units. Now on the HDS.
    Also allows for dual functions with some extra buttons or the touch screens which helps in rougher conditions or when your hands are dirty. Faster 10hz refesh rate on the internal antennae. I had no issues though with the other one. I think that faster refresh is not a big deal in practical application -- just keeping up with some of the others that offer that. However, the internal processor is supposed to be faster and so it should get around through the menus even faster than the GEN2 and when zooming around the maps. I will probably have it up and running at the marquesas trip next summer if you want to compare. Maybe frank will finally catch a permit. I got one for Bryan last year (+ a turtle).

BTW. on your GEN 2 units, upgrade your Software for the unit to the 3.5v. Go to the lowrance website and download the file and put it on your chip and get it loaded into the units. They came out with an update in December. Its a good update.
    The only two upgrades that are worth it. The brighter screens and the processor maybe.Some of the menu software is cooler. I'll wait on Glens report for that.

Speaking of the Marquesa trip! Let's get the plan together early this year and set the dates!
    I have some redemption to do out there on Tarpon and those Permit which keep avoiding my hook!:fishing
    BTW. on your GEN 2 units, upgrade your Software for the unit to the 3.5v. Go to the lowrance website and download the file and put it on your chip and get it loaded into the units. They came out with an update in December. Its a good update.

Glen did you notice any changes other than the added software for the Motor Guide in the 3.5 update?
  • lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    I sent you an email and PM.
    The 3.5 update works fine and also added the Motor Guide Gateway to link my Lowrance to the XI5 trolling motor and all works seamless!
  • gal218gal218 Posts: 105 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    The 3.5 update works fine and also added the Motor Guide Gateway to link my Lowrance to the XI5 trolling motor and all works seamless!

Great to hear...am about to order the HDS 12 Gen3, Xi5 + Gateway for my new 189...and of course will order the FMT chip.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    God **** I hate my Garmin!
    Gen 2's should be on the move as soon as the gen 3's are out. I'd look for substantial markdowns on the Gen 2. Personally I do not need to replace my unit every time a new one comes out. i'm very happy with the Gen 2 and Glenn's chip