Home General Fishing

Slot limits and "breeder" fish.

Wade BWade B Posts: 259 Deckhand
I find it interesting that they use a "total length" minimum down there for slot fish. Up here we usually have a "protected slot" where the breeder fish are protected. For example a walleye on many lakes must be put back immediately if it 16"-20" with only one fish over 26" per license. Your entire bag limit could consist of 14" walleye.

So can I assume that a breeder snapper or grouper is under the "total length" slot or are these slots put together just to help grow the average size?

I keep hearing how hardcore the slot police are down there on restricting limits.

Replies

• spydermonkeyspydermonkey Posts: 765 Officer
    They breed when they get over the limit. The slot for grouper and such is to make sure they got a shot. And some inshore species like snook have a lower and upper limit so that the large breeders are totally protected. You need to hurry up and get down here so you can experience all this for yourself. lol. I haven't been checked by fwc recently but most limits are in place for a reason. You Don't wanna be that **** who just keeps whatever he catches no matter what size.
    "Insert intelligent sounding quote here"
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,978 Captain
    Go to myfwc.com... You'll find an explanation of how they're set up as well as who to contact if you want their purpose explained. As you've guessed they're designed for more than one reason -both to ensure the max spawning in each species by protecting the "breeders" as well as ensuring a sizable number of trophy fish.

Compared to how things were managed in the "bad old days" the way the biologists design catch rates for each species these days are head and shoulders better than the way it used to be. I worked on my first charter boat as a mate in 1973 (my first tackle shop a year before that), held a hook and line commercial ticket in the mid eighties, then finally got my captain's license in 1996 -been a full time guide ever since. Can't say enough good things about the FWC today. I still have disagreements with them from time to time but overall we're lucky to have the regs we have today on the state side of things. Like many, I do have serious disagreements with the federal side of things as they push sector separation and other measures to the detriment of recreational angling... but that's another matter entirely.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Wade BWade B Posts: 259 Deckhand
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    Go to myfwc.com... You'll find an explanation of how they're set up as well as who to contact if you want their purpose explained. As you've guessed they're designed for more than one reason -both to ensure the max spawning in each species by protecting the "breeders" as well as ensuring a sizable number of trophy fish.

Compared to how things were managed in the "bad old days" the way the biologists design catch rates for each species these days are head and shoulders better than the way it used to be. I worked on my first charter boat as a mate in 1973 (my first tackle shop a year before that), held a hook and line commercial ticket in the mid eighties, then finally got my captain's license in 1996 -been a full time guide ever since. Can't say enough good things about the FWC today. I still have disagreements with them from time to time but overall we're lucky to have the regs we have today on the state side of things. Like many, I do have serious disagreements with the federal side of things as they push sector separation and other measures to the detriment of recreational angling... but that's another matter entirely.

Interesting. I feel the same way about our MN Department of Natural Resources. Sure there are a lot of restrictions and "slot limits" that drive the "old boys" nuts. But I would argue fishing is better than it's ever been here (both trophy and eater).
  • MateauMateau Posts: 267 Deckhand
    Whether i agree with limits or not, i am not an expert and believe they are there for a reason. I just go by the rules and i have no problems. Im also a stickler for having a license and doing what im supposed to be doing. I see and hear of lots of guys and gals out there doing whatever they want whenever they want. It bothers me because i sent the money and am playing by the rules, and they are, as far as im concerned, **** the waters. Not that i am overly concerned with future generations and all, but if they are out there catching and keeping all the oversized or undersized fish, what does that leave for me and my kid? Im not always fishing for giant fish because those 8-12 inch trout are a blast to catch on light tackle sometimes.... Thats my rant. Play by the rules and have some respect for other people.
    Mateau wrote: »
    Whether i agree with limits or not, i am not an expert and believe they are there for a reason. I just go by the rules and i have no problems. Im also a stickler for having a license and doing what im supposed to be doing. I see and hear of lots of guys and gals out there doing whatever they want whenever they want. It bothers me because i sent the money and am playing by the rules, and they are, as far as im concerned, **** the waters. Not that i am overly concerned with future generations and all, but if they are out there catching and keeping all the oversized or undersized fish, what does that leave for me and my kid? Im not always fishing for giant fish because those 8-12 inch trout are a blast to catch on light tackle sometimes.... Thats my rant. Play by the rules and have some respect for other people.

Keep the local conservation officer's cell numbers in your cell phone. When you see that stuff going on call them and give them as much data as you can. Boat lic number. Truck lic number. Description of guys. Etc, etc, etc. A poacher is stealing, plain and simple.
  • Jetex2801Jetex2801 Posts: 540 Officer
    I'm all for following regs but it truly bothers me when they fail to respond. Long story short multiple calls made, 6 hours later, no one ever shows and a poacher gets away with 2 5gallon buckets of undersized sheepshead and he had the audacity to complain about not being able to catch a big-un

If it was a remote location, I could maybe understand but this happened at a small county/city park.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Genetic diversity is also important. If you fish out the entire school of 12 inch trout but leave a few big breeders, you've narrowed down the genes to that of those few big breeder fish which are already putting out more eggs than several of the little ones combined.
    Jetex2801 wrote: »
    I'm all for following regs but it truly bothers me when they fail to respond. Long story short multiple calls made, 6 hours later, no one ever shows and a poacher gets away with 2 5gallon buckets of undersized sheepshead and he had the audacity to complain about not being able to catch a big-un

If it was a remote location, I could maybe understand but this happened at a small county/city park.

Did you have their direct cell number or just the general 911/TIP LINE number? Up here we've found TIP doesn't really work unless you can give them exact info like boat registration numbers and license plate numbers. So they can follow up at the person's home. A direct call to their cell may yield more immediate results. At least up here it does.
  • Jetex2801Jetex2801 Posts: 540 Officer
    I made two direct calls to local officers, one call to the local office and follow up calls a few hours before I left to check on their progress. I hope it was just a bad day.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    An officer has a large area to patrol. They can't be everywhere
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    There is no slot for grouper and snapper, just minimum lengths.