Skip to main content
Home Conservation Front

Who does the Gulf Council members represent?

124»

Replies

• BubbaIIBubbaII Posts: 328 Deckhand
    Typiclese wrote: »
    Bob,
    If you want to know how much they are paid, file a FOIA request. Unless they work for DoD, CIA, FBI or in the White House, this information should be available from a FOIA.

Try this website, it might work. If not, go the FOIA route.
    http://www.wusa9.com/story/local/2012/05/14/3947123/
    If that thread eventually gets around to actually demonstrating with some proof or links someone can go off and research on their own,

That link won't get you want you want. Council members are not federal employees. Like I said, Council budgets are on their FTP site. Because no one seems to want to go there, and just wants to gripe, here are the 2013 and 2014 budget report numbers:

In the Dec. 2014 statement, it says Council members (the 11 appointed members) got paid $172,654. In 2013, they got paid $184,195. This is for all participation (Council meetings, public hearings, SSC and AP meetings, ICCAT, etc). Evenly divided by the 11 members, that comes to about $15,700 in 2014, and $16,500 in 2013. So, each one makes roughly $16,000 a year for all their effort. Not exactly a fat-cat living considering the time involved.
  • BubbaII wrote: »
    That link won't get you want you want. Council members are not federal employees. Like I said, Council budgets are on their FTP site. Because no one seems to want to go there, and just wants to gripe, here are the 2013 and 2014 budget report numbers:

In the Dec. 2014 statement, it says Council members (the 11 appointed members) got paid $172,654. In 2013, they got paid $184,195. This is for all participation (Council meetings, public hearings, SSC and AP meetings, ICCAT, etc). Evenly divided by the 11 members, that comes to about $15,700 in 2014, and $16,500 in 2013. So, each one makes roughly $16,000 a year for all their effort. Not exactly a fat-cat living considering the time involved.

Does that include all their reimbursables? That can be pretty extensive. How many days that that actually represent? This thread is more about "Who" the GC really represents, which has become more apparent
    in recent days. What do you think about 3 GC members being on the BOD of a Commercial Seafood
    Industry lobby actively engaged in lobbying Congress AND failing to disclose in a timely manner FIS
    forms? What do you think about their obvious Conflict of Interest?
    Council members are not federal employees.

:grin Of course they are.

They are not elected officials,but are contract employees. That contract defines their obligations and compensation. If there was no contract, they would not be responsible for their responsibilities activities or paycheck.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,595 Captain
    BubbaII wrote: »

Not federal employees? Wrong again Bubba.

For some on the Council, their wages will be a pittance compared to the golden parachute awaiting them when they retire from pushing certain enviro.orgs' agendas - plenty of money to go around.

Of course, they will be paid as "consultants" similar to how the top NOAA LEO "retired" a few years back after pushing catch shares - he is now a "consultant" for EDF.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,735 AG
    drgibby wrote: »
    Very well said. Too bad there was not a Forum run by those that exploit our salty resources for personal financial gain. It would be fun to play antagonist on such a site!
    I exploited 4000 lbs of claws last week from the salt. Fat and happy now as are my crew, the fish house, truck drivers, bait and fuel suppliers, restaurants, consumers, and the IRS.

Will repeat this coming week and do my part to be a productive citizen.

There is a few facebook sites... FFF is a good one
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Well played Art.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    :grin Of course they are.

They are not elected officials,but are contract employees. That contract defines their obligations and compensation. If there was no contract, they would not be responsible for their responsibilities activities or paycheck.

my point was that they won't show up in the database that was linked in the previous post.

ACME, that number was compensation. reimbursables, like travel, are at cost.
  • TypicleseTypiclese Posts: 393 Deckhand
    my point was that they won't show up in the database that was linked in the previous post.

No they probably won't, but it is worth a look. If you get a paycheck from the US GOV you more than likely will be in the database save for the organizations I listed.

IF NOT, then you can file a FOIA. Again (for the slow thinking amongst us) if you are not working for the organizations I listed, ANY pay you receive from the US GOV will be available.
    somewhere, way back on page 1 or 2, I noted that Council budget is available on their web site. No need to FOIA. Ever since then, this thread had degenerated into a "he said" "she said" debacle.

I noted a long time ago, that as a moderator on a board on the other side of the internet, any thread that gets this long, has lost its purpose, and is dead. This thread has had grammar arguments, the classic Gary "who are you?" repetition, etc. Any function to this thread died after about page 3. I'm surprised that our new moderator doesn't realize this.

Yes most of us know about it. However, if you know anything of federal budgets, they don't spell out where money goes, for example, you won't find:

"Line item 102345: $35.00 for Bubba II"

You will only find the allocated funds for a given line item in the budget docs. They only drill down to say a broad level say "Contractor compensatory obligations". In some orgs like the GMFMC, you might see a number, like "2" under say travel, but you won't know what "2" they are referring to.

Nowhere, I repeat nowhere, will any budget doc specify individuals by name (personnel rotate in and out). A FOIA is the only way to get that information.

Here's the CY 2009 - 2013 allocations for the GMFMC Operating budget (from their site).
    http://www.gulfcouncil.org/Beta/GMFMCWeb/downloads/BB%202009-08/E%20-%203%202010-2014%20Multi-Year%20Budget.pdf

Thanks again for your BS inputs.
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    I exploited 4000 lbs of claws last week from the salt. Fat and happy now as are my crew, the fish house, truck drivers, bait and fuel suppliers, restaurants, consumers, and the IRS.

Will repeat this coming week and do my part to be a productive citizen.

There is a few facebook sites... FFF is a good one

Since we are boasting...

Over last 3 weeks, despite the wind, spent over 2 grand on fuel, about $350 on bait, bought some new tackle from a local shop (about $1050 worth), had friends in from out of town, they stayed in local hotels and ate at local restaurants. Not to mention my exorbitant federal tax bill I pay every year, where a percentage of that goes to unelected thugs who are trying to take my resource from me.

Now, I am but one man. How many rec anglers are out there?

Oh yeah, thanks for the claws.
    Typiclese wrote: »
    Yes most of us know about it. However, if you know anything of federal budgets, they don't spell out where money goes, for example, you won't find:

"Line item 102345: $35.00 for Bubba II"

You will only find the allocated funds for a given line item in the budget docs. They only drill down to say a broad level say "Contractor compensatory obligations". In some orgs like the GMFMC, you might see a number, like "2" under say travel, but you won't know what "2" they are referring to.

Nowhere, I repeat nowhere, will any budget doc specify individuals by name (personnel rotate in and out). A FOIA is the only way to get that information.

Here's the CY 2009 - 2013 allocations for the GMFMC Operating budget (from their site).
    http://www.gulfcouncil.org/Beta/GMFMCWeb/downloads/BB%202009-08/E%20-%203%202010-2014%20Multi-Year%20Budget.pdf

Thanks again for your BS inputs.

If you bothered to go find a budget proposal, why didn't you open the expenditure files I used to get the numbers I posted on what was actually spent (down to the dollar)? The Dec. 13 and Dec. 14 budget reports? I tried to figure out how to provide you a direct link from the ftp site, but can't get something that makes sense. Here is an image from a print screen.

And no, this doesn't tell you individual payments, but my original post only summarized it as an average of $16,000 per appointed council member.

Actually, when you have all your expenses paid as "reimbursables" your pay is effectively much
    greater than someone having to pay their own way. How many days did you say they actually
    "Worked" a year? What would that equate to if they worked a full year of typical work weeks?