Home General Fishing

Fishing around the Cape Coral area.

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice for fishing around Cape Coral for the beginning of February. Last time I went out was early January. I found some smaller sea trout and smaller snapper around pine island sound. Any advice on where to go or what to use for presentation for bigger fish or other species Also interested in trying to start fishing in the gulf. Don't really know what to expect ,any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch

Minnesotaboy95

Replies

• gunnelsjgunnelsj Posts: 46 Deckhand
    Hey Minnesota,

I am heading down to cape coral for my first time this march. I don't have any information for you, but I am interested in whatever news you get as well!!! I'm hoping to target reds and snook, but not sure what to expect.
  • TarpoonTarpoon Posts: 61 Deckhand
    My best advice is hire a local guide. Its money well spent as you will learn where the fish are, what techniques are working etc...... Wind, tide, water temp and water clarity will dictate where the fish are in February and what you should do. Its a complicated process, a lot different than walleye fishing. Just because you find fish on one area one day doesnt mean they will be there the next or at a different tide etc.... There are gps numbers for the artficial reefs in the gulf all over the internet. Good luck and really look into the guide, youll learn a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,121 AG
    February is a windy cold month....

Rent a kayak for the week and fish the canals of the cape....pay attention to canal intersections...fish slow and deep with artificials like a DOA CAL tail on a jig head with a light leader.....

Fish will seek thermal refuges (deep water) this time of year...plus it is almost always fishable in the canals...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • DockmasterDockmaster Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Your best bet is to bounce jigs on the bottom of the North Spreader Canal. The one that runs from Matlacha North Parallel to Old Burnt Store Rd. Feb. can be a difficult month. I can recommend a few local guides, depending on what you are looking to target. I personally fish the canals, and do well. Hope this helps
  • gunnelsjgunnelsj Posts: 46 Deckhand
    Dockmaster wrote: »
    Your best bet is to bounce jigs on the bottom of the North Spreader Canal. The one that runs from Matlacha North Parallel to Old Burnt Store Rd. Feb. can be a difficult month. I can recommend a few local guides, depending on what you are looking to target. I personally fish the canals, and do well. Hope this helps

Dockmaster,

I will be staying there this march but the canal I am on is at the far southeastern tip of cape coral. Near the Yacht Club Community Park. I've never been to cape coral before but didn't have many options on where to stay as late as we tried to find a house. I'm assuming the waters in the canals where I am at are freshwater? Is that the type of fishing you do in the northern canal that you spoke of as well? I would like to do some saltwater fishing while there but it looks like its a bit of a hike by boat to get out to the sound and some of the keys...Any advice?
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,114 Admiral
    Lot's of Salt Water fish will move into the Canals.
    It's only Real Fresh way inland. Snook and Tarpon can survive good in either. I have Snook in my Farm Pond 10 miles from the Coast.
    Been there for years. Had a Tarpon but he died bout 5 years ago.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    They rent skiffs on pine island.i used to hit the eastern sandbar north of bokellia I think thats how its spelled.google earth the spot theres reds trout flounder and pomps .the sw corner has good grass and toones of trout.get a good chart if u rent a skiff the channel markers are like a snake
  • minnesotaboy95minnesotaboy95 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    I have a boat down there and will be checking the areas out that everyone suggested. How about a bait choice? shrimp, artificial bait, plugs? any thoughts on that?
  • BAgnewBAgnew Posts: 105 Officer
    It's hard to beat shrimp everything eats them