Where's the bait??

Can we make this sticky so we can keep track the bait in our area?

Replies

• Lu 1967Lu 1967 Posts: 285 Deckhand
    Should be interesting to see what the mods say on this one.The guys that
    put in the hard work to find bait, normally don,t share that info.
  • spydermonkeyspydermonkey Posts: 765 Officer
    I'm all for sharing info but if you post a bait spot on here there will be at least half a dozen people there next weekend.
    "Insert intelligent sounding quote here"
  • snookwhisperersnookwhisperer Posts: 222 Deckhand
    The Skyway, now the secret's out! lol
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    Now you've gone and done it, why don't you just post the coordinates for the skyway as well. Geesh lol
    The Skyway, now the secret's out! lol
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • capt.natecapt.nate Posts: 2,359 Officer
    http://www.captain-nate.com/
    "If I had my life to live over again, there are some things I’d do differently, but, oh yeah, I’d still be a fisherman. No doubt about that."
    Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
    sig%20pic%20yamaha_zps9bj5fb89.png
  • jimmy77jimmy77 Posts: 1,690 Captain
    Saw plenty in Clearwater pass and just off the beach. If you want to pick greenies out of your net for an hour.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 966 Officer
    It's all pretty small right now. Chum up the flats or make a run to the Skyway if you want some size.
  • Animal1Animal1 Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    Was heading over this coming weekend to go offshore. Are the pinfish and grunts still on the flats or have they moved because of the cold weather. If so where should we look for them. Were staying on anna marie island. Thanks for the help.
  • Sparty52Sparty52 Posts: 48 Deckhand
    Done great at Philippe Park for mudminnow and some white bait. The causeway to honeymoon island always produces nice size pinfish. I learned this from trial and error. There are plenty of spots to get bait, just get out and hunt them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tight Lines and Happy Fishing!
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    Look for deeper (warmer) water near flats edges and give yourself 10-15 minutes to chum them up before throwing the net.

Birds are also a good sign...
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • DelboyDelboy Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    Has anyone got a good chum recipe?
    Delboy wrote: »
    Has anyone got a good chum recipe?

I use the powdered stuff you can get from a feed store.

Just mix in a small bucket with salt water until its about like oatmeal, maybe a little drier.

Stake out or anchor up current from where you think the bait is staged and start tossing out little balls of the wet chum.

Sit down...have a drink, eat a sandwich, relax for 10-15 minutes while you chum.

If you get a little slick going, you'll see the bait move in closer to the boat.

Toss a couple of large balls of the chum in the area where you want to throw the net.

Wait until they are schooled up...throw the net on them....rinse...repeat...
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    Purina Tropical Fish Food at the feed store like flatsfrenzy said.
    if your doing a lot of fishing get the 50lb bag and fill freezer bags half full.
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • spydermonkeyspydermonkey Posts: 765 Officer
    Don't over feed them though. They won't come close to the boat if you do that.
    "Insert intelligent sounding quote here"
    Excellent point. I try to keep the chum "balls" small...about the size of a grape...until I am ready to load the net and throw it.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,374 AG
    FLatwolf wrote: »
    Where's the bait??

Here:

81990141.Qidc6UIF.tampabayhighlighted.jpg

Seriously, there's always bait at the bridges -- Skyway, Gandy, HF, CCC. Sometimes it's large, sometimes it's small -- but it is virtually always at the bridges.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,981 Moderator
    Tarponator wrote: »
    Here:

81990141.Qidc6UIF.tampabayhighlighted.jpg

Seriously, there's always bait at the bridges -- Skyway, Gandy, HF, CCC. Sometimes it's large, sometimes it's small -- but it is virtually always at the bridges.
    Precisely why this thread is not a sticky.
  • Animal1Animal1 Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the replies. Will put my traps by bridge's. And chum for the cast net. thanks again
  • GatorRugbyGatorRugby Posts: 77 Deckhand
    Darcy wrote: »
    Purina Tropical Fish Food at the feed store like flatsfrenzy said.
    if your doing a lot of fishing get the 50lb bag and fill freezer bags half full.
    I use the powdered stuff you can get from a feed store.

Just mix in a small bucket with salt water until its about like oatmeal, maybe a little drier.

Stake out or anchor up current from where you think the bait is staged and start tossing out little balls of the wet chum.

Sit down...have a drink, eat a sandwich, relax for 10-15 minutes while you chum.

If you get a little slick going, you'll see the bait move in closer to the boat.

Toss a couple of large balls of the chum in the area where you want to throw the net.

Wait until they are schooled up...throw the net on them....rinse...repeat...

Do you guys know of any feed stores in the Tampa area that carry that type of fish food? I have had a hard time finding that stuff.
  • grey_beardgrey_beard Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    I picked up a 50lb bag at Shell's feed on Nebraska Ave
  • jimmy77jimmy77 Posts: 1,690 Captain
    Largo Feed & Pet Supply. They have 10 lb bags or larger.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GatorRugbyGatorRugby Posts: 77 Deckhand
    Thanks a lot!
  • RoyalflushRoyalflush Posts: 535 Officer
    Endless greenbacks hugging the bayside pier at desoto yesterday
  • HoosierHoosier Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    Bought a 10 lb bag yesterday at largo feed and pet supply. Cost was $12.95 FYI