Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Forecast for this weekend??

Anyone looking to get out this weekend? Im watching the forecast for saturday, friday looks better but not everyone in the crew can go sadly. Hopefully we can get out and catch some fish

Replies

• jimmy06jimmy06 Posts: 1,241 Officer
    I would wait on a little better conditions Jason. being that it's yall's first time out. or try to buddy boat out with someone.
  • ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    Yeah not sure what kind of boat you have, but if I see 2-3 inside and 4-6 outside and steady N winds I aint going in any size boat. No doubt Fridays the better day but notice its building in the afternoon so keep an eye on that and see how that may change over the next 24 hours. I agree if its your first gig I would just wait for a more stable, extended window. Unless you had plans to make the 30 mile haul to 100'+ I don't think you'll be missing much anyway.
  • fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,117 Captain
    Hmm what conditions are doable or good? Ive been watching windfinder and noaa and i know its not great but i guess ill just have to keep watching it, i definitely dont want to go out in rough conditions. Also what wind directions are good and how many mph or knots is too much?
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,326 Officer
    2-3 with a longish period is doable comfortably in my boat, 3-4-5 and I'm probably staying in, especially on a building forecast

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://northeastfloridabaitcoop.com/

2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• bro schrobro schro Posts: 773 Officer
    1to 2 is good 2 to 3 is doable in a twenty ft boat as long as they are spread out.do not like the west wind or any wind over 10 ! Just my opinion.the west wind can fool you be careful! and if you are not comfortable don't Go.
  • GaffitGaffit Posts: 580 Officer
    hossmoss wrote: »
    2-3 with a longish period is doable comfortably in my boat, 3-4-5 and I'm probably staying in, especially on a building forecast

Is this for your 31, 27, or your 17ft boat lol. Talk about a sweet quiver of boats...

I'd 100% stay inshore this weekend. I haven't seen a doable window for this weekend all week. Experience and a few days of turning around at the inlet will build your knowledge to know what wind direction, weather condition, and time of year is doable.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,536 Admiral
    Look for a forecast that has light and variable winds....west or S west in the morning shifting to S.E. in the afternoon....that is typical summertime pattern...which means flat seas in the first half of the day, with a SE seabreeze in the afternoon following you home. That is ideal.

This time of year fronts roll in on average every 4 days or so....usually pushed by NW winds followed up by N then NE winds...None of those are to be trusted !!....especially in a smaller craft.

Light East winds followed by SE winds will bring cleaner water in...and usually bring good fishing conditions.

I personally do not like winds from the due South...for one they are hotter...and two it seems like it mucks up the water along the beach for some reason...especially if you have a north to south current....and it too usually blows a little harder and makes the ocean sloppy.

For close in and beach fishing, SW and West wind directions are good to go on....But like was said earlier...look for what it is going to turn into...if it's supposed to blow up later in the day, that means conditions are only going to deteriorate as the day goes on, and you don't want to be caught between land and a fast approaching weather system from the west or North West....which is where most of our weather comes from.

Another thing to consider is the wave period...which is the time in seconds from one wave to the next....for instance even two feet at two seconds can be choppy.....whereas 2 to 3 feet at 8 or 10 seconds will be just a gentle roll.

3 to 4 feet at 5 seconds will knock your teeth out.....

Lot's of variables.

One last sure hit thing to look for...If you show up at the ramp...and no one else is there....you might wanna go back to bed !! :grin

Have fun !!
    Well taking all advice ill keep checking the weather up untill friday night and see what it looks like since its always changing maybe ill get lucky and itll clear up soon
  • ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    I know you're itching to go. When I used to go out in Jan-Feb for seabass (before they changed the limit to 5) I would go out around 15-20 miles. I would look for this: "Forecast out 20 miles = 2 feet or less. Forecast out 60 miles 2-3" and I would make sure that was the AM and PM forecast so I knew it wasn't building . That's about as ideal as it gets. If it's 2' or less, there ain't gonna be any wind, swell direction or period to be concerned, which is my style.

Once you are in a 2-3' forecast it can be OK, but then gotta start watching the winds and swell period to hedge your bets. A "close period" swell is anywhere from 2-7 seconds or so. The seconds sort of indicate how far apart each wave peak is. 3' at 3 seconds is going to look like a tooth cracking washing machine. 3' at 12 seconds, with light winds is going to just about look flat, with the occasional soft roller coming though every so often. Those close period swells are wind generated, so almost always accompanied by stiff winds and it just chops it all to hell.

I know you're itching to go. Look for those rare wintertime 2 solid day windows of 2' or less between fronts.
    Was going to go out this morning but called it off last night because noaa was reporting crappy waves. My buddy goes to the beach around 10 this morning and says its flat. Bring on summer weather..... And the weather man sucks as usual
  • slickster57slickster57 Posts: 142 Officer
    wind....looks like same for next also....:(
  • slylunaslyluna Posts: 99 Deckhand
    What source do you guys use to know the wave and periods for offshore?