Home Politics

The value of a higher education.

2»

Replies

  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    cpr wrote: »
    In every job I have worked people with the higher education and credentials within the field get paid more. Even a simple lifeguard makes less than a lifeguard with a WSI (water safety instructor) card.

    I said within the field. Nurses with a 2 year degree make more then social workers or lab techs with 4 year degrees.

    Aka - rent seeking.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    greggl wrote: »
    No. it's an opportunity to mix up institutional thought with radical, outside solutions.

    Schools attempt to teach the 'now' rather than the 'next'.

    do disclose you are not an alumni ? expect to be "in" the club for free

    just pure laziness on your part not to get a degree ....... you have no excuse
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    greggl wrote: »

    Schools attempt to teach the 'now' rather than the 'next'.

    And you base your "theory" on what, exactly?
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Finfinder wrote: »
    do disclose you are not an alumni ? expect to be "in" the club for free

    just pure laziness on your part not to get a degree ....... you have no excuse

    i was too busy working on what they were studying in school. My wear my lack of degree as a badge of honor.

    In fields without those 'rent seeking' barriers to entry such as licensing, apprectice trumps school. Even the formal alumni networks exist to mitigate or operate within dynastic systems full of nepotism.

    a strong social network and in-field accomplishments trump a college reciept ;)
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    mikev wrote: »
    And you base your "theory" on what, exactly?

    in my case - the latest supercomputers with Uber fast graphics. only the top svhools had them and they tender to be locked away behind graduate program walls.

    undergrad was nothing but the past... hand me down education.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    greggl wrote: »
    i was too busy working on what they were studying in school. My wear my lack of degree as a badge of honor.

    In fields without those 'rent seeking' barriers to entry such as licensing, apprectice trumps school. Even the formal alumni networks exist to mitigate or operate within dynastic systems full of nepotism.

    a strong social network and in-field accomplishments trump a college reciept ;)

    You don’t have a degree or "rent" for that matter to seek. If you did, you would want to protect it or protect your investment/risk. Why wouldn’t anybody want to do that? Besides you can already today sit in your underwear and get a degree (I think it’s less of a degree) so what is your excuse?

    My best friend from college works on films he has a degree and a job. You decided to live the Hollywood life that’s on you for not thinking ahead. It’s you who refuse to play by any rules so you trash the rules inconvenient to you.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    greggl wrote: »
    Aka - rent seeking.

    I think there is nothing wrong with getting a good paying steady job and living a good simple life, raising a family and enjoying the life God has given us. There are few Gates, Jobs and Buffets out there. And some of them are not ever happy because the drive to obtain that kind of power precludes being able to enjoy the simple things.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    cpr wrote: »
    I think there is nothing wrong with getting a good paying steady job and living a good simple life

    nope. those tend to have some certification or licensing strategy. it's the difference between formal and informal economies.

    Informal economies value reputation and unique capabilities. I knew that, going in :)

    It was a simple opportunity cost decision in the end.
  • chubascochubasco Posts: 18,390 Officer
    cpr wrote: »
    In every job I have worked people with the higher education and credentials within the field get paid more. Even a simple lifeguard makes less than a lifeguard with a WSI (water safety instructor) card.

    I said within the field. Nurses with a 2 year degree make more then social workers or lab techs with 4 year degrees.


    All goes back to supply and demand. Garbage men make more than teachers too.
    Chubasco.jpg
  • With myself also being a Registered Professional Engineer, (Ocean Engineer) i truly understand the value of a higher education. Youngest son is in nursing program now.

    However, my oldest son was a computer geek forever and had things like bulletin boards, etc before the internet and ended up dropping out of high school. While we got him to get his GED, he never could stand college level computer and programming since no one he worked with had anywhere near his homegrown knowledge. He now runs his own very successful business with numerous clients and an income that blow his Dad away! He has a team of programmers, "code writers' whatever that is, and even a team that does nothing except PPC (Pay per click) monitoring and management.

    So whatever you do and however you do it, all it really takes is bunch of hard work!
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    chubasco wrote: »
    All goes back to supply and demand. Garbage men make more than teachers too.

    Maybe a few union guys up north but not in Fl.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    However, my oldest son was a computer geek forever ... he never could stand college level computer and programming since no one he worked with had anywhere near his homegrown knowledge.

    This.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    Finfinder wrote: »
    This is the new socialist mantra...... next thing is, it won’t be good enough for community college to be free they will have to guarantee the same quality of education as private and state colleges. Think about all the spending the libs can do in this area, in exchange for votes.

    look I was right .... I guess the LWNJ will just print money to pay for this.....
  • chubascochubasco Posts: 18,390 Officer
    Like most spending it just how you prioritize. Bush's war spending could have paid for a full 4 year degree at a state college for every student.
    Chubasco.jpg
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Skilled is the new unskilled.
  • rickcrickc Posts: 9,172 Admiral
    about the time I entered high school they began to phase out the vocational track in public schools. America put on this great push for college.

    I have often said this was a mistake. Plumbers, Electricians, Masons all of these trades will provide for a family and buy a home.

    A useless college degree, many of the liberal arts programs, and you are a highly educated waiter at Applebee's

    A degree in engineering like I have will open many doors. Now if you don't have the skills you won't be staying long. But engineering is nothing more than an educated tradesman. We have a skill that is needed and is valuable. Hard to outsource the construction of a road, bridge or building.
Sign In or Register to comment.