Home Politics

Texas Lawmaker Asks Muslims To Pledge Allegience To US, Gets Blasted On Social Media

phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
This article should remind everyone that American Muslims 'probably' don't make a habit of reciting the pledge of allegiance.

Texas Lawmaker Asks Muslims To Pledge Allegiance To US, Gets Blasted On Social Media

Freshman Republican state representative Molly White recently wrote a Facebook post asking American Muslim visitors to her office to pledge allegiance to the United States, and now she is getting blasted on social media for it.

The Texas lawmaker wrote on Facebook Thursday:
Today is Texas Muslim Capital [sic] Day in Austin. The House is in recess until Monday. Most Members including myself are back in District. I did leave an Israeli flag on the reception desk in my office with instructions to staff to ask representatives from the Muslim community to renounce Islamic terrorist groups and publicly announce allegiance to America and our laws. We will see how long they stay in my office.

The event, called Texas Muslim Capitol Day, was organized by the Texas chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR).

CAIR sent a letter to Texas House Speaker Joe Straus asking whether Rep. White had engaged in an ethics violation by asking American Muslims coming into her office to renounce terrorism and pledge allegiance to the US.

The letter reads:
Our ethics question is: Has Rep. White violated any House rules in creating such an internal office policy that is selectively being enforced to discriminate against certain religious minorities trying to meet with her or her staff? Are House members prohibited from making constituents take oaths before meeting with their elected representatives or House staff?

Many Facebook and Twitter users blasted White for her policy.
You can’t seriously be this clueless. Not very ‘Christian’ of you. We should organize a group to come visit you and shower you with love in return for your hate. That’s what Jesus (Peace Be Upon Him) would do. But what would you know about that.
#Islamophobia #Bigotry #MollyWhite #TAKEONHATE.
“Next can you ask all white people visiting the capitol [to] denounce the KKK? When you do, please ask your staff to make a youtube video! I’d watch it!”
I want to call Molly White an American terrorist but all she did was insult the second largest religion in the world
She forgot what America means. Another who slept through social studies class. What a tool

White stood by her statement, writing in a subsequent Facebook post:
I do not apologize for my comments. … If you love America, obey our laws and condemn Islamic terrorism, then I embrace you as a fellow American. If not, then I do not.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/texas-lawmaker-asks-muslim-americans-to-pledge-allegiance-to-us-gets-blasted-on-social-media/#uW29TqhHKXQR5hYM.97

Replies

• tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    I like her.

Eff thin-skinned hypersensitive moooooooslems
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    sounds about right, spineless liberals and social media
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    If you love America, obey our laws and condemn Islamic terrorism, then I embrace you as a fellow American. If not, then I do not.

The Big Eared One doesn't send a shiver up Molly's spine now does he? :Spittingcoffee:USA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    If you don't denounce the KKK you are labeled a sympathizer.
  • BlovigatorBlovigator Posts: 185 Deckhand
    Terrorists suck, currently a majority of the terrorists our country has been the victim of are Muslim. I personally find Islam a violence prone cult, but I feel that all religion is a form of allegiance to a cult. However, that is my opinion and the Constitution is rather clear that the citizens of the U.S. are allowed to follow whatever religion they want without being harassed by the state, no matter how dumb I think any belief in invisible super beings is. With that said, this idiot Woman in Texas is acting on her opinion of these peoples religion in direct opposition to our Constitution. This kind of behavior by a state or federal government agent is anti-American, contra to the standards that make America great and an ignorant display reminisint of past displays of religious intolerance. Our country has previously demonized a religious group and questioned that groups loyalty to America over their religion. We look at that period as rather stupid and ignorant, it was gross and anti-American then and the same behavior is gross now.

Anti-Catholicism was widespread in the 1920s; anti-Catholics, including the Ku Klux Klan, believed that Catholicism was incompatible with democracy and that parochial schools encouraged separatism and kept Catholics from becoming loyal Americans. The Catholics responded to such prejudices by repeatedly asserting their rights as American citizens and by arguing that they, not the nativists (anti-Catholics), were true patriots since they believed in the right to freedom of religion.[23]

In Alabama, Hugo Black was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1926 having built a political base in part through 148 speeches at local Klan gatherings, where his focus was the denunciation of Catholicism.[25] Ball characterizes Black as having "sympathized with the [Klan's] economic, nativist, and anti-Catholic beliefs."[26] As a Supreme Court justice, Black has been accused of letting his anti-Catholic bias influence key decisions regarding the separation of church and state. For example, Christianity Today editorialized that, "Black's advocacy of church-state separation, in turn, found its roots in the fierce anti-Catholicism of the Masons and the Ku Klux Klan (Black was a Kladd of the Klavern, or an initiator of new members, in his home state of Alabama in the early 1920s)."[27] A leading Constitutional scholar,[28] Professor Philip Hamburger of Columbia University Law School, has strongly called into question Black's integrity on the church-state issue because of his close ties to the KKK. Hamburger argues that his views on the need for separation of Church and State were deeply tainted by his membership in the Ku Klux Klan, a vehemently anti-Catholic organization.[29]

A key factor that affected the vote for and against John F. Kennedy in his 1960 campaign for the presidency of the United States was his Catholic religion. Catholics mobilized and gave Kennedy from 75 to 80 percent of their votes.[56] Some Protestant spokesmen, such as Norman Vincent Peale, still feared the Pope would be giving orders to a Kennedy White House.[57] To allay such fears, Kennedy kept his distance from church officials and in a highly publicized confrontation told the Protestant ministers of the Greater Houston Ministerial Association on September 12, 1960, "I am not the Catholic candidate for President. I am the Democratic Party's candidate for President who also happens to be a Catholic. I do not speak for my Church on public matters – and the Church does not speak for me."[58] He promised to respect the separation of church and state and not to allow Church officials to dictate public policy to him. Kennedy counterattacked by suggesting that it was bigotry to relegate one-quarter of all Americans to second-class citizenship just because they were Catholic. In the final count, the additions and subtractions to Kennedy's vote because of religion probably canceled out. He won a close election; The New York Times reported a "narrow consensus" among the experts that Kennedy had won more than he lost as a result of his Catholicism,[59] as Catholics flocked to Kennedy to demonstrate their group solidarity in demanding political equality.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,633 AG
    If you don't denounce the KKK you are labeled a sympathizer.

Your congressional representative requires you to denounce the KKK before you can enter their office?

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement.