Home General Fishing

Topwater Redfish?

ifitswimsifitswims Posts: 176 Deckhand
What conditions time of year/type of forage/species/migration dictate when Redfish will be hitting topwater?

thx.

Replies

• Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    Search and You will find Young Jedi Warrior
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Generally winter time is the wrong time to throw topwater, but there are even exceptions to that. Cold fish aren't going to want to chase stuff down. Any other time of the year it's game on. People will tell you that you should only fish them in calm overcast conditions but that's crap. I've boated many fish on topwater on windy sunny days. If it isn't cold, I have a topwater tied on, it's as simple as that.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    Low light conditions work best. Time of year doesn't matter from what ive seen. Less wind helps
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    All about water temps. It could be the middle of February with a long warm trend.... And water jumps to low 70s. You can throw topwater alllll day. If its middle of Feb, and we have not seen a day over 65 degrees in 2 weeks, and water temps are below 65... I would not bother with topwaters. This weekend we have a trip planned.... I do not plan on throwing topwaters.... If it were 78/80 all week I would. Make sense? With that said. Warmer months, like said above. Low light and less wind seems to be the best for me. If its April, and overcast all day... Id be calling in sick just to throw topwaters up on a flat. July/August... First light and last 30 min of daylight could be great.
  • linesider 159linesider 159 Posts: 828 Officer
    Fall and spring where i am you can throw topwater all day and smack them. I remember about a 2 week stretch where i would walk behind my house and get big reds and have tarpon blowing up on it. Middle of day.
    2016 Sterling 220XS (SOLD), see build thread here: Here
    2005 Lake and Bay Backwater (SOLD)
    Current Boats: 2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    My personal best redfish was caught on a topwater during a winter neg low.

All you need is a nice mudhole as the sun warms things up and the fish will eat...
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,009 Admiral
    My personal best redfish was caught on a topwater during a winter neg low.

All you need is a nice mudhole as the sun warms things up and the fish will eat...

Good Point.
    I love winter lows , As long as the Water somewhere is warm enough for them. I fish Back country mud bays a lot this time of year.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    Yup...the dark mud will be the first place to warm up as the sun rises...
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
  • ifitswimsifitswims Posts: 176 Deckhand
    All great info. Thanks gentlemen.
  • Reel AggressiveReel Aggressive Posts: 261 Officer
    the great thing about a topwater is that it produces so much more than just redfish. I agree with most the posts above and that a warmer than 65 water temp usually sees the best reaction. This last fall I took a client to a flat put the power pole down and handed the client his first Super Spook. He had never used a topwater before in his life. (Live bait guy) I taught him how to use it and reluctantly he started throwing wile I fixed a bilge issue on the boat. 15 casts 13 fish Multiple Snook Trouts and reds all at the same spot in just over 10 minutes.
    Every trip we go on now he makes sure we have a topwater rigged and ready.
    Watching an over slot redfish tackle your spook in about 18" of water is pretty awesome.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
  • MateauMateau Posts: 267 Deckhand
    Im new to the topwater deal and havent had a super success with it, as my overall timing was off... Point being, the few fish i have caught, have been some of the most exciting fishing i have done. Now that i have a few kinks worked out, when the weather warms up and the tides and moon phases line up, topwater will be my go to. Regardless of what hits it, seeing something smash a topwater lure is **** near orgasmic. Well not quite that far, but its pretty ****....