Home General Fishing

What is the "utlimate pompano trip"?

mikenavmikenav Posts: 861 Officer
Have a friend coming into town and wants to do the "ultimate pompano trip". I'm a snook guy. I don't eat pompano and I don't even know what that means. Is it sitting on the beach with your line 150 yards out? Or drifting the flats and castings jigs? I would seem to lean the second way only because you'll get some ladyfish mixed in and they jump around (and I don't have to be up at 5:30 to get decent bites). But I'm going to let you decide.

Sit on the beach?

Cast jigs and drift?

Go...

Replies

• niceShootniceShoot Posts: 71 Greenhorn
    Sittin' on the beach! Three rods per man, one in close in the first trough, one out as far as you can toss, one in-between. Live sand fleas, always sand fleas. When you start hittin' pomps, adjust all of your lines to the same distance from the beach and fill the cooler. Absolute best tasting fish in Florida, period. And terrific pound-for-pound fighters.
  • niceShootniceShoot Posts: 71 Greenhorn
    As for casting jigs, the pomps move so fast that you'd waste tons of time hoping to come across them unless you're sitting on some kind of structure that attracts their passes, like a local "pompano hole." Even then, better to just relax and let them come to you on the beach, and enjoy the short flurry of hits while it lasts!
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 861 Officer
    Now, see, that makes sense!!

Thank you
  • windblowswindblows Posts: 253 Deckhand
    I'm not much of a "sit on the beach and wait" kind of guy either, but there is nothing cooler than having 3 rods go down at the same time. Goes from relaxing to crazy in seconds. I've seen big pompano rip the rod holders right out of the sand too. Niceshoot is right - live sand fleas are absolutely best. I like to use fairly light spinning rods and like it when the surf is one foot or so with a light onshore to side shore wind (if possible...and I am talking about the Gulf Coast.)
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 861 Officer
    Sounds like I better dig out the lawn chairs...
  • Capt.AWCapt.AW Posts: 937 Officer
    Stow the chairs and get some jigs. I would much rather go out and pursue them rather than play the wait/bait game on the beach. Slow idle the flats until they skip, shut down, and start fishing. If nothing in 15 minutes, move on, and repeat. Eventually you will find feeding fish. If the weather allows, run the beach, and do the same process
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    What beaches are good for pomps?
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Capt.AW wrote: »
    Stow the chairs and get some jigs. I would much rather go out and pursue them rather than play the wait/bait game on the beach. Slow idle the flats until they skip, shut down, and start fishing. If nothing in 15 minutes, move on, and repeat. Eventually you will find feeding fish. If the weather allows, run the beach, and do the same process

Exactly!!!!! This is how real men catch Pompano.
  • snippersnipper Posts: 524 Officer
    i like pompano fishing. but don't expect a good fight, and don't have any illusions that they are even close to the best tasting fish. i like bait and wait. can be very boring, or very exciting and anywhere in between
  • gerrysgerrys Posts: 738 Officer
    Sand fleas the best. Clams second.