Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Lat long numbers

I have a question about entering in numbers into my lowrance, my gps takes them has lets say N 34.99.384 W82.78.999 these are random numbers now i had someone give me some numbers to put in but they are organized as 3588.23 N 8856.25 W do i enter these numbers as 35.88.230 and just add the 0 at the end? Im just confused because i was given 6 numbers but need 7

Replies

• flblueflblue Posts: 216 Deckhand
    There are multiple formats for lat/long. Your Lowrance has an option for choosing which coordinate layout. Easiest approach is to switch, enter the points then switch back. Looks like Degrees and minutes.
  • 100days100days Posts: 150 Deckhand
    If any of the last 2 are over .59 then yes its DDMM.MMM just add a zero and be prepared to search a bit.If not and it is DDMMSS,the GPS will have that option.And you'll still proby need to search.
  • fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,117 Captain
    I could not find anywhere where i can switch the type on my lowrance elite 7
  • capciofficapcioffi Posts: 831 Officer
    The last numbers are the magic numbers. Your friend gave you the right area now you need to find the sweet spot. I have numbers like that and when you get to the number you will have to look around for the right mark. You might land right on the mark or you could be off 100 feet, don't worry you can find what you are looking for very easily with these new finders. If you know it is a ledge then you will be looking for a ledge. Next you need to see if the ledge runs north/south or east/west. Once you have this figured out you can follow the ledge up and down to find the sweet spot. Sometimes it can be a spot where there's some sea fans, a larger rock on top, crack in the ledge, or a deeper under cut that you can not see on your finder but is there.
    If it live bottom you need to learn the colors of your machine. Go to an a area that you know is sand and look at the color. If you have a hard bottom spot go there and look at your colors. If you find the right bottom and no marks send down some chicken riggs with squid and see if anybody is home. I have spots that do not mark, that is until you drop a bait down there and then the machine lights up. Even if your buddy gave you all the numbers look around and see if you can dial in the number even more. Then save your new mark.
    Oh, with the ledges I will go back and forth marking waypoints on the ledge on the GPS and after you mark enough points you will be able to see how the ledge moves on the bottom. Good luck, it sounds like a pain in the rear, but wait till you start finding some honey holes and will spend time doing it every trip.
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,326 Officer
    it should be in the machine setup

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://northeastfloridabaitcoop.com/

2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• flfisherflfisher Posts: 161 Deckhand
    I always adda 5 at the end. That way you are in the middle and can start searching there
    20' Shearwater 150 VMAX
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,518 AG
    fsu11 wrote: »
    I could not find anywhere where i can switch the type on my lowrance elite 7

I think you can go to google maps and get the format you want. Test it with your GPS in your driveway and figure out which one you need.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]