Home Politics

Welfare Recipients Freak Out When They’re Told They Have To Work For It

phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
First of all, for you guys who check my source first before reading, you will love the source...

So, it's about 6000 residents.... or 6000 x $224/month = about $1.3M.

And, it's about food stamps... is it possible some of those 6000 ARE working, but with earnings low enough to qualify for food stamps?

But let's assume none of the 6000 are working.

How much will it cost the state of Maine to administer a program for finding suitable volunteer work, provide any safety training that may be required to perform said volunteer work, provide transportation to the site where the volunteer work is to be performed, or provide an employment training program? I think what will happen is, after a few months, 6000 people could end up sitting around at some holding area waiting for an assignment to do some volunteer work.

Hope they have TVs at these holding areas.

Welfare Recipients Freak Out When They’re Told They Have To Work For It

*GASP* Imagine that! You might have to work for something! You know, kinda like the rest of us. Thousands of childless, able-bodied adults in Maine just learned that they are going to have to work in order to receive their food stamps, and they aren’t happy about it.

It’s the end of the road for over 6,000 childless, able-bodied residents who have enjoyed regular free food on the taxpayer dollar. The Maine Department of Health and Human Services just told them it’s time to get up and do something to earn their keep or go hungry.

According to the Portland Press Herald, Maine’s Republican governor, Paul LePage, announced Wednesday that the state will now impose a work requirement on welfare recipients without dependents, which must be fulfilled in order to receive food stamps. All adults without a disability must have to actually work for food, volunteer twenty hours per week, or enroll in an employment training program if they want to ensure their EBT card (Electronic Benefits Transfer) is loaded each month. People under the age of 18 and over 50 are excluded from that law.

This law was on the table in the past but was put on hold six years ago in 2008, when Maine asked the Federal Government for a waiver from the rule because of the state’s high unemployment rate and anemic job market caused by the recession. However, this year LePage reinstated it, explaining that it is in the best interest of Maine’s limited resources, as well as getting people back to work.

“We must continue to do all that we can to eliminate generational poverty and get people back to work,” Governor Paul LePaige said in a statement on the decision. “We must protect our limited resources for those who are truly in need and who are doing all they can to be self-sufficient.”

DHHS Commissioner Mary Mayhew said, “This is complying with federal requirements, but it’s also about Governor LePage’s focus on how do we make this about prosperity? How do we focus on lifting people out of poverty so they can benefit from this economy.”

As to be expected, the change is not sitting well with many one-time recipients who are affected by this change in law. The entitlement mentality riddled with pathetic excuses for lazy behavior is particularly evident from Maine resident Melania, who whined about how she was particularly disturbed by the news that she would have to do something in order to receive her special “expensive” food. “I was just so upset after I got the phone call. It was a cushion especially for me because I have dietary restrictions; I have a lot of them, and the food is very expensive,” she explained. Melania had been receiving $224 per month for nothing and now just does not think it’s fair to have to put an effort forth for it.

There are those of us who work several jobs and still struggle every month to make ends meet because some of the money taken out of our paycheck for “taxes” goes to “help” people like this, who simply don’t want to work. It’s much easier to sit on the couch, watch Dr. Phil reruns, and collect money that other people work for, but we can’t all live that way. Thank you, Governor LePage, for seeing an issue and confronting it head-on.

http://rightwingnews.com/top-news/welfare-recipients-freak-theyre-told-work/

Replies

• mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    In principle, I like it.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
  • White DogWhite Dog Posts: 5,343 Officer
    How about we skip the training, rides, babysitter, ect and just make them get a job...... period.
    I wouldn't mind a rule that says hire them before you hire illegals.
    The White Dog.........R.I.P..........1996 - June 2nd, 2011
  • grady30wagrady30wa Posts: 10,161 AG
    The Feds, Democrats, and/or other leftist organizations will be along shortly to file suit against the Governor of Maine
    Schadenfreude. November 8, 2016
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    What will they actually do? Is this road cleanup?
  • JBondJBond Posts: 5,039 Officer
    phlatsphil wrote: »
    How much will it cost the state of Maine to administer a program for finding suitable volunteer work, provide any safety training that may be required to perform said volunteer work, provide transportation to the site where the volunteer work is to be performed, or provide an employment training program?

I am not sure that is really the role of the government. If people want to take their neighbors money, they can figure out how to do the above mentioned on their own.
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,800 Captain
    JBond wrote: »
    I am not sure that is really the role of the government. If people want to take their neighbors money, they can figure out how to do the above mentioned on their own.

Right. They find their own ride or they don't meet the requirements, and get nothing.
    No matter how you cut it, some poor sucker is gonna end up doing their old job - eliminated and now workfare.
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    mikev wrote: »
    In principle, I like it.

You're not a detail person, are you?

In principle, I like the idea of mining helium-3 from the moon's surface. Let's go!! Maybe we can build a pipeline from the moon to earth.

White Dog wrote: »
    How about we skip the training, rides, babysitter, ect and just make them get a job...... period.
    I wouldn't mind a rule that says hire them before you hire illegals.

Isn't that the hidden agenda, to persuade people to get a job? Isn't it possible they will find a minimum wage job and STILL qualify for food stamps?
    JBond wrote: »
    MGTeacher wrote: »
    Right. They find their own ride or they don't meet the requirements, and get nothing.

Reality people!!! Please, use your heads.

Maine will need an organization that can find 20 hours of 'volunteer' work for thousands of people every single week!! Road gang prisoners do unpaid work too, but we transport them to the site so they can perform the tasks.

So, we leave the prisoners behind bars and let these food stamp recipients do the road work. That requires safety equipment (orange vests), safety training, trash bags in which to put the trash they pick up, someone to pick up the trash bags when they're full, transportation to the section of road that's scheduled to be cleaned, etc. For the more able bodied ones, hey, they can do weed wacking along the medians... which of course displaces the already employed persons who do those tasks.

It's just not practical.
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,540 Admiral
    Maybe they could do this:

Have the youngins work the forests and land through irrigation, soil enrichment, pest control, tree planting, fire prevention and other conservation type projects. Teach them some commitement and pride and honor, a sense of ownership working for the handout in their state.

The next able bodied (the strong) could repair and upgrade roads, bridges and dams Even county schools, libraries, hospitals, post offices and playgrounds always need repair and upgrades.

Heck even have the tree-hugger liberal, anti hairwashing writers, actors, musicians type people perform for the workers, and at mall openings, bridge openings and perform like plays at ALL the parks in the cities. ALL of them. Talk about enrichment!!

And the best thing.....training for all this would be.........nearly nothing. But the plusses........wow think of how good these people will feel about themselves and accomplishements!!!

Maine is onto something new and fresh! I like it.
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    You're not a detail person, are you?

If you only knew..... :grin Well, actually in March you might know. I just didn't feel like expanding on my thought.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
    Ol Mucky, You just described the New Deal 'works' projects.
    greggl wrote: »
    Ol Mucky, You just described the New Deal 'works' projects.

So your telling me, once upon a time, people in American actually WANTED to work for their handout?
    GMAFB. No way!!!
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coxey%27s_Army

Coxey and then Smedly Bultler with the Bonus Army.

The did institute it, down to the murals, art, film and works project music at the time. Radical policy moves.
    Ol Mucky wrote: »
    So your telling me, once upon a time, people in American actually WANTED to work for their handout?
    GMAFB. No way!!!

Top 10 New Deal Programs

1. CCC - Civilian Conservation Corps

The Civilian Conservation Corps was created in 1933 by Franklin D. Roosevelt to combat unemployment. This work relief program had the desired effect and provided jobs for many Americans during the Great Depression. The CCC was responsible for building many public works and created structures and trails in parks across the nation.

2. CWA - Civil Works Administration

The Civil Works Administration was created in 1933 to create jobs for the unemployed. Its focus on high paying jobs in the construction arena resulted in a much greater expense to the federal government than originally anticipated. The CWA ended in 1934 in large part due to opposition to its cost.

3. FHA - Federal Housing Administration

The Federal Housing Administration was a government agency created to combat the housing crisis of the Great Depression. The large number of unemployed workers combined with the banking crisis created a situation in which banks recalled loans. The FHA was designed to regulate mortgages and housing conditions.

4. FSA - Federal Security Agency

The Federal Security Agency established in 1939 had the responsibility for several important government entities. Until it was abolished in 1953, it administered social security, federal education funding, and food and drug safety.

5. HOLC - Home Owner's Loan Corporation

The Home Owner's Loan Corporation was created in 1933 to assist in the refinancing of homes. The housing crisis created a great many foreclosures, and Franklin Roosevelt hoped this new agency would stem the tide. In fact, between 1933 and 1935 one million people received long term loans through the agency that saved their homes from foreclosure.

5. HOLC - Home Owner's Loan Corporation

The Home Owner's Loan Corporation was created in 1933 to assist in the refinancing of homes. The housing crisis created a great many foreclosures, and Franklin Roosevelt hoped this new agency would stem the tide. In fact, between 1933 and 1935 one million people received long term loans through the agency that saved their homes from foreclosure

6. NRA - National Recovery Act

The National Recovery Act was designed to bring the interests of working class Americans and business together. Through hearings and government intervention the hope was to balance the needs of all involved in the economy. However, the NRA was declared unconstitutional in the landmark Supreme Court case Schechter Poultry Corp. v. US. The Supreme Court ruled that the NRA violated the separation of powers.

7. PWA - Public Works Administration

The Public Works Administration was a program created to provide economic stimulus and jobs during the Great Depression. The PWA was designed to create public works and continued until the US ramped up wartime production for World War II. It ended in 1941.

8. SSA - Social Security Act

The Social Security Act was designed to combat the widespread poverty among senior citizens. The government program provided income to retired wage earners. The program has become one of the most popular government programs and is funded by current wage earners and their employers. However, in recent years concerns have arisen about the viability of continuing to fund the program as the Baby Boom generation reaches retirement age.

9. TVA - Tennessee Valley Authority

The Tennessee Valley Authority was established in 1933 to develop the economy in the Tennessee Valley region which had been hit extremely hard by the Great Depression. The TVA was and is a federally owned corporation that works in this region to this day. It is the largest public provider of electricity in the United States.

10. WPA - Works Progress Administration

The Works Progress Administration was created in 1935. As the largest New Deal Agency, the WPA impacted millions of Americans. It provided jobs across the nation. Because of it, numerous roads, buildings, and other projects were completed. It was renamed the Works Projects Administration in 1939. It officially ended in 1943.

resulted in a much greater expense to the federal government than originally anticipated.

[.

well they (the able-bodied recipients) are already getting the money so we might as well get some use out of them.

And it goes to prove the point FDR was quite possibly the worst president EVER and was the catalyst that sent us down the road we are at today. Something to think about
    hyper productivity and displacement by machine efficency PLUS monetary policy were the root causes.

It's all just little bits of history, repeating...
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Maybe they could just sit in the few inner city class rooms Maine has and help control things or tutor the future welfare class.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
    Should they wait there until we stop pumping our own gas, ordering from Amazon and using self-service checkouts?

Are they learning to code apps?

Who has the big need for labor? Doesn't seem like customers are there for them to serve until the middle class starts spending.
    cpr wrote: »
    Maybe they could just sit in the few inner city class rooms Maine has and help control things or tutor the future welfare class.

great idea, all 6000 of 'em, sitting in a few class rooms