Stuart Inlet

Hello All,
I am new to the area and need some general fishing info. I just purchased a 20 mako and would like to fish somewhere in or around the Stuart inlet. Is that the one by Sandsprit? I am currently over in dry dock at Martin County Marina. Where is a good spot to fish and what baits are best in this area? I dont currently have a depth finder but will have one shortly. Any suggestions/info helps. I need to get out!!!

Replies

• Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 941 Officer
    Yes Stuart Inlet (St Lucie Inlet) is the one near Sandsprit.

Bait - trolling is very popular up here, covers more ground as the bottom changes aren't as dramatic as down south. Live baiting can be done as well, hard to miss the guys looking for livies on the sandpile or bullshark barge.

As far as fishing spots, either look for flip flops or set up just past the outrigger of a mint green bluewater.
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,388 Captain
    Lazy Bones wrote: »
    As far as fishing spots, either look for flip flops or set up just past the outrigger of a mint green bluewater.

:S You owe me a laptop!
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • Kevinwwings2Kevinwwings2 Posts: 1,268 Officer
    Hey Dave we could have fun with this guy since both of our Bluewaters are Mint green.... Of course he would do better chasing you than me..

As for finding fish, the best option is get out there, and if you can go with someone else a time or two, or even trade trips with someone you can learn more than anything else. A GPS and a Fishfinder is a MUST for fishing this area.

There are so many differant ways to fish around here and so many options there is no way to narrow it down. I prefer live bait most of the time, but finding bait can be a challenge. Trolling to me is more work and not as relaxing, but does tend to produce very well. As for what baits, the sky is the limit. Anything works if the right fish see's it. The great thing about this area is there are a ton of options, the bad part is each one of those options requires a large learning curve.
    Good luck

If your available during the week to fish look me up, I may be looking for someone to go from time to time.
    Kevin
  • reef raidareef raida Posts: 244 Officer
    If your looking to start out inside the inlet everything will eat a shrimp. If your going to venture out be sure to follow the bouys or another boat through the inlet, it gets pretty narrow with the shouling.
  • joeyt1631joeyt1631 Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Thanks, I am thinking to start out inside first until I am more confident with the waterways and area in general. So, shrimp.. No brainer but where? free line ? Mouth of the inlet on incoming with a weight? Bridge?
  • BareHookBareHook Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    Here are some general ideas for the area.
    You can use shrimp on a jig head, leader with split shot or leader with sliding weight.

Slack Tide: Its a good time to anchor up inside the disconnected jetty

Tide in or out:
    Drift channel markers from crossroads to Stuart Causeway
    Anchor upcurrent at the deephole on the corner at sailfish point (drops to around 25 ft)
    Anchor stuart Causway, I like either side close to the center channel
    10 cent bridge east end work the pilings
    Drift house of refuge flats
  • joeyt1631joeyt1631 Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Thats what I wanted barehook. Thanks. BTW If you want to go fishing just let me know.
  • BareHookBareHook Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    I'd be happy to sometime, just shoot me an email [email protected]

Ken