Home General Fishing

beach shark gear

onICEonICE Posts: 988 Officer
What do you guys recommend for a good starting point with beach sharking? I have 20 inshore setups and nothing heavier than a calcutta 700. Also, what rig/hooks would you start with? Thanks.

Replies

• Reel AggressiveReel Aggressive Posts: 261 Officer
    onICE wrote: »
    What do you guys recommend for a good starting point with beach sharking? I have 20 inshore setups and nothing heavier than a calcutta 700. Also, what rig/hooks would you start with? Thanks.

Brace yourself, you just asked whats "whats good bbq?"

I dont beach fish for sharks (I like my boats) but i would say a 8-9' rod with the biggest conventional reel you can afford. I would use nothing less than 60lb braided line.
  • Silent snookerSilent snooker Posts: 378 Deckhand
    depends if you are looking to catch 4-6 ft spinners or 8-13 foot tigers and hammerheads. for the spinners i use a penn squall 30 on a 7 foot star rod.. that my do everything combo for sharks, kingfish, bottom fish, dolphin, etc…. big sharks require either a 50 or 80 wide (your favorite brand) or a big penn senator with a heavy stiff rod.
  • RoyalflushRoyalflush Posts: 535 Officer
    Depends on if u want to cast out baits or kayak out baits
  • onICEonICE Posts: 988 Officer
    Will be paddling the bait out. I don't want to start a debate about brands of gear just general size of rigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • RoyalflushRoyalflush Posts: 535 Officer
    Conventional reel, pref 2 speed, 50w size, w enough drag (50lbs min)to put the brakes on something decent w a rod that is 50-80 class
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    IMO Penn Senator 9/0 or Daiwa Sealine 900H is entry level & adequate for most 'Beach Shark Gear' encounters. Years ago I switched from Daiwa Sealine 400H to 600H just for Bottom Bumping.

Inherited a bunch of HD, forged eye, Mustad 12/0 & 14/0 shark hooks from an old friend who did tournaments in Tampa Bay in the Good Old Days. Wally had switched from SS stranded leader to chain b/c the big sharks he wanted cut him off. Fished a lot with large whole Mullet.

Many still prefer the old fashioned solid fiber glass rods he used to fish with, like the stout classic translucent green TruTemper Ash handled boat rods. Yes, they're heavy, but are still nearly indestructible - they used to advertise how rugged by driving over the rod with a pickup truck.
  • onICEonICE Posts: 988 Officer
    Circle hook or J? How long and want material leader?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Silent snookerSilent snooker Posts: 378 Deckhand
    we use circle hooks.(a lot of people don't) then 12-18 inches of cable crimped to 15 feet of 300-400 lb mono.
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 405 Deckhand
    For a starter combo that can handle big fish you can't beat a senator 9/0. If you don't want to spend a ton of money you can load it with 60lb mono but if you don't mind the cost and want some more capacity spool it with 600yds of 120 hollow core braid and top it off with 80lb mono. You can but a new senator 9/0 but the old ones with a chrome spool will hold more line just make sure you have the drag upgraded.

As far as rigs go i use a mustad 39960D circle hook anywhere from 12/0 to 20/0 depending on bait size. It is important you sharpen these hooks before use, they come fairly dull. I highly recommend circle hooks because you are far less likely to gut hook a shark which could kill it. Also all you have to do to set the hook is set the drag and start reeling.

I then attach 6-10ft of #15 single strand wire to the hook (I prefer wire to cable). and then attach a 15ft length of 300lb mono. (I usually forgo the mono leader for simplicity but if you want a chance at the big ones you must do this)

I started land based shark fishing a year ago and love it! Its a ton of fun when you catch something but still a ton of fun to just hang on the beach with friends. A word of encouragement though is it probably took us almost 10 trips before we finally caught something. So don't get frustrated if you can't catch something or aren't getting bites, there will be nights like that.