Home General Fishing

Shimano saragosa sw question

im wondering what you guys think about them. I'm getting a new tarpon for piers/land based rod for my bday. I'm straying from my Diawas to try out the shimano. What size would be best for my situation, not familiar with shimanos sizing. The smaller the better, , but I'd still like around 350 yards of line, it's between the 6k, 8k and 10k what would you think is best.

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    Why would you say smaller is better if fishing from a pier/land? I'd say exactly the opposite -- the bigger the better...because of line capacity and max drag settings. I'd go with the 10k, and I'd consider the 20k.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    If you're on a budget check out the new Spheros SW. Almost identical (except for a few bearings & drag design) & ~$100 less...
    I'd get the 10K, but the 6K may be enough... I think the 8K is just a 10K w/a smaller spool...
    A guy I know is selling a 'NiB' Saragosa 8kF for $205-Shipped (on 360*Tuna) if you like the last model better (lots of people do)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Beached anglerBeached angler Posts: 196 Officer
    yea, that was a typo, I meant bigger the better, since I'm partial of my Diawa's that saltist 4500 looking good, small body size and deep cut spool. I forgot to mention that I throw various lures, that's where the smaller weight, comes into play not just smaller, sorry I didn't being specific. Those gosas seem very big for the amount of line, the bodies are huge. Any other rod suggestion
    A very long one -- 8+ feet.
  • PmckhPmckh Posts: 199 Officer
    Go 10k all the way. Like reel stamas said, the 10k and 8k are the same size just with different spools so the 10k holds more line.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • niceShootniceShoot Posts: 71 Greenhorn
    I have three Saragosa 8Ks that serve as my all-purpose surf and pier rigs. Love those reels. Hauled in messes of pompano, 50+lb+ red fish, kings, you name it. Can't beat 'em, imo.
    Pmckh wrote: »
    Go 10k all the way. Like reel stamas said, the 10k and 8k are the same size just with different spools so the 10k holds more line.

Stamas is right about the Spheros (both the 8k and 10k reels are rated to 27lbs with the 20k @ 41 lbs). On the Saragosa, the 10k also has a higher drag setting, as follows:

8k: 27 lbs
    10k: 33 lbs
    20k: 44 lbs

Here are all the stats in case someone's interested:

http://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-spheros-sw-offshore-spinning-reels.html
    http://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-saragosa-sw-spinning-reels.html

Regardless, I agree with you, the 8k is too small, particularly if the OP intends on fishing for adult tarpon off a pier/bridge -- more for its line capacity rather than the raw drag. Which makes the 10k with it's 350 yds of 50lb about right from where I sit. You might be able to get away fishing for pompano, bull reds, kingfish, etc. with a smaller reel...but adult tarpon are another story entirely....particularly if you are fishing somewhere with current and large fish.
  • niceShootniceShoot Posts: 71 Greenhorn
    I would feel 100% confident hauling tarpon on the beach with an 8K, but agree that from a pier is a whole other story. Likely want to go bigger if that's your primary target, but will get tedious if you're trying to cash all day. The 8K is a workout but you get used to it.