Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Chokoloskee to Whitewater Bay

I was going to fish out of Flamingo but plans changed and now instead of camping with a fishing buddy I'm going to stay in a rental in Chokoloskee.
This will be my first backcountry fishing opportunity and I will have my Maverick HPX 18, 115 Yamaha 4 stroke with 35 gallon fuel tank.
I'll have 8-10 wt fly gear and conventional rods too.
How long does it take generally to get to Whitewater Bay from Chokoloskee?
Am I wasting fishing time making that voyage in the second half of March?
That is, should I just plan on closer spots?

Replies

• Bill BlantonBill Blanton Posts: 39 Deckhand
    In your boat, you should be able to make Whitewater Bay in a little over an hour. It's 40 miles from Outdoor Resorts in Choko to the mouth of the Shark, which is about as far as I run in my 17 HPX-V. It's not much farther to the north end of Whitewater.

Not a bad ride on a good day, especially in the morning when the wind is typically out of the east. In the afternoon, when the wind frequently shifts onshore, the ride home can be rough. Once you reach Lostmans River, you have the option of bailing on the outside and running the Wilderness Waterway on the inside.

To answer your last question, there's a lot of good water between Choko and Whitewater. Unless you know of something really good going on in Whitewater, I believe I'd stay closer to home.

Bill
    Fly fish the Everglades with Capt. Bill Blanton
    www.flyfishtheglades.com
    (239) 253-8899
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 875 Officer
    Better off staying in Fl City and driving to Flamingo.
  • MegalopsAtlanticusMegalopsAtlanticus Port of the Islands, FLPosts: 91 Greenhorn
    Yeah, that is quite a run to fish out of Everglades City... Especially since you will be passing by a LOT of rivers and back bays that will be holding PLENTY of good fish and FAR fewer anglers than Whitewater Bay. I launched in Flamingo this past three-day weekend and Whitewater Bay and **** Bay were LOADED with boats. Boaters didn't seem to thin out much till we got way past Tarpon Bay and headed up Avacado Creek.

If you are dead-set on fishing Whitewater Bay, camping in Flamingo is by far the best choice.

Renting a place in Chokoloskee, you would have a lot more quality fishing time simply heading into the backcountry and fishing closer to your home dock, it would seem. Whitewater Bay is a good fishery, but Im not so sure it can hold its own versus Chokoloskee.
    "Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
  • MegalopsAtlanticusMegalopsAtlanticus Port of the Islands, FLPosts: 91 Greenhorn
    If you are looking for early Tarpon on the fly in mid-March, it is likely you don't need to run any further south than the middle of Broad River. Plenty of vanguard migrators lay up in there before pressing on further north.
    "Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 877 Officer
    I really appreciate the responses. I've rented a place in Chokoloskee and my first trip there can't come too soon!
  • fromthefortfromthefort Posts: 89 Deckhand
    Im planning a trip to everglades city around the first week in march. Been there a couple of times in the fall but never fished that area in the spring. How is the redfish, snook and trout during those months and is backcountry or out on the islands a good area to start looking for them. Everything looks like a good down there and it makes it harder to locate fish. Thanks
    from the fort
  • fromthefortfromthefort Posts: 89 Deckhand
    Finbully, good luck! You will really enjoy it. Chokoloskkee is awesome.
    from the fort