Home Photography Corner

Advice on Lens Selection

I currenty shoot a Nikon D50, 70-300mm VR lens. What type of lens would I need to use if I wanted to get the lure as well as the fisheman in focus in the following picture.

DSC_0015-7.jpg

Is this possible with my current lens?

File Name: DSC_0015-7.jpg (Edit)
File Size: 77 kb - 799 x 531

Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION

Camera Model: NIKON D50

Date/Time: 2011:08:21 07:02:14

Resolution: 799 x 531

Flash Used: No

Focal Length: 75.0mm (35mm equivalent: 112m...

Exposure Time: 0.0025 s (1/400)

Aperture: f/5.0

Whitebalance: Auto

Metering Mode: center weight

Exposure: program (auto)

I normally shoot in the "A" mode, for some reason the camera was set to "Auto". Thanks for any help.

Replies

• WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    You have the lens. You just need to stop down the lens to between f22 and f32, in A or M mode. The Nikon webpage says that lens will go to f32, I was a little surprised.
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    You will never get that action shot in focus at any f stop setting because the lure is moving and if you are in a boat, no tight f stop will work because your shutter speed will have to be too slow. Either the angler will be in focus, or the lure will be in focus - and it is very difficult to get the lure in focus when it is moving. I've done it, but only after a couple of hours of shooting, and maybe 150-200 shots. So if you need that shot for something, practice, practice, practice. And it's helpful to have a laptop with you so you can really see what you've got, rather than looking at the miniscule screen on your camera and hoping.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    you might could do it by raising your ISO to around 600 or 800...
    this would allow to use a tighter apreture and a faster shutter speed....
    and get the shot....
    however, you'll have probably have a noisy image....
    shoot in RAW and use any noise reduction tools your software has to fix or minimize....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,211 AG
    you might could do it by raising your ISO to around 600 or 800...
    this would allow to use a tighter apreture and a faster shutter speed....
    and get the shot....
    however, you'll have probably have a noisy image....
    shoot in RAW and use any noise reduction tools your software has to fix or minimize....

tim

Don't know why you would need to shoot it RAW, but it will be extremely hard to get both items in focus with one being so small. Now you could always shoot the image from the side, both then would be on the same focal plane and would be much easy to get in focus. Othere-wise a little photo shop maybe?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Dave...
    Flash wrote: »
    Don't know why you would need to shoot it RAW, but it will be extremely hard to get both items in focus with one being so small. Now you could always shoot the image from the side, both then would be on the same focal plane and would be much easy to get in focus. Othere-wise a little photo shop maybe?

i took Craig Harding's advice and only shoot raw now....
    there is a lot more info available to salvage images, particularly those that have a lot of noise but have good exposure and composition....
    my canon software has a very good tool for cleaning up noisy images which would have ended up in the round file otherwise...
    i know that with your style of shooting, jpg is just fine and saves you a lot of time in the "light room"......
    i think he may have been able to get the shoot with a big iso boost...i know that i have gotten lucky with some images in the past...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,211 AG
    Dave...

i took Craig Harding's advice and only shoot raw now....
    there is a lot more info available to salvage images, particularly those that have a lot of noise but have good exposure and composition....
    my canon software has a very good tool for cleaning up noisy images which would have ended up in the round file otherwise...
    i know that with your style of shooting, jpg is just fine and saves you a lot of time in the "light room"......
    i think he may have been able to get the shoot with a big iso boost...i know that i have gotten lucky with some images in the past...

tim

Well your right there. I let the camera do most of the work, especially since this is not a HDR type of image. I am wondering if a wide angle would do better and give an immense amount of DOF to work with?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • HeywoodHeywood Posts: 49 Deckhand
    Thanks, I should have rephrased the questions, as I knew that it would be hard to get the lure in focus since it was moving. Lets say it was sitting still, or there was a tailing fish in the foreground. Still doable with that lens?

I tried looking up an article I had on DOF, but it looks like I lost it. Anyone have one or have a link to a good article on DOF?

Thanks again.
  • WB DrifterWB Drifter Posts: 203 Deckhand
    In a way it depends on your perspective.
    http://www.digital-cameras-help.com/depth-of-field.html

Depth of field increases with distance. The farther you place the camera from your subject, the more depth of field you can obtain. Landscapes have great depth of field, while macro photographs tend to have very little depth of field because the subject is so close to the lens.

DOF ~

http://www.azuswebworks.com/photography/dof.html
    http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

From an an esoteric perspective ...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Depth_of_field
    [SIGPIC] You are only allowed 0 images. [/SIGPIC]
  • DustinDustin Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    Bill,

That's going to be a difficult shot to pull off with the 70-300. If you stop down enough to get the DOF needed (thick enough focal plane) to have both the kayak and the lure/splash in focus, you're shutter speed is probably going to be too low. I've done this type of shot before with a much wider lens (any 18-XX kit lens will work fine). The key is to position yourself close to where the lure will land. If the kayak is 30ft away from your position, an 18mm lens on your D50 set to an aperture of f/16 will give you a DOF ranging from 3ft in front of you to infinity. As long as your angler can land the lure around the 3-5 ft mark, you'll have the shot with good detail on the lure/splash with the kayak in the background.
  • bmarkeybmarkey Posts: 319 Deckhand
    Moving has nothing to do with your issue. Longer lenses feature much less depth of field. Adding to the lack of depth is the great distance between the boat and the lure.

A higher F/stop (like F/11 to 32, requiring lots of light and/or a slow-moving subject) will offer more depth of field, as will a wide angle lens. But it would be very difficult to get close enough to the angler with a wide angle and have him cast toward you, yet get both subjects in focus.

Bob Markey
    United Realty Group
    www.WellingtonHomes.com
    Sport, Event & Real Estate Photography
    Palms West Photo
    www.MarkeySportsPhoto.com
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,919 Admiral
    Only a wide-angle lens is going to get that much DOF.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events