Info on Bahia Honda for accomidations and fishing

Was looking to get Southwest Fla members opinion on Bahia Honda.. We usually go all the way to Key West, but am getting tired of the outrageous costs and crowds. We usually make the trip in late June/early July. I have a 20ft CC and would like to trailer it down from PC to try my luck at Tarpon around the bridges. So I am looking for a decent/reasonable (around 200 a night-off season rates) place to stay with quick easy access to a public boat ramp. I have 3 women. LOL.:banghead Wife and daughters,13 and 15. Our interests are fishing,beach,snorkeling and of course some shopping for the women.

Any info/suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Brian

Replies

• CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,931 Captain
    I would take a look at VRBO in that area. I have a buddy that has booked some crazy nice houses on the water in the keys. I would think if you are going June/July rates should be pretty good too because I would think it would be the slow time of the year.

Love the Bahia Honda area. Gorgeous. Had camped there a lot back in the day. Haven't done a lot of boating though but would like to try it.

Another side note. I have heard cops in the keys are pretty strict on your trailer requirements. Brakes in particular. So make sure you are legal before you tow into the keys. Not sure that is true but that is what I have heard.

Good luck and tight lines. Sounds like a great trip.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • GamekillaGamekilla Posts: 461 Officer
    VBRO is a great bet. It all depends on how long you're going to stay. There are a couple nice hotel/small resorts on Marathon that are close enough (10 miles or so) to Bahia Honda. There is a boat ramp at Bahia Honda which is the safest bet and then a few up and down from there that will require a little of a run.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,925 Captain
    I'm thinking that Bahia Honda is a state campsite and very popular. Beautiful area.
    Make your reservations early.
    Jim
  • ComandanteComandante Posts: 272 Deckhand
    May I suggest Big Pine Key Fish Camp
    I have used their accommodations, launch ramp, trailer storage, and wet slips numerous times to fish Tarpon at Bahia Honda. The Bahia Honda channel is only a 10 minute run from your dock and prices are in your target range.
  • flbluerunnerflbluerunner Posts: 703 Officer
    Bahia Honda is a state park, your closest accommodations will be Big Pine, the fish camp sounds like a great idea.
    My wife tells me that the shopping in the Keys sucks, mostly tourists stuff. She goes to the mainland to feed her shopping frenzy.
    John :USA
    2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
    2001 23 Parker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman Posts: 893 Officer
    Big Pine Fishing Lodge. 2 mile run to the bridge and excellent location. Stayed there last year with boat slip and it was great.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,925 Captain
    It's a long drive to the mainland from Key West.
    Jim