Home General Fishing

High Speed Wahoo lure recommendations

I have used a variety of different high speed lures with one of my favorites being the C&H Mr Big rubber skirt. They have been out of them for months.
Tried an 80lb class C&H Poseidon but on it's first trip after producing 3 Wahoo the head totally cracked and made it unusable. Not good for an $80 lure.

Need some other suggestions.
John :USA
2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
2001 23 Parker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I use cheap lures w/Lead Heads... @>15kts all that fancy stuff is a bluuuurrrrr...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,030 Officer
    http://www.ballyhood.com/wahoo_express.htm

These hold up well, and the spinner blade on the hook seems to make a considerable difference in getting hits - it gives the bait a "tail," which provides a target (along with the lure's eyes) for 'hoos. However, I like to use a double-hook rig with the hooks positioned at 180 degrees, and use a ball bearing swivel rather than a barrel swivel on the spinner blade, to help prevent the torque generated by the blade from spinning the lure. I used a prototype in an ~30-boat tournament based out of the Ocean Reef Club in Key Largo, and won awards for top boat, top angler, top wahoo, and top dolphin - and both the wahoo and dolphin ate the prototype lure fished on a wire line rig. Just FYI, I provided some input on the lure's design, but receive no remuneration from, and have no affiliation with, Ballyhood.
  • Capt KurtCapt Kurt Posts: 410 Deckhand
    You can't beat the offerings from Bahama Lure
    visit Pure Pilates in Fort Lauderdale - http://www.pure-pilates.net
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,517 Captain
    Marauder lures were one of my favorites when I lived on the west coast(not FL).
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,392 Captain
    Marauder lures were one of my favorites when I lived on the west coast(not FL).

Marauder's and YoZuri bonita's are very productive, but you can't effectively pull them faster than 10 knots before they're jumping and skipping all over the wake making a tangled mess of the spread. I have had success with them being pulled slower in a mixed spread.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • onICEonICE Posts: 988 Officer
    make your own from an ilander, rubber skirt, etc. Costs about 1/3 as much.
  • flbluerunnerflbluerunner Posts: 718 Officer
    Tried the Islander set up and yet to catch a Wahoo on it on days when they were biting other lures?
    John :USA
    2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
    2001 23 Parker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]