Negative low tide producing Redfish!

This past week we had an early negative low tide, perfect to drop the yak in and fish for Reds. I took out a dozen shrimp and a few different colored plastics I like in the winter. I planned on scouting Reds either tailing or pushing water on the flats. As I moved out onto the flat, I was instantly gratified by seeing a bunch of single Reds pushing wakes and leaving evidence of Redfish with trails of dust. It took a lot of work from that point, they were not feeding. The water was starting to move incoming by now and I saw a small Red follow in and miss my white paddletail. One of the next few casts I hit a school of 10 bruiser Redfish in the nose and it was on. The fish in this school were all in formation facing into the tide and in a larger group than all the singles I saw all morning. Every flat I scout has single fish scattered throughout in the grass, sand mixture bottoms. Although the fishing isn't going off I see a very good spring coming for us in Tampa Bay. I continued this same pattern of slow fishing and taking my time a few days last week working the the lower stages of both tides.

Replies

• ElkchaserElkchaser Posts: 180 Deckhand
    Great report. Bruiser reds. I am seeing the same in UTB/Safety Harbor. Not catching though.
  • linesider 159linesider 159 Posts: 828 Officer
    Elkchaser wrote: »
    Great report. Bruiser reds. I am seeing the same in UTB/Safety Harbor. Not catching though.
    There are a lot of fish there right now, you just need to find them. This winter has been insane, never seen so many reds grouped up in the winter
    2016 Sterling 220XS (SOLD), see build thread here: Here
    2005 Lake and Bay Backwater (SOLD)
    Current Boats: 2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1