Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Bear loin

Bite 1Bite 1 Posts: 489 Deckhand
Any new recipes for these critters? Southern style of course. Hate to waste good meat. Talking loin& backstrap fried? Know U have have to cook crap out out of them, just hate hate to waste meat. Got it going tonite, one way or another. Help !!!!!

Replies

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,230 AG
    I got nothin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 481 Deckhand
    i had some ground bear meat that i made a jambalya out of and it was great. guess you could grind the loin, or cube it and do a carne guisada type thing. actually, i didn't know the meat i had was ground, thought it was a chunk. i had planned to do the carne guisada thing, but changed tracks when i realized it was ground meat.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,230 AG
    Chili might be interesting too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • stussingstussing Posts: 85 Greenhorn
    I have eaten bear. I have been told who have way more experience than me state what the bear has been eating has a direct relationship to how edible the meat is. Try a piece at first. If it has good flavor, go for it. You should be able to substitute the bear for any venison recipe. chili, stew are good choices, slow cook a roast should work well
  • bobert421bobert421 Posts: 400 Deckhand
    I had some bear loin that was diced up and slow cooked in a stew. Same as you would for a beef stew. Came out excellent. Had no idea that it was bear.