Home Egret Boats

Awlgrip decks /cockpit- refinishing older egret - painter recommendation?

FreshFresh Posts: 22 Greenhorn
Any recommendations for a good painter to awlgrip decks of older egret? Want it done professionally and timely. I am in central Florida but willing to travel for the best job. Many Thanks

Replies

• silverdreamssilverdreams Posts: 234 Deckhand
    I had Fiberworx in Stuart do mine with Awlgrip......his reputation is top shelf within the boat builder community and is really good at matching colors. Happy to take pictures of mine if you want to see something specific......or you can see it listed in the for sale section for boats.

If you call Fiberworx, tell Bobby that Joe with the Egret recommended him.
  • FreshFresh Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Thank you. I just checked your boat out and it looks great; I may be going south with it. Where did you get the custom switch panel made? I have replaced mine twice and looks like you found a good solution.
    Fantastic Plastic in Stuart made up the panel......I forget where I found the LED lights, but I can track that down for you if you like.

Feel free to give me a call if I can help in anyway.....(772.519.3978)
    Very Good, I will certainly be calling for additional details. Thanks for the offer
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    Fresh wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a good painter to awlgrip decks of older egret? Want it done professionally and timely. I am in central Florida but willing to travel for the best job. Many Thanks

I had my deck done in Orlando by the East Cape crew. And they did all new gel coat and changed the color as well.
    The awlgrip is a nice product and much easier to clean. Just make sure you get the texture more on the rough side because it is on the slippery side compared to what you have now. I wish I had made my deck rougher.
  • brew1891brew1891 Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Tom Gordon now has a shop in Titusville. Might want to give him a call. 786-393-4752
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    For those of you with Awlgrip decks, do the Yeti coolers stay in place without being tied down? That's one thing I really love about the standard non-skid on my Egret is the Yeti barely moves with no tie downs at all. On my old Hells Bay, I had Awl Grip decks and loved the easy clean up but I had a Eva Cool Cooler that had to be tied down to the floor to keep it from shooting around the cockpit like a missile. Even with the tie downs it wanted to slip back towards the console and pinch the reels in the rod holders on the front of the console. But that Eva Cool didn't have the non slip feet like the Yeti.

I have always planned on doing my deck in Awlgrip down the road but wondered if I would be back to tying down coolers.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    My cooler hardly moves with the awlgrip deck. I also second Tom Gordon. His shop is in Titusville and does great work.

https://www.facebook.com/islamoradaboatworks/timeline

http://www.islamoradaboatworks.com/contact.html
    The new Eva Kool coolers have non skid feet.......my boat has awlgrip and my cooler doesn't move at all, and it's not tied down.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    Great info on the coolers not moving around. I'm going to fish my boat about 3 more years then evaluate how the decks are looking and decide if I want to resurface. They are still perfect but unquestionably harder to clean than the Awlgrip.

I have found that treating the Egret and Pathfinder's non skid with pretty much any car detailing spray really makes them repel dirt and clean up much easier. It doesn't yellow like Woody's Wax and seems to last longer than Rejex.
    Thanks for recommendations on painters. Ironically, I visited the East Cape shop last week and those guys have a great thing going on but I didn't think they do refinish work as they are pumping out new skiffs left and right; Kevin is a cool guy that loves building skiffs. I almost just put down a deposit to get in line for a new one. I thought same thing about Islamoranda boats regarding focusing on new boats but certainly will reach out to those guys.

Regarding the EvaKool, that is a great cooler with rubber feet. I have a big fiberglass 120 quart model mounted longways in the cockpit; I used the kennedy tiedowns at each end and it has rubber feet. Drilled holes in plastic handle area(above handle) so no holes into cooler....works perfect and doesn't move.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    I totally agree with Egret's Landing. I ended up with Awlgrip done at factory after a build sheet screw up. It's supposedly "extra coarse" nona skid which is the most aggresive and it sucks. Looks great but sucks as non skid. It was never great and after two years its about the same as the gel coat non skid after ten. Several people have slipped on the deck and I really smashed my leg last week on the edge of the rod locker. I'm planning to do Kiwi deck very soon and get really rough with it. It's no fun fishing on a boat that you're scared to move around on..
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    mbowers wrote: »
    I totally agree with Egret's Landing. I ended up with Awlgrip done at factory after a build sheet screw up. It's supposedly "extra coarse" nona skid which is the most aggresive and it sucks. Looks great but sucks as non skid. It was never great and after two years its about the same as the gel coat non skid after ten. Several people have slipped on the deck and I really smashed my leg last week on the edge of the rod locker. I'm planning to do Kiwi deck very soon and get really rough with it. It's no fun fishing on a boat that you're scared to move around on..

Must be operator variability. I fish a Moccasin that recently came from the factory with Awlgrip and the cockpit is ridiculously coarse. So much so that the owner is thinking how he might soften it a bit (actually, I really like it). The cap deck, however, is more like my gelcote on the Egret 18'9. I guess it depends on who did it and how much media they put in the process.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Must be operator variability. I fish a Moccasin that recently came from the factory with Awlgrip and the cockpit is ridiculously coarse. So much so that the owner is thinking how he might soften it a bit (actually, I really like it). The cap deck, however, is more like my gelcote on the Egret 18'9. I guess it depends on who did it and how much media they put in the process.

There is also a fine, course and extra course. Like poleposition said it depends on what was used and how much.

http://www.awlgrip.com/MPYACMDatasheets/4078+A+eng+A4.pdf

You'll notice the poling platform is extra course when compared to the deck.
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    My awl grip was a bit slick when it was new but is considerably less slick after about a year of use.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    My awl grip was a bit slick when it was new but is considerably less slick after about a year of use.

If you don't get the awlgrip on the rough side, the deck is too slippery when it's wet and especially in bare feet. How would it get rougher over time when it's the media they add that creates the increased friction and over time that is what slowly wears away? The base is a very hard slippery surface with no media added. If the media is worn away it would be like walking around on shiny gel coat. Easy to clean but also easy to slip and fall with not a good ending.
    My deck and cockpit area have the coarse grit awl grip and is consistent throughout the entire boat. Never had a problem I even rejex my entire deck and I never loose my footing or slip even when it's wet and offshore!

Hey Martin maybe there is some Lizard Slim left on the deck. Need to scrub that a little better! It helps with the traction!
    mbowers wrote: »
    It makes a great gator hunting platform. It was a hassle hauling his 11.5 ft 400lb carcass in, maybe I should mount a hoist? j/k :)

20140815_220234_zpsu7kftsrc.jpg

20140815_221716_zpsxhwznzvr.jpg
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    Somebody need a jon-boat.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    I just scrubbed the deck as clean as a Flats Boy scrub so it wasn't dirty. plus gators don't have slime :)

It makes sense that different painters produce different results but then you'll have to expect to do the Awlgrip a few times to get the right result. I ordered the roughest non skid possible so I thought that would have been easily done. I was expecting 20 grit type abrasive but got something like 120 grit that has quickly worn down to 220 grit.

One change I plan to make when I refinish with Kiwi grip is to run the non skid in the cockpit up the radius with the sides. Otherwise there's a fairly wide strip of bare gel coat on the floor next to the side and if all your weight is over that strip of bare gel coat it's like there's no non skid at all. It probably won't look as good as the factory layout but I'm pretty sure it will help keep people from getting hurt.
    I would do Awl grip again and make the grit like you want and stay away from the Kiwi Grip. Reason being is resale on the boat! Just saying :rolleyes
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Martin , send it back. Frank had to redo one that I know of for being too slick.I will not name people but he stands behind it.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    Thanks for all the support guys. Went with the Awlgrip. Turned out perfect.
    Hows that Mercury 150 four stroke?
    its a 115. haven't run it yet...putting boat back together
    Give us a report back once you get so time on her!
    :thumbsup
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    How would it get rougher over time when it's the media they add that creates the increased friction and over time that is what slowly wears away?

Either it had a coating of wax or polish or the media that has been coated in awl grip wore off so there is more exposed.