Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Fishing the Oak Hill area!

Fished the oak hill area for the first time last weekend. Found quite a few under slot fish on the grass flats using artificials. Wanting to get into the bigger fish any suggestions on where to try? Took a while to find fish but when located the bite was pretty consistant. Thanks for any info that you are willing to give up.
from the fort

Replies

• fromthefortfromthefort Posts: 89 Deckhand
    Don't want your secret spots just idea on wether I need to be deeper water or near a channel or any advise.
    from the fort
  • S.S.TupperwareS.S.Tupperware Posts: 1,057 Officer
    just have to put your time in, they move around...
    just have to put your time in, they move around...

The smaller ones that I caught were around the marsh areas didnt know if those same areas hold the big fish also. Really neat area to fish. Can't wait to make it back up that way for another try. Caught mostly on soft plastics. Thanks
    from the fort
  • NSByakNSByak Posts: 424 Officer
    Find clear water and you'll probably find the fish. Was out there about 3 weeks ago and as soon as I found some decent water I found tails and cruising fish (this was in the afternoon/evening). They weren't trophy fish by any means but they were slot-sized. I've never caught any massive ones in the Oak Hill area, they're usually further south.
    NSByak wrote: »
    Find clear water and you'll probably find the fish. Was out there about 3 weeks ago and as soon as I found some decent water I found tails and cruising fish (this was in the afternoon/evening). They weren't trophy fish by any means but they were slot-sized. I've never caught any massive ones in the Oak Hill area, they're usually further south.[/QUOTE

I've heard the fishings good down south. I will have to give that a try sometime. Just want something to pull a little drag and get a nice picture with. Thanks for the info.
    from the fort
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    Hey man, listen to NSByak, he knows what he's talking about and believe he will do all he can to help you. I've sent you a long boring PM!!! Good luck
    tunaman wrote: »
    Hey man, listen to NSByak, he knows what he's talking about and believe he will do all he can to help you. I've sent you a long boring PM!!! Good luck

Thanks, I appreciate any info that I can get. Enjoy talking fish when I can't be out there doing it. Hopefully I can get up that way more and meet some of you all!
    from the fort
  • Tarpon ReconTarpon Recon Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    This is a 42 inch fish that I caught last night after work.
    I am catch and release only so I can't speak for slots but for over slot, Oak hill is an unbelievable fishery. Fishing is great so many different opinions, My humble opinion on fishing oak hill is that it Doesn't matter where your at as long as your deep. Use a 4/0 style j hook straight to mono with a blue gill sized pin fish, great bait works year round for me with these reds. some nights you can absolutely crush em. I personally horse crank em typical size reds seem to be in the 40 inch range I did however get a 40 lb one on the last cold snap plenty of monsters for everyone if thats what your into.
    What a red! Nice fish Recon
    from the fort
    What a red! Nice fish Recon

As long as I am catching thats all that matters to me. I usually release my fish. Every once in a while I like to have a good fish sandwhich though.
    from the fort
  • Tarpon ReconTarpon Recon Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Nothing wrong with a lil fish sandwich every now and again. Lot of trout around I just have not caught many slot reds Doesn't mean they are not there but the bulls generally a deep water spot will have a couple for you to pull on.
    Nothing wrong with a lil fish sandwich every now and again. Lot of trout around I just have not caught many slot reds Doesn't mean they are not there but the bulls generally a deep water spot will have a couple for you to pull on.[/QU
    from the fort
    Check out some of the articles on my blog. Please comment about your trips to these areas and post some pictures. Thanks for looking. Proud of what i have so far. http://floridaflatsfishin.blogspot.com
    from the fort
  • chainsawcitychainsawcity Posts: 169 Officer
    nice start on the blog. you'll have a real nice piece in a few years if you keep up posting at least a week.

BTW your google analytics UA # is visible on the right hand side of your page.
  • gblack15gblack15 Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    I am seeing the same thing in the PSJ areas that I just started fishing, lots of small trout on plastics but nothing to stretch a line. I would love some advice from some of the more seasoned anglers on here.