Home General Fishing

New St. Croix Travel Rod Question...

davidgiddavidgid Posts: 250 Deckhand
I got a St.Croix Tidemaster Travel Rod for Christmas. Being that this is my first graphite rod I am not sure what to think. The rod is so thin, but feels amazing in my hand. I really expected a heftier rod, but I guess that is what you get when you pay extra for a graphite rod. By heftier I mean I expected the rod to have a larger diameter, but it feels like a high dollar twig in my hand. Anyway I was not able to see one in person to see how well the rod would match with my real. The reel I was to use it with is a Penn Battle II 3000. My problem is when I put the battle on the rod the center of the spool was no where close to lining up with the eyes of the rod. When I put them on a straight line the line crossed half way up the rod.

I will be in Louisiana and Florida next week visiting family and fishing when I can. I am tempted to run out a buy either a Penn Battle II 2500 or a Penn Fierce 2500 because I think either of those would line up much better with this new rod.

Anyway my question is, does anyone have this rod reel combo I am trying to put together, and do you think the battle 3000 is just too much reel for that rod. Also how much do you think it matters that the center of the reel and eyes to not form a straight line? Do you think it will take much of my casting distance?

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,246 AG
    Why don't you put the reel on the rod and tie on whatever you plan on throwing (jig head... small plug) and see how it feels before going out to buy something...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    ^^^^^^ X2
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • stussingstussing Posts: 85 Greenhorn
    There are many sizes of Tidemaster Travel rods. Which one do you have? I use a 3000 size reel on our travel rods. If the 3000 Battle balances okay for you then fish with it.

The question about the guides not lining up with the reel, the top parts of the rod are not correctly lined up with the reel seat and thus the reel when mounted on the rod.
  • davidgiddavidgid Posts: 250 Deckhand
    I have the medium heavy fast action 7 foot rod. As duckman suggested I was dieing to get outside and just toss it. I was in my office all day with work and I have nowhere around my house that I could take a clean cast. I would have needed to take a drive down to the lake as my road is covered with power lines. I had to run errands tonight and was thinking about just picking up a new reel here in chattanooga. I think I will just fish with what I have next week and reevaluate. If it works out well maybe I will be able to post some Louisiana trout and reds on this post.
  • stussingstussing Posts: 85 Greenhorn
    I have the same rod but as a 7 ft 6 inch. It has more than enough back bone to catch reds and trout. In my opinion a little stiff to throw 1/4 oz shrimp well. Make sure you have both pieces fully connected. If you have never owned a multi piece rod, run the insert piece against the side of your nose, push it into the open end and then give it a twist to line up the guides with the reel seat. To take apart, just twist and then pull apart. I often use my 4000 shimano stradic on the rod and it balances well with that reel. I also use the next size reel smaller.
  • davidgiddavidgid Posts: 250 Deckhand
    So I got a chance on two different days to fish with the new setup. I fished the first day on two different piers in mandeville la. I was fishing with my dad and 6 boys between the age of 6 and 12. You can imagine how much fishing I got to do. The bite was just not there. We had shrimp soaking at all different water depths and my dad and I threw all kinds of artificial. We got not a single bite. We had a couple rods with shrimp soaking on the bottom for a couple hours. When we finally reeled them up the shrimp had not even been nibbled on. I don't think I have ever had that happen.

The next time I got to fish was on the beach of Cape San Blas, FL. It was really the first time I got to fish the new setup without watching 6 kids lol. I only had artificial to throw during the 2 hours I fished. Not even a bite. I was very impressed with the new setup even though I got skunked on both days. I can't say how the st croix handled a fish, but the casting distance was very nice and the rod and reel were balanced nicely.

I do need to figure out how to travel better with multiple rods. All my rods break down, but it is a pain trying to keep them safe as we travel. The st. croix travel rod was not a problem, but my other three rods I brought for the 3 boys were a pain to keep safe.
  • BAgnewBAgnew Posts: 105 Officer
    David

I use a Plano bazooka rod case and have traveled all over with rods. What I do is lay out the rods I need on a beach towel and carefully arrange and then roll them up in the towel. Then insert the bundle into the round rod tube. With the larger Plano case I thinks it's 5" I cantravel with 5 rods. I have even tied the rod case to the roof rack of my SUV and driven 500 miles.

Bill A