Pinfish Fly

SlamaholicSlamaholic Posts: 389 Officer
With time comes more skill. I just started Fly Tying, I had limited supplies, busted out my version of a pinfish.
Supplies

• Yak Hair Synthetic White/Sand
  • Pearl Flash
  • Whatever sharpies I could find in a drawer
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Quality Performance Apparel, Realistic Prices.
www.ReloGear.Com

Replies

• ifitswimsifitswims Posts: 176 Deckhand
    That looks great. I would fish that with total confidence. I used nothing but a pinfish fly a couple days ago and I spanked the guy I was fishing with who was using a doa shrimp and a mirrolure.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,282 Captain
    It looks a bit thick. Hard to tell what hook is under there, but it looks like you may have issues getting it to track straight. Nice fly, let us know how it does.
  • VVVVVV Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    That's going to make some fish feel real foolish!!!
  • AmuricanAmurican Posts: 168 Officer
    A baitfish fly is one of my favorite and most productive flies. Looks great for just starting out. Like ODC said try to make it a look a little more translucent on your next one. I like to spread out 1/100" flash in mine too. Keep on keeping on dude!
    Fly fishing isn't just a hobby, it's a passion.
  • SlamaholicSlamaholic Posts: 389 Officer
    Thanks for the advice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.ReloGear.Com
  • Reel AggressiveReel Aggressive Posts: 261 Officer
    That will defiantly be eaten!
  • TgrassTgrass Posts: 204 Deckhand
    I have no doubt that that fly will work, I think the fish will thin it out for you.

I personally would also tie mine with less density only because I think it would not hit the water and make a heavy splash and maybe spook a fish. I bet you could make two flies with the amount of material in that one fly. Many people talk about sparse flies for a reason.
  • SlamaholicSlamaholic Posts: 389 Officer
    I went back after tying a lot after this first fly. Reduced the material to about 30% of this photo and it swims well. Thanks for the advice and pointers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.ReloGear.Com