Home General Freshwater Fishing

Low visibility line for high-pressured fish in clear water

Can someone recommend a good light line to me that they've found works well in clear water on high-pressured fish? I have a hole that's full of fish (bream, catfish, and bass). It gets lots of pressure so the fish are very wary. I can take 2lb test with a live worm, cricket, or any other live bait on it and drop it in and not get a bite among a couple dozen big bream suspended in the water column. Then I can take the same bait off the hook and throw it in the water and they hit seconds after sinking down. I've tried fishing without a cork and without weight and that doesn't help. The only variable left for me to change is the line.

What works for you in clear water? I notice a lot of the line tangled up around the bank is red colored. Thoughts?

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,174 Moderator
    Simple. Fluorocarbon . Stuff is close to invisible in the water.
    Also , maybe a smaller hook and a minnow.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • kayak99kayak99 Posts: 80 Greenhorn
    Same as he ^ said. Put your bait on a very small hook, unweighted, no cork then toss it in. Plus, remember, if you can see these fish, they can see you. Dress for the sky or your surroundings and limit your motions.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 2,908 Captain
    Thanks for the replies. I'll try the fluorocarbon.

These fish will let you swim with them and they'll nip your skin when you're in the water.

It really opened my eyes as to how discerning fish can be when I saw the difference between how they reacted to bait that wasn't on a line compared to the same bait when it was on the line with all other variables being the same. It makes me wonder how often when fish appear to be "not biting" that the real problem is that the fish know the offered bait isn't safe. Kind of like sitting in the woods all day wondering why the deer aren't moving when in fact they are they're just avoiding you because they smell you.

It really opened my eyes as to how discerning fish can be when I saw the difference between how they reacted to bait that wasn't on a line compared to the same bait when it was on the line with all other variables being the same.

You should fish for pressured canal snapper sometime. :grin Talk about picky .
    BTW , flouro line sinks unlike mono that has a tendency to float. It will help get a bait down without weight.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 2,908 Captain
    capt louie wrote: »
    BTW , flouro line sinks unlike mono that has a tendency to float. It will help get a bait down without weight.

Thanks for the help guys, here's the fruit of your advice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiiPlYRyQOM
    Good stuff. In the old days we used to catch bait like green tree frogs or grubs from an old rotting log. After catching a fish or two we could cut small pieces from the belly for bait.