Anchor Pin - suggestions for Cape Coral, Sanibel, Matlacha area

I am looking to purchase a stake out anchor for my 17' AC flats boat. I have read a lot of posts about the Stick It and **** anchor but haven't found much specific to this area. My plan is to tie off to the bow cleat. I know they make brackets, but just looking to test the waters at this point.

Can anyone provide feedback on these brands or others? Also, what is the best length? Is 7' long enough or would 8' make more sense for this area? Do local vendors in the Cape carry these?

It looks like the **** comes with a stainless tip but the Stick It has better flex. Not sure if that makes any impact.

Any input would be appreciated.

Replies

• tagtag Posts: 8,794 Admiral
    I have the 8' Stick It. Been using it for 2 or 3 years with no issues. I have the bracket but never installed it. I use the supplied lines for tying up to the pin. I don't know your waters but around here there is a lot of mud bottom so no need for a stainless tip.

Stick It is a Florida based company. They also make a 10 footer. I'd get the longest pin I could store in my boat. I've never wished for a shorter pin but a few times more would have been better.
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Exactly!!! If you can store a 10 ft. I'd suggest getting it. If the anchor goes 18" into the bottom and the water is 3 ft. deep, and it's 2 ft. from the water to the top of your deck, you've used up 6 1/2 ft. of an 8 ft. anchor. That means you only have 18" above the deck of your boat to get your hands on. I have an 8 ft. and always wished I had bought a 10 footer.
  • Watz878Watz878 Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to pick up an 8' foot stick on Thursday. I see the value in a 10', but don't really have the room.
  • Dtfleck3985Dtfleck3985 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Search craigslist fort myers for "stick anchor" there is a kid who makes them locally with stainless steel tips; I bought mine from him for $60 and the thing works better than the Stick-It brand that I had before. But as the guy above mentioned get a 10' I got an 8 and wish it was just a little longer.
  • stoutnerstoutner Posts: 242 Deckhand
    Capt. Wayne Stoutner
    Reel Stout Sportfishing
    Lake Ontario Salmon and Trout fishing
    www.reelstout.com
    Tikitown!
    SW Florida Vacation Rental
    https://www.vrbo.com/721414
  • DemonDemon Posts: 218 Deckhand
    Make room for the 10'. I'm another one who started with an 8' & then went to a 10'. I made my own 10' by purchasing a 3/4 x 10' fiberglass rod from Grainger & then bought a tee handle from StickIt (could've used PVC parts but for a few bucks just bought the handle). Used a sander to make the tip. If the bottom is loose enough to be able to stick the pin, its soft enough that you don't need a stainless tip. Been using one for years without any tip damage to the fiberglass tip.
  • Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    New 8' Pin for $75 including shipping, they work just as good as the "name" brands.

http://www.anglersystems.com/fishstick.html