December fishing

:fishing I will finally get to come down to southwest florida and do some fishing in December, any advice on what to target at this time of the year. Have a 22 ' bay boat and a little knowledge of Pine Island Sound Been fishing in the summer with local guides but not at this time of the year. Any advice on bait or area would be very much appreciated will only get a couple of days on the water .

Replies

• the aquaholicthe aquaholic Posts: 54 Deckhand
    Im not very familiar with that area, I fish out of Venice and have been having a blast nearshore with nice sized grunts, sheepshead, lane snapper and flounder in water btwn 25-35 feet deep. I have been looking for ledges or anything interesting on the sonar then drifting or anchoring over it...no overflowing cooler full of trophy fish but nice dinner on the table! Big fish last weekend was a 22" sheepshead, everything we have been catching has been on shrimp and squid on knocker rigs with size 1 hooks, small 1/2-1/4 oz egg sinkers and 20lb flourocarbon leaders.
  • AndrewSAndrewS Posts: 158 Officer
    Im not very familiar with that area, I fish out of Venice and have been having a blast nearshore with nice sized grunts, sheepshead, lane snapper and flounder in water btwn 25-35 feet deep. I have been looking for ledges or anything interesting on the sonar then drifting or anchoring over it...no overflowing cooler full of trophy fish but nice dinner on the table! Big fish last weekend was a 22" sheepshead, everything we have been catching has been on shrimp and squid on knocker rigs with size 1 hooks, small 1/2-1/4 oz egg sinkers and 20lb flourocarbon leaders.
    That sounds pretty good. I have a question. I am interested in flounder. Do you catch enough flounder out on the gulf in 25-35 feet of water to go flounder fishing out there? Or do you catch one every now and then? I am a beach flounder fisherman in the Venice area, and do very good certain months of year. Thanks!
  • shearwater coupleshearwater couple Posts: 37 Deckhand
    alot of king mackeral and cobia around now,,,any inshore reef will be holding,,,trolling spoons on planers works great for the kings
  • the aquaholicthe aquaholic Posts: 54 Deckhand
    As for the flounder we usually catch a few every trip out but I'm not targeting them specifically