Crystal River more creek exploring found some rat reds 12-20

Today is day 3 in the new boat, this time I took Megan without Jake. Amazing how much more speed and comfort there was! Got about a 3mph increase and seemed to draft a little shallower too. Explored a new creek found some rat reds, 1 keeper all on shrimp on the bottom. Had a boat next to us having similar results with some trout on jigs. I didn't have any jigs and didn't catch any trout on the bottom. Still had a fun time finally finding some reds in a creek. The bugs were absolutely horrible there was no wind all day, couldn't take it anymore and we left early. Stopped 1 more time on the way back and caught 1 small red. Burned less than 1 gallon of gas for the day. Glad we were able to find some fish we actually had to work for that weren't in the river :grin

Go Pro Video

http://youtu.be/bdELBWkqv0o

Replies

• FELLOW-SHIPFELLOW-SHIP Posts: 213 Deckhand
    On calm days Don't go without it.
  • Luv2YakLuv2Yak Posts: 944 Officer
    Kinda sorta seems to me that the creek fishing hasn't yet completed transitioned to "winter"...last 2 trips (12/12 McCormick Creek 12/19 Pine Log Creek) mud minnows have gotten scarce, bigger reds have already moved out of the creeks but the bigger trout haven't yet moved into the deeper holes in the creeks.

Need lower air and water temps longer and more consistent.
  • leel33mlleel33ml Posts: 143 Officer
    Nice I like the small boat. I recently bought a 15 ft flats skiff. Working on buying an engine today so I can get out there. I bet that boat would be good to pole back in the skinny water.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,531 Captain
    :thumbsup
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • anglerbros 7286anglerbros 7286 Crystal RiverPosts: 621 Officer
    leel33ml wrote: »
    Nice I like the small boat. I recently bought a 15 ft flats skiff. Working on buying an engine today so I can get out there. I bet that boat would be good to pole back in the skinny water.

I've poled it around a little bit but it's way to tippy to make it a good poling boat. I just bought a trolling motor yesterday, well it's "my Christmas present" with 40lb thrust should really get that 300lb skiff moving lol I've read somewhere someone mounted 2 10ft peices of PVC pipe on the sides just above the water line empty so when people get in it makes an incredible difference in stability. I think it's actually a great idea if when the boat is on a plane they are out of the water. I think putting a couple rings around the boat and seal the small holes so the PVC bend a little so it's nice and tight and won't move. Anybody else think it's a good idea?
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,679 Moderator
    Where was Jake , at State Farm ? :grin He's gonna see the performance report you know..
    "You'll get your weather"
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,311 Admiral
    I know that creek... lol
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • FishesmanFishesman Posts: 414 Deckhand
    What do you mean no jigs? Is it possible to go fishing and not have a jig on board?
  • anglerbros 7286anglerbros 7286 Crystal RiverPosts: 621 Officer
    Fishesman wrote: »
    What do you mean no jigs? Is it possible to go fishing and not have a jig on board?

I have a bunch of lures and hooks for shrimp wasn't planning on using jigs. I usually only use jigs for snook in the river so I barely ever use them
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice vid!
  • Cobia191Cobia191 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    :huh