"Deep Fried Mango Snapper Strips" New but Excellent Choice.

Well, I ended up with two mango snappers that were a little to large for my in kitchen deep fryer.
003_zps033b7d79.jpg
I really love deep fried Cuban favored snapper , but it has always been the whole fish. I wasn't going to be able to get these snappers in my fryer. So, I decided to head in a different direction. I filleted the snappers. I scored then the same way.
005_zpsccca2157.jpg
I then let them soak in fresh squeezed lime juice for one hour.
I rubbed Cuban Dry Mojo seasoning into the scores along with cummin powder.
This was after removing them from the lime soak.
006_zps16f49f5f.jpg
I dusted them with flour.
008_zps510f4776.jpg
I put them in my deep fryer for 5 minutes at 375 degrees.
Serve them with black beans and rice(Gail makes the best black beans and rice this side of Miami).
011_zps46fb730f.jpg
This is a new twist to an old dish for us, but I can say that from the reviews I received from our guest and Gail(She is a hard **** on good or bad) that this is a keeper on snapper dishes!! My own views. This was an excellent way to enjoy mango snappers in the Cuban deep fryed tradition. In fact you don't have to worry about the bones, you just eat the snapper and enjoy all the favor that goes along with this excellent dish.
013_zps577c06a7.jpg
Hope you enjoyed the dish, I know we did!!
Ruff Ones
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Man, that looks good enough to eat...:grin
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Teacher, oh teacher, why do you insist on calling these fish "Mango" snapper? Is it that hard to say "mangrove"? Or Doc Stressor might say Lutjanus griseus....... Whatever they look good.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,705 Captain
    So cutting them down a little, like we talked, was the way to go.

Someday I'll get to taste one of those "mangrove snappers" y'all cook and compare my black bean recipe with Gail's.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,957 Captain
    Fishin Rod wrote: »
    Teacher, oh teacher, why do you insist on calling these fish "Mango" snapper? Is it that hard to say "mangrove"? Or Doc Stressor might say Lutjanus griseus....... Whatever they look good.

Now you did it. The teacher comes out. Mangrove snapper,Gray snapper, Gray Silk, mangrove parquet, mango parquet, parquet, black parquet, black snapper, lawyer fish, silk, caballerote and finally(but won't find me calling them this) Lutjanus griseus. Wow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,935 Moderator
    Awesome , bet that technique would lend itself to other species as well.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,449 Captain
    Man, that looks great!

Where do you get dry Mojo rub? I'd like to try that.

We use Goya Mojo marinade on all sorts of things. It has sour orange and cummin already in it. We marinate for an hour in the sauce without adding lime. Just had grilled salmon made that way the other day. Gotta try your Cuban fried snapper after my digestive system recovers from the holidays.
    Doc, I think we found that dry rub in Publix. Goya may make it.
    Louie, we have tried it with grunts, Hog snapper, but it always seems to taste better with mangos.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,705 Captain
    Ruff One wrote: »
    Doc, I think we found that dry rub in Publix. Goya may make it.

Yep...what he said ^^^. :) Sazon Goya (without annato) also makes my black beans especially good...don't tell Gail though.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,180 AG
    Looks durn good.

Bet Americana Grocery in Lecanto has it.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Up here in the Panhandle if they're small enough to cook whole they're Mangroves, but if they're too big for that & have to be filleted they're Black Snapper... Much better than those **** Red Snapper everybody (including me) whines about...
    I gotta try that recipe... I'm surprised soaking them that long on Lime Juice doesn't 'cook' them (or does it?)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    Yes, it does cook them some. I believe that the lime soak, and them the deep fry has a lot to do with the favor.
    Of course the mojo kicks in to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FishesmanFishesman Posts: 417 Deckhand
    It's 8:30am as I read this and I'm now officially ready for lunch. Looks great!
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,824 Captain
    After living in S.E. Fla. for almost 30 years and eating my share of Cuban fried snappers I must say> Looks like You have a winner on yer hands there Mr. Rough!!! As for Black beanz> I think if I had to pick one side dish for fish it would be them handz down!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!