Help naming a female yellow Labrador

I realize this is random but I'm trying to come up with a name for a yellow female Labrador puppy. I want it to have something to do with fish/fishing or the Florida Keys. Got any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 851 Officer
    Nautica.

I caught a ration of hell from my daughter because I did not name my new Lab that. I went with Brizo, which was the Greek Goddess was the protector of mariners and fisherman.
  • TavernierGuyTavernierGuy Posts: 917 Officer
    I like Nautica...Congrats on the new pup! Awesome dogs
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,730 Captain
    Nautica could refer to anyplace with water. Here are a few Keys' specific suggestions. I know the members here can come up with more:

Morada
    Sprigger
    Largo
    Penne (kamp)
    Mallory (Square)
    Cheeca
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,130 AG
    Mahi
    Snapper
    Scamp (grouper)
    Yellowtail (yellow lab + a tail, get it?)

Names you might not want to consider would be:
    Grunt
    Chum
    Ballyhoo
    Weedline
    HungUp

Good luck and let us know!
  • gtpvettegtpvette Posts: 181 Officer
    Here's a thought

Lorelei (aka Loreley) is legendary German mermaid, who was created by Clemens Brentano in 1801.

The story went like that: A beautiful maiden named Lorelei who waited for her lover on a rock at the narrowest and shallowest point of the Rhine River. He never returned, so she jumped off the rock to her death. The legend is that her spirit remains at the rock, seeking revenge against her unfaithful lover. She sits on the rock, now named for her, combing her long hair and singing softly. Sailors are so enchanted by her beauty that they crash their ships into the rock or run aground in the shallow water.

Good luck with the pup,, Labs are the best

My knuckleheads

maxzeus.jpg
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fred

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • no hoo for youno hoo for you Posts: 103 Deckhand
    Stain.

Then when you yell for it " Come Stain!"
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,329 Captain
    noap, clorox, or corndawg
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • btrifebtrife Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thanks everyone - lot of good suggestions (and one or two we'll pass on).
  • RoyalflushRoyalflush Posts: 535 Officer
    Bahia

Marquesas

Boca Chita

Or lassie ? Lol
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    I like Sprigger a lot, good choice Rich. Our yellow lab is named Bimini.
  • flbluerunnerflbluerunner Posts: 703 Officer
    Jazz,
    My chocolate was named Tyson's All that Jazz.
    Miss her a ton.
    John :USA
    2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
    2001 23 Parker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    "Tequesta" use all or part they were the original Native American inhabitants of the Florida keys
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,102 Officer
    gtpvette wrote: »
    Here's a thought

Lorelei (aka Loreley) is legendary German mermaid, who was created by Clemens Brentano in 1801.

The story went like that: A beautiful maiden named Lorelei who waited for her lover on a rock at the narrowest and shallowest point of the Rhine River. He never returned, so she jumped off the rock to her death. The legend is that her spirit remains at the rock, seeking revenge against her unfaithful lover. She sits on the rock, now named for her, combing her long hair and singing softly. Sailors are so enchanted by her beauty that they crash their ships into the rock or run aground in the shallow water.

Good luck with the pup,, Labs are the best

My knuckleheads

maxzeus.jpg

Fred,

What breed is your yellow male?
  • Lu 1967Lu 1967 Posts: 285 Deckhand
    Tipsy. Another twist on Keys life.
  • deepcdiverdeepcdiver Posts: 241 Officer
    CORAL
    SCUBA DOO
    KEYLIME........ONE WORD SPOKEN QUICKLY...TRULY UNIQUE TO THE KEYS
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,329 Captain
    Sir Woofalot, Sir Charles McWoof., Bitey, Lazor, fil-let
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
    Looking at Piner's post...I like Fillet, pronounced "Filly." Easy to say, simple for her to learn ( sounds like a single syllable, which is best for obedience), and ties in nautical/fishing with female...

Please let us know what name you choose; along with photos.
  • gtpvettegtpvette Posts: 181 Officer
    Fred,

What breed is your yellow male?

He's a lab but dont know to be honest,,, both are rescues. I dont think he was from a kennel more like a back yard breeder. He's a dudley (pink nose , eyes and paws) and his ears lay funny. That said,, he has the biggest heart and is a great boy!
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fred

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Native FloridianNative Floridian Posts: 702 Officer
    My last one was named Destin, my original hometown.
    Conch, Vaca, Isla, Marina, skiff, Reef????
    P8260478.jpgPB300094-1.jpg
  • kempsharkkempshark Posts: 125 Deckhand
    Thought of Vaca, but I really prefer Windley. Geiger isn't half bad either. Am sure there are many, many other choices......need to just sit down with a chart of the Keys.....and also think about your favorite places down there past or present.
    Nah.....I'll eat Hellmann's. :wink
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    gtpvette wrote: »
    He's a lab but dont know to be honest,,, both are rescues. I dont think he was from a kennel more like a back yard breeder. He's a dudley (pink nose , eyes and paws) and his ears lay funny. That said,, he has the biggest heart and is a great boy!

The only thing (to me) NOT purebred about your dog, are his yellow eyes...could be some Weimaraner in there. That may also be why his ears lay differently. The pink nose is a hold-over trait from the golden retrievers, from which the breed was developed. Goldens' noses start to turn pink after about 3-4 years old....at least all ours did and they were all purebreds.

Oh, BTW.....my female yellow lab's name was "Journi".....don't remember why, but there was a reason at the time. Can't wait to get another.....as soon as I sell this house in Mexico.
    .......Rick