Another good day at Suwannee 12/21

Tide was pretty low in the morning so we got a late start and made it to the water around 10 to find that there was plenty of water already and it was coming in fast. We fished a new creek hoping to explore and picked away at the reds for a few minutes, finding a few on just about every bar or rocky point. The tide came in fast so we pushed to the outside bars and edges to look for bigger fish but didn't really find them, so we went back to the creeks and found the reds again. This time we'd position ourselves a little better and find schooled up mid slot reds and pull several out of each spot, they seemed to be preferring deeper rocky cuts. We also caught tons of schooly trout but the bigger trout were holding in the deeper points and deep edges of bars pretty close to where one might look for redfish, but there were only a few solid good fish in each of those spots. I hooked a very solid red on a mirrodine that I fought for several minutes before it shook the hook. I've never had one fight quite as hard, in fact I never even got him close enough to the boat to even see him. Everytime I'd fight him close he'd take a long 20 yard run and the fight would start over, it was incredible. I was bummed I'd lost him, but also stoked to have hooked what was obviously a really big red on pretty light tackle. Anyway we caught lots of fish but nothing trophy worthy so I didn't take many pics except this one because I thought it was just a pretty looking fish! As far as baits they seemed to solidly prefer Adam's gulp shrimp on a jighead being bounced on the bottom slowly. He outfished us by a pretty good margin. I caught some on just about everything I threw as well. I used gold spoons, mirrodines, flukes, paddletails.. whatever I felt like using really.

NidUpr9.jpg

Replies

• GatoRellaGatoRella Officer Posts: 521 Officer
    Great report Jim man I need to get my trailer fixed. Its killing me to miss this bite!!

Last time in had a red fight like you described he was 40+inches, he's still out there!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jim311Jim311 Captain Posts: 4,933 Captain
    We need to get together to fish man! The bite is hot right now and I'm betting your usual haunts will produce if you can get out there. Water is so crystal clear it's amazing. Although this rain might put a stop to that. It's forced me to fish a little differently, the fish are super spooky.
  • PONCEPONCE Officer Posts: 5,943 Officer
  • RedbonzRedbonz Captain Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Very nice guys...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 9,991 Moderator
    Solid trip.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • navigator2navigator2 AG Posts: 22,468 AG
    Nice. Fished that general area in a 12 mile radius last week for 4 days. There are no fish. :wink

Prior to Sunday weather was awesome. Water was very cold in the creeks, high 50s. Left Sunday morning to make the long trek home, weather was pretty crappy with the rain front that had arrived.

Fished with friends/relatives a couple of times, fished alone Saturday. There were tons of people down fishing so I picked the most treacherous creek Saturday I could think of to "thin" possible boat traffic. Was nice, only saw two airboats and not one other outboard other than mine and those guys left as soon as I pulled back in the creek. Fished the incoming tide and blew through 50 live shrimp and then switched to a gulp and jighead. Probably caught 40 reds and drum on the shrimp then another 25 on the gulp before the tide flooded and quit. All that and only 1 keeper red and a couple of drum.

Pic from Friday with several friends, terrible picture but smallest was 19 inches.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The creeks seem to be holding (generally) smaller fish, but there were plenty of mid and upper slot fish mixed in with them. I found shrimp to be kind of a waste of time and money as the reds were eating about anything you put in front of them as long as it was presented slowly and you hadn't spooked them to begin with in your approach of them. I noticed a lot more people on the water this weekend, I think in part due to the reports from Gary at Gary's Tackle Box and maybe also due to the fact that over a thousand people have viewed my fishing reports over the last three weeks of good fishing. I get the feeling this is why most guys never post reports, they like to keep their fishin' holes a secret ;)
    I don't mind using artificials but I am a meat fisherman. There are some nice black drum and sheepshead on the menu as well. That mixed in with reds makes one great New England fish chowder. Girl friend made a huge batch a couple of weeks ago, we freeze what we don't eat in a couple of days in small containers and is an awesome instant meal heated up in the microwave. Got another batch cooking up this weekend. Also caught some monster freshwater blue cats for the hot grease as well. I recently discovered no need to break out pliers or skinners, just use an electric knife and fillet and skin just like any other fish after you leave them in ice a day or so. Easy cleaning.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Never eaten any freshwater cats since I don't fish with bait but I do like eating fried catfish!
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Officer Posts: 658 Officer
    :thumbsup

I tried taking my big ol' fiberglasses 22' pathfinder up Jack's creek on Saturday... we didnt find a single thing. I got about 1/2 way up the creek (as far as I dare), and saw one small rat, one larger fish (swear it looked like a snook), and that was it! For four hours....

Then we hit the flats for 30m and caught a couple of keepers and a couple of shorts. So, all that work and we were in the wrong place!
    One good thing about the clear water is that if you can't see them you know they aren't there and you need to look somewhere else!
    Jim311 wrote: »
    One good thing about the clear water is that if you can't see them you know they aren't there and you need to look somewhere else!

That is very true. Get away from the river and the water looks like Ozello. First creek I fished way north on Thursday was crystal clear and void of any fish. I didn't even see a mullet there. I got out of there in a hurry and went hunting. I probably logged 30 miles total fishing that particular day but ended up getting on them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]