Home General Fishing

What's a good older big game combo?

CarloCarlo Posts: 345 Deckhand
I was thinking of putting something together that might get used once or twice a year. I fish mostly inshore but go to the keys once a year (working on upping that number ) and last time we pulled a goliath grouper out of the Bahia Honda. Luckily my one friend was there with a massive conventional outfit from god-knows-when. However, there's no guarantee he will present for every trip.

So anyway, what do you think I could put together that will stand up to that kind of pressure?

Replies

• minowjoeminowjoe Posts: 717 Officer
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    Too broad a question..

Are you going to target massive Goliaths? Troll? bottom drop in less than 100 ft?

You can buy an old Penn Senator very cheap....a basic winch.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    A Senator was also my first thought.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Daiwa Sealine 910 Rockcod Special on eBay for well <$100
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • CarloCarlo Posts: 345 Deckhand
    Penn Senator seems to be the simplest solution. A 14/0 us huge. 9/0 looks sufficient
  • dcrdcr Posts: 365 Deckhand
    What rod would you put this on?
  • minowjoeminowjoe Posts: 717 Officer
    A high quality rod is gonna be really important so dont cheap out. Personally i get a custom built rod made.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,511 Captain
    I have a custom Calstar 6455 XXH rod for sale cheap if you're interested. It's a 5 1/2' stand up rod with all Aftco roller guides and tip top, the heavy Varmac reel seat and a gimbal butt. I used to have it paired with a Penn International 50 2 speed reel but it would go great with a 114 Senator. The rod is rated for 50-120 lb line but I used to use 80 mono. $85. PM if interested.
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    all I needed to read was this> I was thinking of putting something together that might get used once or twice a year.....LOL...
    go big or go home that it... If you want to spend the $$$$$$$ you can put something together... but if you want something to throw
    in the corner.... than look for something cheap and save yourself a lot of trouble...... because when people start talking "Custom" its time
    to call it a day..... LOL
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • CarloCarlo Posts: 345 Deckhand
    I don't understand what's so funny
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,105 Officer
    You can get plenty of combo's for use once or twice a year from one of the big box stores. A Penn 114 paired with a Penn rod would be fine and would be relatively inexpensive. I agree that going custom is way to expensive for what you want.
    Xaf wrote: »
    You can get plenty of combo's for use once or twice a year from one of the big box stores. A Penn 114 paired with a Penn rod would be fine and would be relatively inexpensive. I agree that going custom is way to expensive for what you want.

Big box stores won't have anything close to a 9/0....... which is what Carlo said may be more towards what he is looking for.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Carlo wrote: »
    I don't understand what's so funny

Not sure either..

Regardless, Scour craigs list and check yard and estate sales etc.....you said it is for a keys trip so you probably have enough time to find something older but decent and reasonable for that one "big cannon" you are looking for.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • b-bliggityb-bliggity Posts: 110 Officer
    I fish down there regularly, and will assume that you're not going to be fishing for goliath groupers as much as muttons, yellowtails, dolphin, wahoo, tuna, sailfish, etc... Honestly, find someone selling some used TLD25's or 8500 Baitrunners on craigslist, they are the most versatile reels I have...it's almost doesn't matter what rod you have them on as long as it's not a walmart special...haha! I have 4 Tiagra 80's, 4-50w's, 4-30w's, Krystal electric reels, and all type of other gear...yet, my TLD25's and 8500 baitrunners see the most action in the states. In the Bahamas, that's another story...
    2005 Bluewater 2850 T/250 Zukes (current) (Jupiter/Marathon)
    2006 Yellowfin 31 T/300(2013) Zukes (current) (Guana Cay, Abaco)
    2011 Gheenoe LT25 20 Yammy 4S (current) (Everywhere)