Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Doing it lefty...

And not pulling my weenus either.:grin

Well, after breaking my arm back on the 20th....and other than a couple ultra light duty duck hunts (yes, I seem to be able to kill ducks even with a broken arm).....I had to get out today even if I wind up not really being able to fish. I planned to buy some shrimp but the tackle store was out....Looks like lures it is.:fishing
I switched one of my spinning reels over to a lefty retriever and set out. Everything is way more difficult from launching to driving and then on to casting and retrieving. Saw a few trout that would not eat. Arm was getting very sore just using my fingers to turn the reel handle and I was only casting about 25% of what I normally would only throwing to high percentage places.
Was a little discouraged but finally get a thump....and it is game on! If you ever think you need to up the challenge level in your fishing....try going opposite of your normal....a real test! Then, netting your fish...Not likely! Had to do a lift and hope for the best.
So, here he is.....

IMG_20141130_083458_zpsixlecga0.jpg

Put the cast in there so some joker doesn't say..." That's any one of hundreds of Reds you caught this year " :grin

He was bigger than the photo shows...cast is right there at the lens.

Arm throbbing good after that so I went for a boat ride to look around some...I hit a little point and got this....

IMG_20141130_090246_zpsp7urfcr2.jpg

So....If some old broke armed codger can do it...what's your excuse? :grin
There are many roads to travel
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you

Replies

• PoppopPoppop Posts: 181 Deckhand
    I had the same problem about 20 years ago but I was off work and the boat was calling me. A little tough driving a stick but still possible. Good luck, and be careful.

Poppop
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 2,047 Captain
    Nice work with one arm
    everything must of been 10x as hard
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• SouthJettySouthJetty Posts: 588 Officer
    No snook?....lol
    You shoulda been here yesterday.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,738 AG
    SouthJetty wrote: »
    No snook?....lol

Though about running down south to try and find a little fella...but my arm was really throbbing and didn't think I had many retrieves left in it.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    AOKRVs wrote: »
    Nice work with one arm
    everything must of been 10x as hard

Monty, the only thing that wasn't....was drinking my coffee...I do that lefty.:grin
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Final PointFinal Point Posts: 459 Deckhand
    good job Joe. I've used a rod to cast to a lit up dolphin earlier this year but my previous days client had switched the handle and I didn't realize it until I was already baited and ready to go. I made the pitch and then fought the fish backwards. It was tough. I actually reeled backwards twice which loosened the handle. Landed the fish but it wasn't textbook my any means...lol
    Final Point Charters
    Specializing in Offshore/Nearshore/Backcountry trips in the Lower Keys
    Come fish the World Famous Lower Keys and see what all the hype is about!
    Check out our website for rates and booking information.
    772-584-1239
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Gotta drink your milk. Old people need more calcium.

SouthJetty wrote: »
    No snook?....lol

Nope. You done caught 'em all.
    Gotta drink your milk. Old people need more calcium.

Nope. You done caught 'em all.

LOL!....Hard to believe I went almost 59 years falling and bouncing off of stuff.....till now.

At least in wasn't a broken hip....old people rarely survive that one. :grin

I did not go today...some rain around and the Dr. was very serious about " Don't get that wet under any circumstance".....Maybe this new cast material melts with water?
    I think I'll buy bait and try for a "lefty slam" tomorrow......
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    good job Joe. I've used a rod to cast to a lit up dolphin earlier this year but my previous days client had switched the handle and I didn't realize it until I was already baited and ready to go. I made the pitch and then fought the fish backwards. It was tough. I actually reeled backwards twice which loosened the handle. Landed the fish but it wasn't textbook my any means...lol

Thanks Ryan.... It sure was an eye opener.

It has given me a better understanding and deeper respect for those who MUST push through a permanent disability to enjoy a sport.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • bighardeybighardey Posts: 418 Deckhand
    what the hell did you do to your arm? I tried fishing with the opposite hand before, it's not easy and darn near impossible after having too many beers to boot! Nice fish as usual too by the way!!!
  • seadog517seadog517 Posts: 190 Deckhand
    Hello Joe that sucks how long before the cast comes off.
    If anyone could figure out how to get out fishing with a broken arm it's you.. Hope he has the shrimp for you tomorrow,could not imagine casting with that thing on.
    Catch them up. Frank
    seadog517 wrote: »
    Hello Joe that sucks how long before the cast comes off.
    If anyone could figure out how to get out fishing with a broken arm it's you.. Hope he has the shrimp for you tomorrow,could not imagine casting with that thing on.
    Catch them up. Frank

Apparently, nowadays they like to keep the cast period short and get you rehab therapy to keep from having loss of range of movement. If all goes well just 2-3 weeks...then removable splint with therapy.

And Yeah Frank...If that one morning in the skiff didn't let you figure it out...I'm a hardhead dutchman! Everything short of death is just something that needs a "work around" :grin

Casting lefty with a right hand retrieve was harder than I thought....accuracy is not too good but my "silver lining" is that when this is over I hope to be an ambidexterus fisherman. :)
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    bighardey wrote: »
    what the hell did you do to your arm?

Broke the radius bone near the wrist.....

As they say..." If you're gonna be dumb...you gotta be tough " :grin
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • bigoldredfishbigoldredfish Posts: 486 Deckhand
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    the Dr. was very serious about " Don't get that wet under any circumstance".....

But how will you wash the boat? :huh
    But how will you wash the boat? :huh

:rotflmao.........................Well played Jason!
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • tryacctryacc Posts: 339 Deckhand
    I think next time you need to put on a blind fold...just switching hands is clearly not challenging you! :wink

Nice work! :hail
    tryacc wrote: »
    I think next time you need to put on a blind fold...just switching hands is clearly not challenging you! :wink

Nice work! :hail

If you saw my left handed casting....you would know that no blindfold is needed......I can barely hit the water. :grin
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled