Home General Fishing

What kind of 2 stroke oil do you use?

Muskee50Muskee50 Posts: 290 Deckhand
I just purchased a used 2003 boat with a Yamaha 200 HP HPDI motor. I was looking at different types of 2 stroke oils and found a very wide range of prices, anywhere from $21 per gallon to $40+ and higher per gallon. My question is what do most boaters use for oil and where is the best place to buy it? So far Walmart's $27 per gallon of Quicksilver oil seems to be the logical choice but they also sell Penzoil and Walmart's own brand for even less. Thanks for any advise a head of time.

Muskee50

Replies

• tagtag Posts: 8,920 Admiral
    I've used Penzoil for about 15 years in my Yammie 40 with no issues.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,434 Captain
    Pennzoil or Valvoline.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    Muskee50 wrote: »
    I just purchased a used 2003 boat with a Yamaha 200 HP HPDI motor.

My question is what do most boaters use for oil and where is the best place to buy it?

My '01 200hpdi has 1000+ hours and doing fine. I buy bulk Yamalube at the dealer, bring my own container for refill.
  • Muskee50Muskee50 Posts: 290 Deckhand
    bonephish,

Just curious, what does the dealer charge for bulk Yamalube?
  • JuicebucketJuicebucket Posts: 139 Officer
    For my Yamaha I use West Marines 2-stroke oil. Play it right and you can buy enough during their BOGO sales to supply yourself for a year at $29/gal. For my Optimax I run Quicksilver DFI at $42 a gallon!!!! FML!!! but I guess a few bucs more every couple month can save a massive repair in the long run.
    Go home when the fishings done.
    Commercial fish murderer.
  • chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 1,124 Officer
    bonephish wrote: »
    My '01 200hpdi has 1000+ hours and doing fine. I buy bulk Yamalube at the dealer, bring my own container for refill.

^^this. Locally in Jax we have Discount Boathouse. Surely Orlando will have something similar.
    National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
  • Itch-2-FishItch-2-Fish Vero Beach, FLPosts: 425 Deckhand
    I use Evinrude XD100 full synthethic for my 2001 Evinrude Ficht. Use your mfg's product. I don't suggest saving a few bucks on a lower grade of oil. An outboard is an expensive investment. Skimp on its maintenance and you'll pay for it on the other end.
    German Shepherd Dogs rule! Adopt one today.
  • guitar pickerguitar picker Posts: 110 Officer
    I run Mystic at $14.95 in the past I used quick silver then penzoil blended. The penzoil smoked less but other than that no difference.
  • nole76nole76 Posts: 804 Officer
    I have an '06 200 HPDI. When the motor was new, I used nothing but yamalube. Fouled plugs every 50 hours or so. I started using Penzoil semi-synthetic and solved the fouling issue. Less smoke also. I am in the 600 hour range now with no significant issues.
  • Pat LPat L Posts: 440 Officer
    I'm kind of loyal to Yamalube, but atleast stick to a name brand oil and dont keep changing brands. Ive seen too many issues when people run whatever oil they can find and after awhile they get a sludge build up in their oil tank. I was never a fan a Penzoil but I know plenty of people running it in HPDIs and have great results from it.
  • JoeGiulJoeGiul Posts: 453 Deckhand
    xd-100
    Joe G.
    Lighthouse Point
    nole76 wrote: »
    I have an '06 200 HPDI. When the motor was new, I used nothing but yamalube. Fouled plugs every 50 hours or so. I started using Penzoil semi-synthetic and solved the fouling issue. Less smoke also. I am in the 600 hour range now with significant issues.

I will bet you that your "significant issues" are fuel-related:

1) Learn how to service your motor's VST filter. And change all the filter elements every 200 hours.

2) Don't run ethanol gas.
    Muskee50 wrote: »
    bonephish,

Just curious, what does the dealer charge for bulk Yamalube?

I think last time I got some it was $20.00/gal.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    I run Quicksilver Premium in my Optimax. It's fairly well documented that a conventional oil will grenade these engines... so for me the extra $100 or so a year for synthetic oil is good insurance against it.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,289 Officer
    Question: Will the price drop of a barrel of crude oil EVER effect the price of 2 stroke oil. I'm afraid I already know the answer to this.
  • PHOTOPHOTO Posts: 145 Officer
    Pennzoil Premium Plus synthetic blend. $15.99 a gallon at the Home Depot in Marathon. Can't beat it.
  • ragincajun92ragincajun92 Kingsland GaPosts: 459 Deckhand
    quicksilver prem plus
    My Fishing Videos and Reviews  https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger 
    Thanks for watching,liking and subscribing!
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    The difference in oils is the additive package put in them.

Oil is very important to longevity. I have a 4 stroke and it is equally important with them.

I would pick a premium synthetic oil and stay with that. You could become an associate distributer of AMSOIL and get the discount while running an ultra premium oil.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    I try to use Johnson oil in Johnson engines. I try to use Yamaha oil in Yamaha engines. I use Valvolene or Peak when I get caught short. All have worked well for me.

I don't mix 2 different brands any more than I have to. If I need to change over brands for some temporary reason, I run the old oil just about out dry, then make the change.

The synthetic oils seem to smoke a little more, but probably lubricate better.

Always use TCW3 grade oil in 2-stroke outboards. Do not use 2-stroke oil that is made for air-cooled engines, like chainsaws. The air cooled stuff is formulated for a different engine temperature range.

Eric's Outboard usually has good bulk prices on Yamaha oil.
  • nole76nole76 Posts: 804 Officer
    bonephish wrote: »
    I will bet you that your "significant issues" are fuel-related:

1) Learn how to service your motor's VST filter. And change all the filter elements every 200 hours.

2) Don't run ethanol gas.

Just looked at this thread again and amended my original post...I meant to write NO significant issues.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    JIMinPB wrote: »

The synthetic oils seem to smoke a little more, but probably lubricate better.

Synthetic oil is far superior to "dinosaur oil"....notice how it is used in all racing applications where temps and stress is high.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you