Home General Fishing

Fuel stabilizers do you use them?

Muskee50Muskee50 Posts: 290 Deckhand
Just wondering how many boaters use fuel stabilizers? If you use them, how often, every fill up or only when storing the boat or not using it for an extended amount of time? Thanks.

Muskee50

Replies

• linesider 159linesider 159 Posts: 828 Officer
    Every fillup marine stabil. No fuel problems. I run my boats a lot too. Helps keep things clean and I know I won't have problems.

Boats are so expensive paying 20$ for the big marine stabil at walmart that last a few months is just too simple
    2016 Sterling 220XS (SOLD), see build thread here: Here
    2005 Lake and Bay Backwater (SOLD)
    Current Boats: 2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,054 AG
    I do not.....but I run my boat way more than most do. If I knew my boat would sit for 30 days...I would.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    Every fillup marine stabil.

:signs Marine Stabil helps with condensation along with the water separators and filter elements.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,517 Captain
    I use Seafoam in the gas when I remember which is probably every 3 or 4 tanks.
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    The ethanol already in virtually all gas pretty much takes care of any condensation.
    bonephish wrote: »
    Marine Stabil helps with condensation along with the water separators and filter elements.
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain
    The ethanol already in virtually all gas pretty much takes care of any condensation.

:huh
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,782 Moderator
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer

But the ethanol in gas sure screws up an outboard motor. I have a lot less issues with my 200hpdi now running only straight 87 octane gas. There are several gas stations here that sell only non-ethanol gas. Sorry but there are fewer of these gas stops in Florida.:cry

Correct....

But it will "phase separate" if left sitting a month or more...hence why I would use some fuel treatment if I knew it would sit 30 days or more.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Phase Separation seems to have more to do with the amount of water than the time gasohol sits. If too much water gets into gasohol it will Phase Separate right then & there.

Here's test results using Eastwood gas treatments:

"E10 with no additives underwent phase separation with the addition of 0.30 ml water. In contrast, addition of either the Fuel Protection or Fuel Stabilization formulas delayed phase separation until the addition of 0.50 and 0.49 ml of water, respectively. Finally, the addition of both the Fuel Protection and Fuel Stabilization formulas to 50 ml E10 delayed phase separation until 0.69 ml water was added."

https://www.historicvehicle.org/News/Articles/All-Articles/2011/10/31/Prevention-Gasohol-Fuel-Additives

Using both additives enabled gasohol to hold nearly twice the water. Certainly an improvement, but definitely not a cure.
  • linesider 159linesider 159 Posts: 828 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Correct....

But it will "phase separate" if left sitting a month or more...hence why I would use some fuel treatment if I knew it would sit 30 days or more.

I would burn through plenty of gas and still used marine stabil. Gave me that warm and fuzzy feeling. Haha

One thing before a little more extended storage is use stabilizer but also I fill 89 octane to make sure it won't go before 87 after stirage.
    2016 Sterling 220XS (SOLD), see build thread here: Here
    2005 Lake and Bay Backwater (SOLD)
    Current Boats: 2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
    Since the very nature of ethanol will attract water....and most fuel systems(tanks) are not kept perpetually topped off...you will be "making" water through condensation etc...so sitting will lead to phase separation. And as I said, If I knew I would not run for 30 days I would add stabilizer.

As I said...spend money on whatever you like....I run hundreds of gallons of fuel through a good system every season...and have for many years with no fuel problems ever......My RACOR gives me that warm fuzzy feeling.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,962 Captain
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    As I said...spend money on whatever you like....I run hundreds of gallons of fuel through a good system every season...and have for many years with no fuel problems ever......My RACOR gives me that warm fuzzy feeling.

I agree...... Also If you have a more recent motor equipped with ethanol resistant components .....you're
    good to go ........An occasional shot of fuel stabilizer will help if your engine sits between voyages.

A lot of hype for nothing ................
  • Grey BeardGrey Beard Posts: 102 Deckhand
    My 1995 Yamaha 2 stroke was a very hard start. It would turn over well but if the batteries were not at peak it would not pop. I ordered carb kits but before I could get them installed a friend who used to own a new car dealership suggested I try a product he uses, F2-21. I did and walah, it was like a miracle as my engine began starting like my car, first crank. When I tried to find more F2-21t I found the manufacturer, H2Oil in CA. Almost all of this stuff is sold in Japan and India and the only outlet in the USA is Cosway sold as their house brand.

I don’t add this all the time but a couple of tanks full a season for trolling salmon on Lake MI, May-Nov. It is expensive per oz but when you figure the cost per gallon treated as compared to Seafoam, it’s less expensive. For the long winter nap I top off my tank and treat with Marine Stabil.

http://www.cosway.com.my/product/carcare/automax_nanotech.htm

http://www.h2oil.com/?page_id=995

Grey Beard
    We don't have a Cosway down here that I know of.....

PS...Get some Rapture trolling flies next season.....you won't regret it!
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    No ethanol and maybe should use some stabil during the winter but I do add Techron.
  • Pat LPat L Posts: 440 Officer
    My last boat was a 21 Paramount with a 250 HPDi. It had a 72 gl fuel tank and it would sit from the end of September until about May with anything from almost full to almost empty. Sometimes the boat would be covered and sometimes it might be uncovered for months. I used nothing but 7-11 87 oct with no stabilizer and never had any fuel system issues. I worked on outboards for 33 years and believe me I know about fuel system problems and ethanol. I had customers that would try anything possible to stop water in fuel issues and still have it until they went to non ethanol fuel. Some boats and set-ups seem to be more sensitive to it than others. I just bought my latest boat, a 17 Maverick with a 2 stroke 115 Yamaha. I knew it had some carb issues when I bought it. Once I got into it I found corrosion in the carbs and very cloudy fuel in the tank. I pumped the tank dry and filled it with non-E fuel and ran the boat. The remaining water in the tank was now separated in the Racor and the fuel was now clear. The ethanol will separate with water when its sitting still but once its get bounced around it will mix and turn cloudy until its allowed to sit still again. This is when it gets through water sep filters and into the carbs or VST. Additives "MIGHT" help absorb small amounts of water but none of them will completely stop phase separation. With that being said, this is my experience and like I would tell my customers who use additives "Whatever you are doing and not having any problems, keep doing it whether its using additives or not".
    Split Shot wrote: »
    I do add Techron.

I dump one bottle in every once in a while....good stuff for cleaning fuel systems.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Pat L wrote: »
    Some boats and set-ups seem to be more sensitive to it than others..

This is definitely true.....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    When I used to leave tanks of fuel to sit for 6 or 8 months at a time, I used Sta-Bil. These days, I rotate my fuel so it seldom gets more than a month old & never gets more than 3 months old. I don't use any additives & I don't have any problems. I do drain my float bowls at the end of each day's use.

Several years ago, I ran a drag bike on straight alcohol. That taught me a few things about alcohol as a fuel. There were basically 3 issues. 1) it eats up rubber parts, unless you use the right kind of rubber. 2) If there is any rust anywhere in the fuel system, alcohol will make it blossom to beat the band. 3) Jet sizes in the carb basically needed to be doubled. This means that if you run an alcohol enriched fuel in a motor with straight carburetion, it will run lean. More modern systems with oxygen sensors & mixture feedback will self correct the mixture at the expense of reduced fuel economy.

I run regular pump gas in my boat & have no problems. My fuel system has the correct type of rubber parts for alcohol tolerance. I keep the boat inside where condensation is reduced. I inspect my tanks regularly. I have not seen any phase separation.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    High Density Polyethylene tanks over metal make a big difference.