Stradic FJ 3000 binding after rebuild

Quick question for anyone who know more about Stradics than I do.

I just did my annual break down/cleaning to my Stradics. I'm having an issue with my FJ. It's still nice and smooth but the "free spool" is much shorter now.

Here is a video to show what the problem is http://youtu.be/dKOWJzO2l2Y

Other than "take it to a reel tech" does anyone have any ideas? I'm assuming it has something to do with the shims on the drive gear shaft. I reused all the original shims but I'm thinking I might need to remove one or two of them.

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,036 Captain
    Watched enough of your vid to see that your reel isn't binding at all in the normal sense.... When you tore it down did you remove the rotor? For me that would be step number two or three (after removing the spool support (that little plate the spool sits on when it's in place), then removing the rotor nut and keeper screw that prevents the spool nut from loosening up....). With the rotor off you'll see that there's an elastic ring around the front of the gearcase. In Shimano's part system it's called a friction ring (it's function is to prevent keeps the rotor from turning when you're casting allowing the bail to snap shut.... when everything is working right you never notice it since it does nothing until you open the bail...). If you've got it out of alignment when you put your reel back together a small portion of it might be rubbing against the rotor... If that's all it is -the fix is simple and won't require any parts at all. If it's more than that you're going to need a really competent Shimano guy to sort things out since there's at least 10 different places where something in the internals might be rubbiing or binding very slightly. Me? I'd use it a bit first (go find some really big fish....) before doing much of anything as long as the reel turns smoothly in actual use...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,036 Captain
    Forgot to mention.... when it comes to stradics (and I've been running them in commercial service since around 1997...) I learned the hard way not to do anything more inside the gear case other than replace bearings, or pinion and main gears (always as a set), and maybe do a bit of cleaning then re-greasing unless something else is clearly broken. The Stradics and similar reels (Sustain, and other higher end spinners) have enough small parts and a complicated level wind system that is just asking to not be re-assembled exactly correctly. Something I suspect you're busy learning on your own. Hope this helps (aren't reels fun?).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666