Home Politics

The world needs ditch diggers... wait, no - we don't.

gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer

Replies

  • Tug Boat BobTug Boat Bob Posts: 2,573 Captain
    So we wasted all that money on "shovel ready jobs"?
    Who'd have thought.
    12.4_cavuto_stimulus_money.png
    "Great lives never go out, they go on."
    Benjamin Harrison 1833-1901
    23rd President of the United States, 1889-1893
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Jobs aren't the problem.. the value of labor is.
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    So we wasted all that money on "shovel ready jobs"?
    Who'd have thought.
    12.4_cavuto_stimulus_money.png

    Almost none that money made it to the "shovel ready" construction projects. Sadly, almost all that money was gobbled up to prop up general revenue budgets and keep government union worked employed.

    The country would have been much better off if the construction project would have been built, as infrastructure is the only government spending that throws off cash, in the form of increased GDP.

    Instead we have this. It is current as of last Sunday night. Watch it. >>>>> http://www.cbsnews.com/news/falling-apart-america-neglected-infrastructure/
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    greggl wrote: »
    Jobs aren't the problem.. the value of labor is.

    Nope its the degenerate uneducated lazy ******** who would rather protest something they know nothing about then go to work.
    That and all their lot of kids with different women who are raised to follow suit
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,112 Admiral
    Labor of limited ability and exhibiting poor reliability commands not to much......as should be the case.

    And I will point you at this.

    Thirty years ago in the timber business here in the South it would take a crew of 6-10 men on a cut, a number of them running chain saws. Today the number is 3, one in a skidder, one in a feller/buncher and one on the cutoff/loader. Chain saws, while not completely eliminated are rare.

    And guess what? And you should like this!!!

    The accident rate for loggers here in the South has gone down.

    So we have higher production with fewer workers in a safer environment. So where is the problem?
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,876 Captain
    bswiv wrote: »
    So where is the problem?

    The problem is that now instead of 10 men stopping by the seafood market with money in their pocket to purchase something for dinner on their way home, there are only 3.

    But I know, you probably think too much gov't regulation or taxes, or the price you gotta pay to get good oysters, are the reason your sales have dropped.:rotflmao
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Technology is destroying jobs faster than it is creating them.
  • Team SabatageTeam Sabatage USA, USA, USAPosts: 13,014 AG
    The problem is that now instead of 10 men stopping by the seafood market with money in their pocket to purchase something for dinner on their way home, there are only 3.

    But I know, you probably think too much gov't regulation or taxes, or the price you gotta pay to get good oysters, are the reason your sales have dropped.:rotflmao

    Wait, doesn't he take EBT cards? If so the other 7 are still coming, it is the 3 who can no longer afford to come, because they are buying for the other 7.
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
  • Team SabatageTeam Sabatage USA, USA, USAPosts: 13,014 AG
    greggl wrote: »
    Technology is destroying jobs faster than it is creating them.

    Been that way for 30 years. Never going back.
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    sk018 wrote: »
    Nope its the degenerate uneducated lazy ******** who would rather protest something they know nothing about then go to work.
    That and all their lot of kids with different women who are raised to follow suit

    jeeeeebus, you're talking about 0.01% of the population.

    Gawd, you really hate people A LOT!!!!
  • JBondJBond Posts: 5,039 Officer
    bswiv wrote: »
    Labor of limited ability and exhibiting poor reliability commands not to much......as should be the case.

    And I will point you at this.

    Thirty years ago in the timber business here in the South it would take a crew of 6-10 men on a cut, a number of them running chain saws. Today the number is 3, one in a skidder, one in a feller/buncher and one on the cutoff/loader. Chain saws, while not completely eliminated are rare.

    And guess what? And you should like this!!!

    The accident rate for loggers here in the South has gone down.

    So we have higher production with fewer workers in a safer environment. So where is the problem?
    The problem is that now instead of 10 men stopping by the seafood market with money in their pocket to purchase something for dinner on their way home, there are only 3.

    But I know, you probably think too much gov't regulation or taxes, or the price you gotta pay to get good oysters, are the reason your sales have dropped.:rotflmao

    bswiv, You own a seafood shop? Hook a bro up. Good seafood is hard to find in Kansas.
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,327 Officer
    phlatsphil wrote: »
    jeeeeebus, you're talking about 0.01% of the population

    :rotflmao
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,651 AG
    greggl wrote: »
    Technology is destroying jobs faster than it is creating them.

    This ^

    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?174644-As-more-and-more-gets-automated
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,112 Admiral
    The problem is that now instead of 10 men stopping by the seafood market with money in their pocket to purchase something for dinner on their way home, there are only 3.

    But I know, you probably think too much gov't regulation or taxes, or the price you gotta pay to get good oysters, are the reason your sales have dropped.:rotflmao

    Sales are actually up.....because it's safer and healthier than beef!!

    Seriously though........I agree that more people with more money would be ideal for us. Where we diverge, at least I think where we diverge, is that I accept the idea that we as humans must evolve as we live in a ever changing world and that part of that evolution is to understand and be constantly planning for the distinct possibility that what you have learned to do will possibly not be viable at some point.

    As for the "government regulations" in our industry......if only they were in place only as a result of demonstrated significant health risks. Unfortunately, as is the case in some many industries, regulations are a TOOL of the large used to hold the small down as the marginal costs of compliance are higher for the small.

    And you mentioned oysters. Cost is to some extent inflated because there are so many people in this country with compromised or weak immune systems who WILL not forgo raw protein as they should. This causes the oyster industry to have to spend greater and greater portions of it's time and resources addressing something that is a personal responsibility.

    I'll not go on..........
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 21,179 AG
    greggl wrote: »
    Technology is destroying jobs faster than it is creating them.
    Always has. Nothing new.
    Labor is what it's worth.
  • sjm1582002sjm1582002 Posts: 4,363 Captain
    greggl wrote: »
    Technology is destroying jobs faster than it is creating them.

    This is not a new observation.

    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite

    …The Luddites were 19th-century English textile artisans who protested against newly developed labour-replacing machinery from 1811 to 1817. The stocking frames, spinning frames and power looms introduced during the Industrial Revolution threatened to replace the artisans with less-skilled, low-wage labourers, leaving them without work.…"

    "…The British Army clashed with the Luddites on several occasions. At one time, more British soldiers were fighting the Luddites than were fighting Napoleon on the Iberian Peninsula…."
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,112 Admiral
    sjm1582002 wrote: »
    This is not a new observation.

    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite

    …The Luddites were 19th-century English textile artisans who protested against newly developed labour-replacing machinery from 1811 to 1817. The stocking frames, spinning frames and power looms introduced during the Industrial Revolution threatened to replace the artisans with less-skilled, low-wage labourers, leaving them without work.…"

    "…The British Army clashed with the Luddites on several occasions. At one time, more British soldiers were fighting the Luddites than were fighting Napoleon on the Iberian Peninsula…."

    Somewhat disturbing that the modern progressive is supportive of a Luddite mentality while at the same time supportive of a powerful central government possessed of the means to...........oh why bother......they don't get it.
  • SWFL_F1sh0nSWFL_F1sh0n Posts: 17,248 Officer
    Almost none that money made it to the "shovel ready" construction projects. Sadly, almost all that money was gobbled up to prop up general revenue budgets and keep government union worked employed.

    The country would have been much better off if the construction project would have been built, as infrastructure is the only government spending that throws off cash, in the form of increased GDP.

    Instead we have this. It is current as of last Sunday night. Watch it. >>>>> http://www.cbsnews.com/news/falling-apart-america-neglected-infrastructure/
    I never understood why folks like you think government employees should just go work 40 hours a week for free with no benefits, but are all about the CEO that runs a company into the ground and escapes with a 30 million $ parachute. Freakin disguising.

    However as the topic is about ditch diggers, I'll give you some leeway.
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    I never understood why folks like you think government employees should just go work 40 hours a week for free with no benefits, but are all about the CEO that runs a company into the ground and escapes with a 30 million $ parachute. Freakin disguising.

    However as the topic is about ditch diggers, I'll give you some leeway.

    Could be that most govt employees contribute very little in fact most hinder.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,975 Captain
    greggl wrote: »
    Technology is destroying jobs faster than it is creating them.
    My money is on the cost of 20 low wage workers, based on global labor prices,
    vs the cost of a technological exoskeleton....

    Technology has no concerns with long term social solutions,
    A few band-aids at best.......
    Our next generation of brilliant minds will mock our social skills.
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,975 Captain
    greggl wrote: »
    Jobs aren't the problem.. the value of labor is.
    Only when Globalism starts enchroching into our own field of labor.
    Heck we all loved migrant fruit and veggie pickers for years. I haven't paid any more money for pool service, lawn service and house cleaning since the late 80's. Residentual construction labor prices are still at pre-recession market prices. I'm thinking about taking a medical vacation to Tiawan to get the battery changed in my St.Jude model CD223140.

    The compitition of Global Capitalism is only a toad when it affects
    the wage structure of our particular field of labor.,...
    I can hire some good graphics guys for 15.00 per hr off the big web.
    But the only way we can keep "shovel" labor prices down, is by
    allowing more "shovelers" into this country.

    Global Capitalism translates into beating down wages.
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 21,179 AG
    greggl wrote: »
    Productivity multiplication and creative destruction.


    http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/products/exoskeleton/FORTIS.html

    Technology is horrible.... You probably would have blown out the first fire out of your fear of it.

    Rustic_Water_Wheel_by_HauntingVisionsStock.jpg
  • SWFL_F1sh0nSWFL_F1sh0n Posts: 17,248 Officer
    sk018 wrote: »
    Nope its the degenerate uneducated lazy ******** who would rather protest something they know nothing about then go to work.
    That and all their lot of kids with different women who are raised to follow suit

    And we already have a tea party comment.
  • SWFL_F1sh0nSWFL_F1sh0n Posts: 17,248 Officer
    JBond wrote: »
    bswiv, You own a seafood shop? Hook a bro up. Good seafood is hard to find in Kansas.

    Typical GOP'r, always looking for a handout.
  • SWFL_F1sh0nSWFL_F1sh0n Posts: 17,248 Officer
    fins4me wrote: »
    Could be that most govt employees contribute very little in fact most hinder.

    Could it be you are wrong? There are slackers in every company and there are people that shine at every company.
Sign In or Register to comment.