More Nice Gags Sept 29th

Yvonne and her crew had never caught grouper trolling before and wanted to see what all the fuss was over. We broke the Venice Inlet around 8:00 am and headed out a few miles to the 50 ft mark. The first hour was filled with spanish mackerel and a few (just) short RG's on our first ledge.
We moved another 2 miles to the south and started connecting on the yellow Bomber CD 30's. This is some of the easiest grouper fishing you can do, and best of all is the easy cleanup at the end of the day. No bait and blood all over, cutting boards and scales. Last week the popular color was the traditional red/white CD30, so far this week, yellow has been the producer. Looks like we will have one more day to fish before the winds pick up a lil. Get out there and get them, they are all over !
yvonnegag1.jpg
rickgag1.jpg
raygag1.jpg
K

Replies

• Rusty TrumpetRusty Trumpet Posts: 35 Deckhand
    Awesome report. How long do you have to troll between fish?
  • Mr. DemeanorMr. Demeanor Posts: 370 Officer
    What pound test braid are you using?
    Give me a call or email when you have a few minutes.
  • Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    What pound test braid are you using?

I'd bet 50 or 65 LB....
    Also, looking for input on the top four colors for the CD30. I know red/white is likely number one for many but which others do you like.
  • MattDMattD Posts: 168 Officer
    Bubble gum is my favorite here in the tampa bay area. probably followed by red/white and black/gold.
  • Feeding FrenzyFeeding Frenzy Posts: 247 Officer
    I really like the 50 lb PP braid, with a 15-20 ft topshot of 50 lb. Red and white was hot last week, this week it was yellow. Every year the color pattern has changed without much rhyme or reason. If I had to pick only a few colors, I'd go red/whi, yellow/whi, gold/black, and then dorado.

As far as the question about the frequency of strikes, every spot is different. I try to hit several spots each day at different depths. On some spots, you may only pick up one fish. Usually though, those singles are slobs in the 33-34" range. Go to another spot, and you may pick up 3 or 4 28 - 30" fish, one right after the other. It depends. I think if you look at the time/date stamp on the pics above, 2 of the fish were taken only 10 minutes apart.

One big key to this that I firmly believe in, don't hammer one spot too hard, and too often. I never fish out one spot. There is sooooooo much good, broken bottom out there that it is rediculous. One of our biggest fish the other day came over what was sand bottom. I got to thinking about it and realized that all it takes is one patch of rock, a sea-fan or a sunken 5 gallon bucket on the bottom to hold a gag. Think outside the box and explore. It will pay off.

K
    K
    Thanks guys, that works! We are placing our order with Bomber to re-stock and just needed some color suggestions.
  • Fish N ChicksFish N Chicks Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Interesting that you are using braid with a leader for trolling....I use monofilament line with a leader for trolling (braid for bottom grouper digging) cuz I was always told braid did not have enough stretch for trolling. This would lead to the lure being ripped out of the fish's mouth. Do you see any advantage to using braid for trolling over mono?
  • mkpaintmkpaint Posts: 53 Deckhand
    i use braid for trolling but have a mono leader to absorb shock but we are trolling for mahi or kings and our drags are set light so for grouper i don't know how heavy drags are at strike.
    Fish N Chicks,

Great question. The line we choose for trolling depends on what we are trolling for. Pelagic fish (marlin, sails, dolphin, etc) always see our mono rigs put into use, especially for any species that jumps.

For grouper trolling however, we use the braided line with a long "top-shot" (a 15-20 ft section of 50 lb mono). The long mono leader serves two purposes. First, it is less visible to the fish, and second, the long section allows for a certain degree of stretch on the strike. It essentially acts like a shock absorber for the initial hard jolt.

The reason we use braid in the first place for grouper trolling is because with the much thinner line diameter, the lure can get very deep. In fact, if done right, you can get a Bomber Cd30 down to depths around 60 ft. A huge advantage over mono line.

Hope that clears it up for you !!

K
    K
  • Mako224Mako224 Posts: 434 Deckhand
    Are you trolling in line with a plnner or just running the cd-30's deep enough to scrtch the bottom? What speed are you trolling at?
    Mako,

A CD 30 or any large lipped plug for that matter will not run behind a planer. Simply too much resistance will cause the planer to trip. However, a Bomber Long-A works great in conjunction with a #2 or #3 planer. A Bomber CD30 does not need any help getting down to depths of around 50 feet under the right conditions.
    We are usually trolling between 5-7 MPH
    K