Home General Fishing

Left hand cast.

DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
So I fish a lot of mangrove shorelines. I'm right handed. I find my self thinking **** I wish I could skip cast left handed, or even just side arm cast left handed. I've been trying, but it's just not working out. I can backhand one hand cast, but I just can't get as much power behind it and I come up short or it doesn't skip. Any you guys teach yourselves, and how long was the learning curve.
"No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org

Replies

• linesider 159linesider 159 Posts: 828 Officer
    Maybe 1 day learning curve. Key is getting the rod tip low and whipping the rod. Do not follow through with cast like regular. You want the bait to hover over surface of water and stay flat. Not many people cast one handed, i dont. Not near as much power or accuracy
    2016 Sterling 220XS (SOLD), see build thread here: Here
    2005 Lake and Bay Backwater (SOLD)
    Current Boats: 2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,957 Captain
    Darcy wrote: »
    So I fish a lot of mangrove shorelines. I'm right handed. I find my self thinking **** I wish I could skip cast left handed, or even just side arm cast left handed. I've been trying, but it's just not working out. I can backhand one hand cast, but I just can't get as much power behind it and I come up short or it doesn't skip. Any you guys teach yourselves, and how long was the learning curve.

I'm a dominate lefty, somewhat ambidextrous, but not for efficient casting.........

As a lefty, I've resolved to the fact that to be the most efficient working the mangrove
    shorelines, I need to work from right to left. Moving myself closer or further to the mangroves to get the best
    "angles" as the shoreline changes. I've found for myself that my position, in making a quality cast,
    was more important than whether I was left or right handed.

This is my perspective as an arti guy, particularly top water.
    So maybe the live bait guys may have a different perspective.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    I'm a pretty coordinated person... played sports all my life. Could switch hit fairly well. But left handed casting is something that IMO would take me a whole season of fishing 2x a week to get 75% as good as I am with my right hand. It would definitely come in handy at times... but like said above I just backhand it in there. I'm better at back handing than left handed, that's for sure.
    I guess if I had a goal to be able to do it... I'd start out one day on a flat and just do nothing but left handed casts til it felt not so goofy... then get closer and closer to the mangroves. You might be surprised how fast you'll pick it up.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    Kmag. I hear ya. I've been practicing for a while and it's still feels not right. Not sure it ever will. It's only a prob when I'm fishing on friends boats.. I'm usually at the stern going left to right. Lol. Need to find new friends who are left handed. :)
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Am left handed, but have always used regular spinning reels meant for right handers. However I also use regular conventional reels. Thus it's natural for me to switch back & forth, using either hand to crank reel or hold pole. Trying to use a left handed reel does not feel right.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    MACD wrote: »
    I'm a dominate lefty, somewhat ambidextrous, but not for efficient casting.........

I am the same...a lefty ambidextrous. But I cast a spinning rod right-handed and a baitcaster left-handed, and I'm deadly accurate with either. But I can't do the opposite. Back in the 1950's when I learned to cast the reels were made that way - Crank baitcasters with my right hand and spinners with my left hand. I wasn't taught to switch hands when casting a baitcaster.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Work the line from the opposite direction to take advantage of your ability. And check out Jimmie Houston's casting style; it's a nice low angle.
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,957 Captain
    bonephish wrote: »
    I am the same...a lefty ambidextrous. But I cast a spinning rod right-handed and a baitcaster left-handed, .
    My oldest son does it that way too, and quite efficant at it

I'm best with a bait caster as a lefty,.....

I tease my son that I smack a dragonfly off a mangrove leaf at 30 yds.:)