Home General Fishing

Saltwater SwimBaits

Cpt.IzzyCpt.Izzy Posts: 29 Greenhorn
Lately, I have been going out to target some big tarpon and snook. My luck with tarpon is horrible, I have no problem hooking them and getting to where they are but when i manage to get a good hookset as soon as there is pressure on the line the swimbaits hook will straighten. Anyone know any good swimbaits about 4-5 inches, that has a solid hook?

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    Whats you're drag like? I have only seen straightened hooks bottom fishing for grouper etc, or when my friends tried to catch a redfish on a bass thin wire hook.

Which swim baits do you use? Strike king makes good jigs for soft plastics
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    I prefer the DOA Baitbuster for tarpon, but even with that lure, you'll lose a few to straightened hooks.

The trolling model has a bit of a heavier hook, and that's the one I use.

None of the newer swimbaits has nearly as strong of a hook, and I've tried just about all of them. If there is, I'd love to hear more.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Treble hooks on most swim baits are notoriously thin wired and weak. This is because that instead of all the pressure of the hook set going into one hook, like in a jig or live bait, that pressure is spread out among a possible (though not usually) 6 or 9 hook points. Therefore it is much more difficult to get a hook set into a tarpon, using the hooks that come out of the box. With all your pressure spread out amongst all those hook points, only the tips of the hooks are penetrating. It is MUCH easier to bend out a hook when only the point is in the fish.

What most anglers have been doing, is substituting single hooks for the trebles, and using fewer of them, to boot. The trailer would be the most important.

Aside from that I think I can safely say that the most successful casting plug for tarpon and actually getting them to the boat, has been the MirroLure 52 M 17. It is a slow sinker (for shallow water and laid up fish) and has 3 sets of trebles. The 69 M 17 is a shorter, deeper bodied plug and a fast sinker, with 2 sets of trebles. I used them in the deeper and faster moving channel water of the backcountry.

I have gotten several tarpon to the boat over the years, using both plugs, but if we were really serious about catching one, a single hook was much more of a sure thing.

With snook, you shouldn't be having a problem. (it says here :wink )
    .......Rick
  • chasintail7chasintail7 Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    Ive heard the old Berkley Powerbait swimbaits had strong hooks before they changed them if you could find those somehow. (stronger than Storm, Tsunami, new Berkley swimbaits)
  • chasintail7chasintail7 Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    Or use a trolling baitbuster or swimming mullet but make sure to sharpen the hooks a little
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,402 Captain
    Ive heard the old Berkley Powerbait swimbaits had strong hooks before they changed them if you could find those somehow. (stronger than Storm, Tsunami, new Berkley swimbaits)

I wasn't aware that they changed them, but the Berkleys were the only swimbaits that I've ever used that didn't fold. Storm/Calcuttas are absolute garbage. They'll bend on the strike with a decent fish. Savage has on worth looking at, but I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    Hogy makes the Barbarian Jig Head just for the purpose you describe, big nasty fish on soft plastics. They are pretty expensive though, like $3+ per jig head. They are unbelievably sharp and seem plenty strong for poons. I played around with some of their large paddle tails with a 1/2 oz Barbarian jig head a little this fall for poons. Got a couple of eats on a slow morning but couldn't keep a hook in them when they jumped just like any other lure for poons, getting them stuck good is really tough.
  • snippersnipper Posts: 524 Officer
    buy some vmc 4x or 6x heavy hooks. you may have to use 1 treble for the swimmer to run properly
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,402 Captain
    snipper wrote: »
    buy some vmc 4x or 6x heavy hooks. you may have to use 1 treble for the swimmer to run properly

The OP is talking about soft plastic swimmers.
  • Snookman77Snookman77 Posts: 1,099 Officer
    I love my Berkley Powerbaits in the Bunker color for Snook. I landed a nice slot Snook just yesterday on one.
  • snippersnipper Posts: 524 Officer
    The OP is talking about soft plastic swimmers.

he might be but he didn't say that in his op
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    x's 2
    Snookman77 wrote: »
    I love my Berkley Powerbaits in the Bunker color for Snook. I landed a nice slot Snook just yesterday on one.
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You