Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Hawaiian Poke (BFT)

Go MongoGo Mongo Posts: 2,112 Captain
I learned this recipe while living on the Big Island back in the day. Traditionally AHI POKE, I think BFT works just as well.

Also "traditionally" you add a little seaweed, but I dont know where to find it locally so I skip it.

Given the fact that our region has been literally covered in BTFs this week (and considering they don't freeze so well) I thought I'd share this and hope you guys give it a try:

1. Fillet out 4 football sized BFT's, sashimi grade (quality over quantity, no bloodlines/no ribmeat);

2. Slice into small (1/4 inch) cubes;

3. Place in a nonreactive bowl and add the following;

4. 1 chopped (1/4 inch) sweet onion;

5. 1 bundle of chopped (1/4 inch) green onion (the size bundle you find at publix);

6. 2-3 table spoons of white sesame seeds;

7. 2-3 table spoons of sesame oil;

8. Fill the bowl with Soy Sauce until it nearly covers the fish and veggies;

9. Mix it all up real good with a your hand;

10. Place covered in the fridge over night.

By morning this will be amazing.

Great side dish or app and goes especially well with an ice cold beer. Steinlager seems to be the traditional the beer of choice, but again, hard to find around here so I think Heinekin is a good substitute.

Give it a try and report back!
“Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea

Replies

• pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    BFT freezes well. In fact, I believe it is required to be frozen at very low temps to kill certain parasites.
  • Go MongoGo Mongo Posts: 2,112 Captain
    I think it freezes well enough if I am going to cook it, but for sashimi fish, (aside from the ice-slushy insulated fishbox), I prefer to keep it fresh, especially a fatty fish like BFT.

I would think the Health Department requires resturants to freeze their seafood to kill certian parasites. I am not running a resturant.

What do you think of the recipe? Give it a try.
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    Just reading this recipe made me drool...
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,028 Admiral
    They even use Skipjack Tuna in Hawaii for Poke. I agree with pup about freezing overnight to kill parasites. All sushi that is served at Sushi Bars has been frozen.
    The recipe you provided is a good one. You can get dried Japanese Wakame seaweed at most Asian markets to substitute for the Hawaiian seaweed. You just have to re-constitute it.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Looks like seaweed is going back in the mix. Thanks for the heads up!
  • captainjtsmithcaptainjtsmith Posts: 56 Deckhand
    WHILE LIVING ON MAUI.... I LEARNED A SIMILAR RECIPE....

...TAKE ABOUT 1/4 CUP OF SWEETENED RICE WINE VINEGAR (YOU CAN FIND IN THE ASIAN SECTION AT PUBLIX) AND 2 TABLESPOONS OF SHIRACHI HOT SAUCE.... MIX THIS WITH YOUR OTHER INGREDIENTS FOR A KICKED UP VERSION OF POKE'
    WHILE LIVING ON MAUI.... I LEARNED A SIMILAR RECIPE....

...TAKE ABOUT 1/4 CUP OF SWEETENED RICE WINE VINEGAR (YOU CAN FIND IN THE ASIAN SECTION AT PUBLIX) AND 2 TABLESPOONS OF SHIRACHI HOT SAUCE.... MIX THIS WITH YOUR OTHER INGREDIENTS FOR A KICKED UP VERSION OF POKE'

Is that also called Korean style? I remember the Korean style poke but never knew the ingredients. It is fantastic and I will use your recipe on the next batch for sure.
    Yes... Korean.... or Pac Rim... its awesome.... google "Caliches" Wishbone in Playa Jaco Costa Rica.... they have this version and its awesome..... its served in a bowl over sticky rice and steamed spinach, topped with TUNA that has been soaked in the marinade and then avocado, green onions and sesame seeds.... YUM YUM....
  • magicmikemagicmike Posts: 31 Deckhand
    I'm totally addicted to Poke. Here's the recipe I use in case you want to try something different:

• 1 lb. Sashimi grade tuna cut in 1 inch cubes
    • 1/4 cup Maui onions (or sweet onion like vidallia) chopped
    • 3 scallions finely sliced- use part of green part
    • 1/4 cup soy sauce- use Japanese it’s lighter salt than U.S. Soy sauce
    • 2 tsp oyster sauce (optional)
    • 1 tsp brown sugar
    • 1 tsp sriracha chili sauce (or to taste)
    • 1 Tbsp toasted macadamia nuts finely chopped (toasted, see below)
    • 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
    • 1 tsp sesame oil

Roast Macadamia nuts at 300 degrees for 5 to 8 min. Until golden brown.
    Toast sesame seeds in a skillet till browned.
    Mix all ingredients in a bowl, gently stir in tuna and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
    Serve as is or on romaine leaves or in lettuce cups.
    It's also fantastic rolled into sushi with a little cucumber and cream cheese.
    Lettuce wraps sound great
    Sounds awesome... cant wait to give this one a try.... hopefully I bring home some fresh tuna this weekend
  • TomSTomS Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Good stuff, we have it all the time. G.F. is Korean and grew up Hawaiian, we don't eat so bad.
  • kbkeyskbkeys Posts: 691 Officer
    FS Chefs. if you love poke and other hawaiian and pacific rim foods, try the following seasonings( get them in a good oriental market): togarashi..a blend of ground spices,chilis,citrus,etc. furikake rice seasonings...a blend of flakes of nori,seaweeds,sea salts. both are great as a rub or simply sprinkled on . enjoy
    TomS wrote: »
    Good stuff, we have it all the time. G.F. is Korean and grew up Hawaiian, we don't eat so bad.

Tried this today... (BFT we caught yesterday off of Marathon)...... awesome recipe... I encourage all to try.... will try to take pics next time... we were wore out and too buzzed to be thinkn' of pics... but the POKE' was awesome... tell your G.F. ... I said thanks.... will make this often... pass along any other Korean tasties she knows.....
  • Flats BossFlats Boss Posts: 68 Deckhand
    Good grinds! I love poke.
    16' Ankona Shadowcast
  • Big BertBig Bert Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Awesome recipe. Tried it with some YFT.. Also twisted up some bang bang shrimp and washed it down with a super dirty, vodka martini.
    BocaRaton-20111007-00036.jpg?t=1318252816

Oh yeah, I like a little spice, so I added the hot sesame oil in place of the regular sesame oil..
    BocaRaton-20111007-00033.jpg?t=1318253256
    That is insane! Very nice.
  • isla21isla21 Posts: 2,115 Officer
    Sounds awesome(all of them) Thanks!
  • isla21isla21 Posts: 2,115 Officer
    My wife made the poke and also did a tutorial on her website http://thevillagecook.com/hawiian-poke
  • CoolchangeCoolchange Posts: 377 Officer
    I cheat and just order a case of seasoning from the Big island every year. Everyone that get's turned on to Poke get's hooked!
  • dougmaysdougmays Posts: 288 Officer
    I've never tried poke but ill try this for sure next time i catch some tuna! thanks for posting!
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,028 Admiral
    isla21 wrote: »
    My wife made the poke and also did a tutorial on her website http://thevillagecook.com/hawiian-poke

Well you have to be proud of her. Looks great!

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• castnet3castnet3 Posts: 32 Deckhand
    Late 70's was stationed at Ft Shafter...most Friday afternoons I would go to a deli located on the western outskirts of Honolulu...can't remember the name it was a pink building ..anyway would purchase quart /pint containers of poke either Ahu or Aki , swordfish, octopus what ever looked good that they had prepared that day....back home wife & I would eat most of it with an Oly...if I ever make it back, thats the first place I'm going
  • EASTINFECTIONEASTINFECTION Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Isla 21, just tried the recipe with some fresh tuna , never had it before and it was very addicting. We followed the recipe and let it sit overnight. After you try that it will make you smack your grandma . That stuff was righ Wow . Different strokes for different pokes?!
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    I do it similar except I use basil instead of onions and do not drench it in sesame oil. We make sticky rice and place it on top and sprinkle "Rice Spice: from the asian market. Bart showed me this and it is great with Tuna,Marlin and Sailfish...Yes Sailfish! You would not know the difference!
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif